Cathi

looking for MENA success stories

373 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm not sure what a "success story" is, but my husband and I are 11 years apart have been married for 2 1/2 years, and he's been here just under a year. We haven't had any problems to date and we communicate really well and talk to each other about everything. We haven't had any problems with our differences in age, and we don't even notice it. No one looks at us funny or strange, or asks questions, or anything, so maybe they don't notice the age difference either. He adjusted here without any problems, but I figured he would because he has a very easy-going personality and he "never" gets frustrated. Seriously....I have never known anyone that can be so positive all of the time. He's just a happy person and we are very happy together:) . The only thing he needs to and is working on is "time".....lol I'm sure you all know what I mean :P But he's working on it and getting better with it every day. :)

We have talked about moving back to Jordan at some point. Right now the US is the only option as I have 2 children who I would never dream of taking away from their Dad. As much as my ex was a terrible husband, he has always been a great father, my children idolize him. My new husband will buy a house or condo in Amman, and we will travel back and forth at least once a year, and maybe someday permanently. Jordan is pretty liberal overall , I would miss a few creature comforts from the US, but other than that I would love to live there. I live in NH so it's far from the hustle and bustle of the city, very quiet. He can't wait to see trees and mountains and lakes and the ocean and all the great things New England has to offer, Jordan is pretty much desert once you get outside of Amman. He is pretty easy going much like your husband, takes a lot to upset him, always smiling. Hopefully he stays that way once he gets here. After living with my 2 teenage kids we'll see how that goes rofl.gif

Timeline

good.gif

I wish all the couples here all the happiness and success in their marriages.

The OP wanted to know if there were any "success stories" among the older woman/younger MENA male couples. I think the vets (and I'm sorry if anyone feels slighted by that term - I just mean people who have been here for 6 or 7 or 8 years and have observed literally hundreds of couples come through this forum) are just speaking from what we've seen. And most of us answered in a rather consistent fashion -

We all agreed that two or three years into a marriage is much too early to call it a "success story." (Personally, I think I'll be willing to talk about my marriage in terms of being "successful" when we get to the 15- or 20- or 30-year mark - but that's just me.)

But certainly, there are success stories among older women/younger MENA men couples - and by that I mean marriages that are still going well after the immigrant spouse's 10-year card and naturalization.

But among couples with 20-year age differences, we've only seen a few (like 3 or 4) out of the maybe dozens that have passed through here.

That's just the truth.

Again, I wish all the couples here a happy and successful marriage. I think everyone here joins me in hoping that the Class of Significantly Older Women/Younger MENA Men 2012 has a much better "stay-together" rate than the classes of 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and dare I say 2009.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We have talked about moving back to Jordan at some point. Right now the US is the only option as I have 2 children who I would never dream of taking away from their Dad. As much as my ex was a terrible husband, he has always been a great father, my children idolize him. My new husband will buy a house or condo in Amman, and we will travel back and forth at least once a year, and maybe someday permanently. Jordan is pretty liberal overall , I would miss a few creature comforts from the US, but other than that I would love to live there. I live in NH so it's far from the hustle and bustle of the city, very quiet. He can't wait to see trees and mountains and lakes and the ocean and all the great things New England has to offer, Jordan is pretty much desert once you get outside of Amman. He is pretty easy going much like your husband, takes a lot to upset him, always smiling. Hopefully he stays that way once he gets here. After living with my 2 teenage kids we'll see how that goes rofl.gif

I can't WAIT to bring him up north....we went there every year almost my entire life growing up, and it is so beautiful. And we're only 45 min from Boston, can't wait to take him on the T into Boston. Oh, and of course the coast, which isn't too far from us either. I think we live in the best place in NH, so "close" to everything!

Edited by tany1157

Never give up on anything God has told you to believe for; never quit doing anything He has clearly shown you to do. Your diligence will pay off with a blessing from God." -Joyce Meyers

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Interview in Casablanca January 2010

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Interview in Casablanca March 2011

-Results DENIED

-USCIS received May 10, 2011

-NOIR received January 30, 2012

-NOIR sent February 21, 2012

-NOIR received by USCIS February 22, 2012

-NOIR response February 28, 2012--REAFFIRMED!

-NVC received petition March 19, 2012

-Petition sent to Casa March 20, 2012

-Consulate called husband to set interview March 26, 2012

-Interview set for April 2, 2012 at 3pm!!

-Interview results--APPROVED!

-Civil documents in--April 5, 2012

-Consulate called April 6, 2012 to pick up visa following Monday

-IR1 received--April 9, 2012

-POE--May 9, 2012

-Applied SS card--May 23, 2012

-Received SS card--May 26, 2012

-Received Welcome Letter--May 29, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Received 10 year GC--June 4, 2012

-Applied for citizenship--February/March 2015

-Request for more proof/evidence--July 2015

-Approved--July 2015

-Citizenship Ceremony-- August 2015

NO MORE IMMIGRATION!!????

