V+C

Getting nervous for K1 interview in India

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi all VJ members,

I am getting really nervous for my Fiance's interview at the Mumbaii consulate in India. I have been reading a lot of cases of Interracial couples in India specifically who are trying to get a K1 visa are just getting 221g for various reasons. Is there any India K1 Interracial couples out there that got their visa approved on the day of their interview?? Just getting really nervous and the sad thing is that it has nothing to do with our paperwork, the interview, or our proof of relationship. I'm nervous because we are an interracial couple!!

Thank You, Chrystal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from K1 to India regional forum for country specific answers ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Just getting really nervous and the sad thing is that it has nothing to do with our paperwork, the interview, or our proof of relationship. I'm nervous because we are an interracial couple!!

No need to get nervous! Your case is yours, and each case has its own circumstances. If you can present the facts to stand out your case, then it will help alot. But whatever you show, must be solid proof. The most important thing that plays the role - how often, and how much you guys have spent the time together in person, commitment, etc etc.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

No need to get nervous! Your case is yours, and each case has its own circumstances. If you can present the facts to stand out your case, then it will help alot. But whatever you show, must be solid proof. The most important thing that plays the role - how often, and how much you guys have spent the time together in person, commitment, etc etc.

I have read your case and you went to live in India to be with your fiance. My Fiance lived in the US for 5 years, but we only started dating 4 months before his visa was ending for him to return to India. He had planned on returning to India to live the remainder of his life before we met, so he was not pursuing on continuing his visa. Wouldn't you know we met 4 months before his visa ended and fell in love. So I spent four months with him in US before he left. I have not went to visit him in India because I have two young sons and their father had recently died, so I am the only parent and could not leave them in US for me to travel to India. I have sent a letter explaining that. I am just really nervous because I just keep seeing all these interracial couples not getting their visa approved. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Very much appreciated!! Chrystal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I have read your case and you went to live in India to be with your fiance. My Fiance lived in the US for 5 years, but we only started dating 4 months before his visa was ending for him to return to India. He had planned on returning to India to live the remainder of his life before we met, so he was not pursuing on continuing his visa. Wouldn't you know we met 4 months before his visa ended and fell in love. So I spent four months with him in US before he left. I have not went to visit him in India because I have two young sons and their father had recently died, so I am the only parent and could not leave them in US for me to travel to India. I have sent a letter explaining that. I am just really nervous because I just keep seeing all these interracial couples not getting their visa approved. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Very much appreciated!! Chrystal

I truly understand your situation, Chrystal. Don't worry! Everything will be fine. Please dont worry about visa outcome. Things will be fine. Interview outcome is not the final verdict of your love life. Even there is some question left in CO mind, that is all right, you can fulfill the requirement. I know it is painful when there is waiting, but that is way it is. Be assured, CO in Mumbai Consulate are supportive. They want to help the person, but they want to ensure that relationship is real. I wish you guys good luck! Please take care!

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Hi Crystal!

I hope this finds you well, in all the happiness you and your husband have worked so hard for.

I wanted to talk to you, as you and I are in a similar position! The love of my life is also from India. We are not officially engaged, but we know we want to be together, and we are trying hard to find out how to get him into this country safely. Do you have any words of advice?

Take care

Hadley

LOVE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

There are many inter-racial couples that got there visas approved right away.

The issue typically isn't mixed-race - there is actually a topic in this forum on inter-racial relationships. Some sail right through, some have headaches.

What it appears COs look for is a "logical" relationship. If any common man on the street were to bump into the two of you together - would he think "oh a couple", "oh friends", or "what in the world?". If someone heard the story of your relationship, would it make sense?

The other angle that the COs look at is the "local tradition" angle. This is where a lot of mixed-couples actually do have problems. Divorce is so rare in India, marrying a divorcee is seen as highly suspect. The traditional norms for age comparison is the male being older and the female being younger. A woman with a child out of wedlock would never be chosen by a family to marry their son. Widows don't remarry. Etc, etc, etc. [Yes, there are some people who buck these norms but they are few and far between in the 1.3 billion Indians.] I know it sounds like the 1950s America - but that is where the vast majority of Indian culture still is today. The COs have been trained extensively on all of this...

Does any of this doom your case to failure if it doesn't follow the above criteria? NO. Here's the thing, the CO is human and most likely has a pretty good built-in BS meter [i personally thing they hire and place FSOs in the immigrant visa sections based on their innate abilities to read people - yes, the COs are further trained, but I think they need to have a little sparkle of that ahead of time to pass muster]. They will get a feel/vibe of what's going on. Sometimes they can look through all the red flags and see the relationship is genuine, but sometimes they don't. Especially in the consulates in India, they don't have a lot of time to read through the case materials/evidence, etc.

The point here is that a LOT of pieces factor into this huge question of "Will I get approved?".

The best you can do is prepare your fiance with the best evidence you can gather up. 4 months together in the US is great and hopefully you have some good evidence from that time period!

If all heck does break loose and he's denied, there are ways to deal with it. But, you would need to deal with it smartly. As I've stated numerous time all over vj, you need to look at your relationship as a legal case not a warm and fuzzy romantic story - and that can be hard to do because to you it's a warm and fuzzy romantic story :) .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.