Uncas76

Applying for N400 while abroad

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello All,

I have a quick question. I am hoping I can get an answer from somebody. Because, I received different answers from people.

I received my green card 08/07/2007 and it looks like I can apply for 5 year minus 90days, which turns out to be 05/09/2012.

I haven't traveled abroad more than 180days and I am residing in the same state for more than 3 months.(I have been at the same state for 17 years, same address for 3 years)

My question is I have to travel next week and I don't think I will be back before 05/09/2012, Can I leave my documents to a lawyer or a friend and they can submit it for me on 05/09/2012 while I was away.

I will be back at the end of may. Obviously, I do not wish to waste those weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You are splitting hairs here. One thing I do want to recommend is that since you are applying right when you are eligible, I would wait until you come back... Ree presents a good comment that you are traveling and how will you fill your application on trips? You can enter when you return but what if something happens and you extend/shorten your trip...

Since there is no deadline, you can wait until you come back and get things taken care of.

That being said, the answer to your question is yes, you can apply since you are eligible, but the little wrinkle mentioned above should not be overlooked.

I was eligible for several months when I applied for citizenship, but I decided to take a conservative route and wait until all the possible issues were taken care of in my case - I moved twice (knowing that I will) so I waited around 6 months so all my paperwork is filed at the same residence and not rely on USPS and USCIS to forward mail and change address.... that's just me, but everything went smooth and I never had to think back and wonder why I couldn't wait. Sometimes "cutting corners" could intorduce delays at USCIS that take much longer than the couple of weeks you are trying to eliminate at the beginning.

my 2 cents!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Thank you for your responses

I am planning to write down all my trips, including the last one. Since, I will know in advance which day I will be leaving.

I looked everywhere on the website and the documentations. It couldn't find anywhere where it states, you have to be in the country to submit the application.

I am planning to write down all my trips, including the last one. Since, I will know in advance which day I will be leaving.

I looked everywhere on the website and the documentations. It couldn't find anywhere where it states, you have to be in the country to submit the application.

What happens if you get an RFE, or they schedule your biometrics appointment while you are away? There is no deadline, no urgency to filing the N-400, so wait the extra few weeks to file. Besides, filing exactly 90 days before your anniversary date may cause some delay, since no final decision can be made until after your anniversary date.

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hello All,

I have a quick question. I am hoping I can get an answer from somebody. Because, I received different answers from people.

I received my green card 08/07/2007 and it looks like I can apply for 5 year minus 90days, which turns out to be 05/09/2012.

I haven't traveled abroad more than 180days and I am residing in the same state for more than 3 months.(I have been at the same state for 17 years, same address for 3 years)

My question is I have to travel next week and I don't think I will be back before 05/09/2012, Can I leave my documents to a lawyer or a friend and they can submit it for me on 05/09/2012 while I was away.

I will be back at the end of may. Obviously, I do not wish to waste those weeks.

Thanks in advance.

90 day rule is never prefered. Don't cut it so close if you don't have to. Physical presence is not as straigth forward as you think. If you for instance have traveled within the first 3 months after receiving your GC the physical presence counter is set to zero again. This kind of stuff has caused people to be denied.

If no other reasons are there to apply this quickly then just give yourself a couple of months extra.

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.

You can go ahead and apply. I did the same thing. I left for vacation on 12/1/2011 -01/05/2012. I left my application with a relative to mail around 12/14/2012. They did so and when I arrived in January, the NOA and a notice for fingerprints were in my mailbox.

At my interview she asked me if I had any trips that were not included in the N400. I mentioned the december trip and all she did was update my list of trips.

I would advise you not to add the May trip on the N400, wait till the interview then add it. Just in case something goes wrong and you have to adjust the dates.

Good Luck!

N400 Timeline Phoenix Lockbox

12/12/2011 N400 application mailed by regular post

12/16/2011 Check cashed

12/16/2011 NOA

01/09/2012 Fingerprints

01/19/2012 Interview letter mailed

02/23/2012 Interview Date (Passed)

02/27/2012 Oath scheduled - got email that letter was mailed.

03/16/2012 Oath Ceremony.

03/23/2012 Passport application mailed by usps, normal processing

04/09/2012 Passport received!

04/13/2012 Certificate of Naturalization received in the mailbox! Done with USCIS Yaaaay!

You won't know what day you return though, even if you have a day planned something could happen, and you won't be able to calculate your days out of the country without it.

Filed: Other Timeline

Would you believe me that filing right at the 90-day mark can cause a delay of several months?

Care to guess why and how?

I suggest you file when you are back, at the end of May. Does it make a difference if you become a US citizen on November 9 or November 23?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Hello All,

Thank you for your responses.

The thing is that, my dad is having health issues, that's why I wanted to spend as much time as I can with him.

I know that, once the application is sent and my fingerprint appointment is scheduled, it would be more risky to leave the country.

I am going to get an opinion of immigration lawyer on this one. I will update here, once I hear back.

This is what my lawyer said, which really doesn't answer my question. I will email her again :)

The requirements for citizenship include but are not limited to, maintaining continuous residence as LPR for a period of 5 years, and physical presence in the US for at least 30 months during this 5 year period of continuity. The statute also requires that you continue to meet the continuous residence requirement, and physical presence requirements between the date of filing and the taking of the oath, and not just at the time of filing.

So, if you were close to not fulfilling the continuous residency requirement, and/or the physical presence requirement at the time of filing, I would recommend you not leave the US between filing and the oath, since you need to meet the same elements at the time you take the oath.

However, as long as you will continue to be able to meet both the continuity of residence requirement, plus the physical presence requirement up until your oath is taken, travel should not be a problem.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I just applied with 90-day mark. Do you care to share why and how ? :innocent:

Would you believe me that filing right at the 90-day mark can cause a delay of several months?

Care to guess why and how?

I suggest you file when you are back, at the end of May. Does it make a difference if you become a US citizen on November 9 or November 23?

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

This is what my lawyer said, which really doesn't answer my question. I will email her again :)

The requirements for citizenship include but are not limited to, maintaining continuous residence as LPR for a period of 5 years, and physical presence in the US for at least 30 months during this 5 year period of continuity. The statute also requires that you continue to meet the continuous residence requirement, and physical presence requirements between the date of filing and the taking of the oath, and not just at the time of filing.

So, if you were close to not fulfilling the continuous residency requirement, and/or the physical presence requirement at the time of filing, I would recommend you not leave the US between filing and the oath, since you need to meet the same elements at the time you take the oath.

However, as long as you will continue to be able to meet both the continuity of residence requirement, plus the physical presence requirement up until your oath is taken, travel should not be a problem.

The laywer advices you not to travel if it comes close to not fulfilling the continuous residency requirement and/or the physical presence requirement at the time of filing. However, if you think you meet those requirements, you can go. This is exactly what we have been telling you for free!

I guess you want someone to tell you you can file. Well guess what nobody is gonna tell you this, especially not a lawyer as they can be held responsible for the advice they give their clients. This is what we call CYA in this country.

I seriously don't get it why you are so desperate to file so soon.

Edited by ManuFred

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Hello all,

My dates are definitely not close. I am not desperate to file close, I wanted to spend as much time as I can with my father and at the sametime do not wish to waste additional time for nothing.

I am including the latest response from my lawyer.

There is no requirement that you are in the US when it is filed, but you will want to be sure you have someone checking your mail for your appointment notices, as you must be in the US to have biometrics taken.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.