Timeline

I can't WAIT to bring him up north....we went there every year almost my entire life growing up, and it is so beautiful. And we're only 45 min from Boston, can't wait to take him on the T into Boston. Oh, and of course the coast, which isn't too far from us either. I think we live in the best place in NH, so "close" to everything!

I know..riding the "t" is going to be so much fun. He always asks about trains..lol...must be a guy thing. I guess it's because he sees it on TV and in the movies but they don;t have them there. The thing we take for granted are the things that excite him the most about coming here. I was telling him this morning what you said about your hubby wanting lobster as his first meal..and of course he changed his mind and now he wants lobster as his first meal too...I'm thinking his first meal will be mcdonalds drive thru rofl.gifwhistling.gif

Timeline

I know..riding the "t" is going to be so much fun. He always asks about trains..lol...must be a guy thing. I guess it's because he sees it on TV and in the movies but they don;t have them there. The thing we take for granted are the things that excite him the most about coming here. I was telling him this morning what you said about your hubby wanting lobster as his first meal..and of course he changed his mind and now he wants lobster as his first meal too...I'm thinking his first meal will be mcdonalds drive thru rofl.gifwhistling.gif

:rofl: As he is getting in later in the evening, and my whole family is coming to get him with me, I think I will make something easy, and when we get back from Boston, he can eat and relax. I took that next day off, so we are going to have a big cookout, and I'll cook him that disgusting lobster :whistle: Just in case, there will be chicken :D I'm anxious to see the looks on the boys faces (my son and nephew) when Ouadia shows up at school with me to pick them up. :D

Never give up on anything God has told you to believe for; never quit doing anything He has clearly shown you to do. Your diligence will pay off with a blessing from God." -Joyce Meyers

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Results DENIED

-POE--May 9, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Approved--July 2015

Timeline

:rofl: As he is getting in later in the evening, and my whole family is coming to get him with me, I think I will make something easy, and when we get back from Boston, he can eat and relax. I took that next day off, so we are going to have a big cookout, and I'll cook him that disgusting lobster :whistle: Just in case, there will be chicken :D I'm anxious to see the looks on the boys faces (my son and nephew) when Ouadia shows up at school with me to pick them up. :D

I'm so excited for you!!!

Timeline

I'm so excited for you!!!

Thanks, me too :dance::D

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Results DENIED

-POE--May 9, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Approved--July 2015

Timeline

North Jordan isn't a desert, actually. :) Rainfall increases as you go toward the Galil. Ajloun is filled with yummy mulberries in the winter. Have you been?

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

North Jordan isn't a desert, actually. :) Rainfall increases as you go toward the Galil. Ajloun is filled with yummy mulberries in the winter. Have you been?

yes i have ..i have been all over the country, I spent my honeymoon in Aqaba, which is in the South of Jordan. Been furthest north to Irbid...and west...been all over :)

Timeline

yes i have ..i have been all over the country, I spent my honeymoon in Aqaba, which is in the South of Jordan. Been furthest north to Irbid...and west...been all over :)

east too :)

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

True - much of Jordan is desert, but not all of it. The Ghor (in the northern Jordan Valley) is quite the breadbasket.

2upfqd5.jpg

Very much like Palestine next door - there are areas of very arid desert, and then suddenly you find swaths of rich farmland. And the farmers are making the most of every inch of it.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

True - much of Jordan is desert, but not all of it. The Ghor (in the northern Jordan Valley) is quite the breadbasket.

2upfqd5.jpg

Very much like Palestine next door - there are areas of very arid desert, and then suddenly you find swaths of rich farmland. And the farmers are making the most of every inch of it.

Timeline

I know every inch of Jordan isn't desert. I was speaking of the general area where he lives. His family is from the north and they are all farmers, his dad and mom both own property in Irbid and use their land to farm olive trees, his aunts, uncles, cousins all own land and farm olives trees, I have spent months there. Even in Irbid which is farm country it is still very dry with the exception of a short time during the winter months when it rains.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

I know every inch of Jordan isn't desert. I was speaking of the general area where he lives. His family is from the north and they are all farmers, his dad and mom both own property in Irbid and use their land to farm olive trees, his aunts, uncles, cousins all own land and farm olives trees, I have spent months there. Even in Irbid which is farm country it is still very dry with the exception of a short time during the winter months when it rains.

Yes - Jordan's climate is very much like the climate in Palestine. The agricultural regions are rather dry in comparison with most of American- or European-type farms, but they have very fertile soil and with the right types of crops, are very productive even without added irrigation.

Olives are a perfect example of the right crop for this area - they thrive with long periods of dry weather after a good winter rain. Olive trees are also of course a major crop in Palestine - every family has some.

It's a beautiful landscape, really...

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.