MyJourney1

Attorney Representation - What Good Is Having One?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

For K1 VISA -- My fiance and I retained an Attorney (in USA). Yes, he has done a wonderful job with making sure we submit all the proper paperwork and our proofs (photos, airlines, passports photos, phone records, etc.) But now we have not heard from him. Is there anything more he can do for us? Would he be able to prepare us for our Interview? What do we need him for now that we are filed?

Edited by MyJourney1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

For K1 VISA -- My fiance and I retained an Attorney (in USA). Yes, he has done a wonderful job with making sure we submit all the proper paperwork and our proofs (photos, airlines, passports photos, phone records, etc.) But now we have not heard from him. Is there anything more he can do for us? Would he be able to prepare us for our Interview? What do we need him for now that we are filed?

While my questions may sound silly, I feel compelled to ask ... Have you tried to contact him or an assistant? Do you know at what stage in your process you are? Do you have a receipt number (case number for USCIS)?

Without knowing this information, I'm afraid there's very little (if anything) anyone here can suggest. blush.gif

Edited by Celeste & C

Welcome to the pack. I think most of us figure out that attorneys were never needed.

:thumbs:

They are useless they just take your money. They don't have any impact on your case or outcome.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

While my questions may sound silly, I feel compelled to ask ... Have you tried to contact him or an assistant? Do you know at what stage in your process you are? Do you have a receipt number (case number for USCIS)?

Without knowing this information, I'm afraid there's very little (if anything) anyone here can suggest. blush.gif

Timeline

We hired him in the beginning of our K-1 VISA Journey. Yes we are filed with (USCIS) and have a case number. Our receipt is dated 12/21/2011. So, what now? What can our Attorney do for us? We submitted all of the basic stuff at this point.

OK I just looked at your timeline (should have done it before headbonk.gif) .... Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between April 26, 2012 and May 19, 2012*.

So, with this estimated time of approval for NOA 2, then no. I'm afraid that, with or without a lawyer, you can only wait now. After you receive the NOA2, he can start preparing you for the interview.

If you'd like, and to become more acquainted with the process, you can go to the K1 Guide and read it. But, perhaps, the best you can do now, is start preparing for the interview by reading about other experiences from the Nigeria Consulate... this may actually be a great idea because, it's my understanding that, this consulate is quite difficult and you'll want to do your homework.

Edited by Celeste & C

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

my first time around i used an attorney waste of money and held up our case because he did not deal with what we felt were issues and the main reason we had hired him.....he could not help us for the interview or make our noa 2 come faster in fact took us two years to get the noa 2

this time around i will NOT be using an attorney unless there are issues that only an attorney can address they are useless and a waste of money

just my opinion

sara

OK I just looked at your timeline (should have done it before headbonk.gif) .... Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between April 26, 2012 and May 19, 2012*.

So, with this estimated time of approval for NOA 2, then no. I'm afraid that, with or without a lawyer, you can only wait now. After you receive the NOA2, he can start preparing you for the interview.

If you'd like, and to become more acquainted with the process, you can go to the K1 Guide and read it. But, perhaps, the best you can do now, is start preparing for the interview by reading about other experiences from the Nigeria Consulate... this may actually be a great idea because, it's my understanding that, this consulate is quite difficult and you'll want to do your homework.

Thank you so much! :)

my first time around i used an attorney waste of money and held up our case because he did not deal with what we felt were issues and the main reason we had hired him.....he could not help us for the interview or make our noa 2 come faster in fact took us two years to get the noa 2

this time around i will NOT be using an attorney unless there are issues that only an attorney can address they are useless and a waste of money

just my opinion

sara

Okay; Thanks :)

Hiring a lawyer for our K1 was a $1500 mistake! We never had an RFE at that stage but paying a useless lawyer just to submit our packet was a bad bad decision. It took her forever to answer our emails and return our calls. I was glad that USCIS sends a complimentary copy of the NOA2 to petitioners. I took charge of our case after receiving our approval. You would think she will let us know that we were approved! I cant believe we paid somebody just to compile our paperwork. I've done my AOS, ROC and now my Naturalization by myself and of course with help from fellow VJers. As long as you dont have a complicated case you can DYI....

Edited by pepper

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

4/25/12- interview- passed & took my oath the same day!!-- US Citizen!!!

My N400 Journey took 3months & 8days!:)

Timeline

If a case has red flags, a GOOD family-based-immigration attorney can be very well worth the investment. To flatly say "You do not need an attorney" is something that NOBODY here can state with any assurance, without knowing every intricacy of another couple's situation.

good.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

If a case has red flags, a GOOD family-based-immigration attorney can be very well worth the investment. To flatly say "You do not need an attorney" is something that NOBODY here can state with any assurance, without knowing every intricacy of another couple's situation.

:thumbs: :thumbs: i totally agree with you on this but the fact that the OP is basically asking "what next" tells me that even if an attorney is needed in this case then this probably isnt the best attorney to have

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.