pratikf

Mumbai Consulate question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I have a filed I-130 for my wife, and I have a confusion regarding how post-NOA2 things work with respect to Mumbai consulate.

The USCIS/NVC websites (and a lot of posts in this forum) tell me that we can choose an agent via DS-3032, and then it is the NVC that sends the agent Packet 3, and it must be sent back to NVC.

However on Mumbai consulate's website, it states that they send Packet 3, and that DS-230 should be sent back to Mumbai consulate:

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/faq_appnt.html

Can someone please clarify? The reason I'm asking is because if the forms are supposed to be sent to Mumbai consulate, then it doesn't make any sense to appoint me i.e. the USC as the agent.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

However on Mumbai consulate's website, it states that they send Packet 3, and that DS-230 should be sent back to Mumbai consulate:

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/faq_appnt.html

It is for K-1 visa category. It doesnt apply the same thing for CR-1/IR-1 visa since all necessary doc are submitted to NVC. After that, NVC will forward all of your doc to Mumbai Consulate.

XrVRp5.png

Timeline

Thanks for the response. I have another question:

At some point we have to submit original documents - original birth certificate, original marriage certificate, etc. Where do these have to be submitted? To NVC along with DS-230? or later to Mumbai Consulate / VFS once interview is scheduled? We have only one set of originals, so want to be sure about where to submit them, and if we need to obtain 'certified copies'. Thanks again!

Timeline

My case was at California Service Center too and awaiting interview date for my case. I highly recommend this site for NVC shortcuts

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

I sent my originals to NVC because they forward them to Mumbai Consulate and definitely make certified copies of major documents. For me the certified copies of birth certificate, marriage certificate, biographic page of passport were useful. hope this helps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.