Elisinha

Folder? Binder? organizer?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask you all that have been to the interview in Montreal already and for those who are getting ready to go.

I am just wondering if I can get some ideas here about where to place organize your documents and bring to the interview.

I got a couple of binder:

1- with the ongoing relationship

2- With all the documentation an extra copies

I am just afraid that the metal from my binder will stop me at the security when I get in the consulate.

What is more useful, simple and organized so I can place my docs?

I really like my binders, but I have this concern bothering me.

Thanks for the input !

Cam & Ellie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To avoid any possible security issues, we just used a few large brown mailing envelopes. Each envelope was a different category and had its contents written on the outside: one with all the original documents (marriage certificate, birth certificate, translation, medical, etc., with the interview letter and DHL confirmation page on top), one with the I-864 + tax transcripts, and one with the stuff they just might ask for (original I-130 package, DS-230, extra relationship evidence, etc.).

You'll put your evidence through an x-ray machine rather than walking with it through the metal detector, so I don't think the metal rings in the binder would be a problem. It probably just depends on how large they are and whether they have handles. I don't remember seeing anyone with large binders, but there were people with smaller folders.

Edited by alizon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Plastic accordion binder. Think mine had 13 slots. Keep ur interview letter and passport at the front

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

This is what my folder and bag looked like: http://journeythroughimmigration.blogspot.com/2011/05/interview-tomorrow.html

The rings on your binder won't be a problem, as alizon said, since the binder will go through an x-ray machine (like at an airport with your carry-ons). It'll only be you going through the metal detector (so try not to wear any unnecessary jewelry). The thing you have to be concerned about is the SIZE of the binder. I know the consulate will not let anyone in with backpacks or laptop bags, and if your binder is too big (like, I mean oversized), then you can be refused.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This is what my folder and bag looked like: http://journeythroug...w-tomorrow.html

The rings on your binder won't be a problem, as alizon said, since the binder will go through an x-ray machine (like at an airport with your carry-ons). It'll only be you going through the metal detector (so try not to wear any unnecessary jewelry). The thing you have to be concerned about is the SIZE of the binder. I know the consulate will not let anyone in with backpacks or laptop bags, and if your binder is too big (like, I mean oversized), then you can be refused.

Too cute. Love the cover and how just so simple. I swear you need to start a immigration preparation company from start to interview. You are good and creative.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Too cute. Love the cover and how just so simple. I swear you need to start a immigration preparation company from start to interview. You are good and creative.

Hehe, thanks ^_^ I had a lot of fun making the cover (took my focus off my nerves for awhile).

And to do that, I'd probably have to go to law school or something, to get certified, and there is no law school here in town :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Plastic accordion binder. Think mine had 13 slots. Keep ur interview letter and passport at the front

That's what I used, worked great. I recycled it for the AOS process and interview.

Timeline

That's what I used, worked great. I recycled it for the AOS process and interview.

Yep, kept all my Immigration stuff! And then when I Naturalized--Burnt it!! lol (Not the binder, just all the paperwork)

Edited by Flames9_RN

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

[/quote

I gought one of those at Staples for $14.00. Put the confirmation letter and passport and the front, put post its on all other info...I'm good to go for my interview.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

I know people worry about the interview and there is nothing we can truly say to stop you from worrying, but it is probably the easiest part of the whole process, it truly is! Ur not going to get lost in the consulate, most of ur time there is going to be spent waiting for ur # to be called to go up to a few windows to hand in ur documents and wait for ur # to be called for the interview, which is luck to last 10 minutes. In that time they are looking over ur file, ask a few very basic questions and viola, your done,lol And you ask urself why you just spent big $$$$$ for airfare to Mtl for such a short/easy interview,lol

I know people worry about the interview and there is nothing we can truly say to stop you from worrying, but it is probably the easiest part of the whole process, it truly is! Ur not going to get lost in the consulate, most of ur time there is going to be spent waiting for ur # to be called to go up to a few windows to hand in ur documents and wait for ur # to be called for the interview, which is luck to last 10 minutes. In that time they are looking over ur file, ask a few very basic questions and viola, your done,lol And you ask urself why you just spent big $$$ for airfare to Mtl for such a short/easy interview,lol

I remember being nervous like crazy, but saw all Canadians saying not to worry about it. I couldn't quite believe them. laughing.gif But after going through the interview myself, it truly is easy. I spent way more time worrying about the interview than actually being inside the consulate. I was only inside for about an hour. Would have been shorter, but there were problems with my fingerprints so I had to wait to re-do them headbonk.gif Was only asked two questions: where does your husband live and how'd you two meet. Super easy :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I remember being nervous like crazy, but saw all Canadians saying not to worry about it. I couldn't quite believe them. laughing.gif But after going through the interview myself, it truly is easy. I spent way more time worrying about the interview than actually being inside the consulate. I was only inside for about an hour. Would have been shorter, but there were problems with my fingerprints so I had to wait to re-do them headbonk.gif Was only asked two questions: where does your husband live and how'd you two meet. Super easy :D

But you have to understand you two come from some very nice lenient countries. My husband has Lagos, Nigeria to contend with. Thats 1. We have a big age difference. But that was handled with me living there 6 months with him. I visited we dated and courted after talking online for 21 months i went there and 6 weeks later we married and I stayed another 5 months. All in all it looks good but this is Lagos. We can't worry too much yet we just file more stuff to get through before than.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

But you have to understand you two come from some very nice lenient countries. My husband has Lagos, Nigeria to contend with. Thats 1. We have a big age difference. But that was handled with me living there 6 months with him. I visited we dated and courted after talking online for 21 months i went there and 6 weeks later we married and I stayed another 5 months. All in all it looks good but this is Lagos. We can't worry too much yet we just file more stuff to get through before than.

Oh, I know Nigeria is a completely different situation where you do have a good reason to be nervous. But, as this is in the Canadian sub-forum :P

Was only asked two questions: where does your husband live and how'd you two meet. Super easy :D

I was actually surprised by the number of questions the interviewer asked us (from everyone else's experiences being so quick), but they weren't anything we couldn't answer and we still got our approval so...*shrug!*

I was actually surprised by the number of questions the interviewer asked us (from everyone else's experiences being so quick), but they weren't anything we couldn't answer and we still got our approval so...*shrug!*

It depends on the case. Some people are asked more questions. Like, the VJ member that was at the interview with me, her husband (beneficiary) had a previous arrest or criminal record or something. And they got asked about it, as well as a few more questions. But nothing too hard. Probably defers by the CO as well. The lady I got I read about in reviews who didn't ask a lot of questions, so...

In the end, you got approved, which is what matters ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.