SHOTS

Self-employed

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Vjers,

How are you all? What are the requirements in the Affidavit of support if the petitioner is self employed. Thank you!

July 05 2011- form I-129f sent by mail

July 12 2001- NOA1

July 14 2011- Touched

November 29, 2011 - NOA2

January 13, 2011 - Eligibility Letter Received

April 16 2012-Medical appointment-PASSED!

April 27 2012- Interview-PASSED!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Vjers,

How are you all? What are the requirements in the Affidavit of support if the petitioner is self employed. Thank you!

Listed here in the instructions:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

Follow the form instructions. As far as supporting evidence, supply the last three years of tax transcripts. It's not in the instructions for the form, and it's not in the instructions here: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/public/Revised%20K1%20Instruction%20Packet%20_3__rtf2_003.pdf

However, if you don't want to go though the hassle of supplying additional evidence of your income after your fiancee's interview, supply them ahead of time, with the affidavit of support.

Timeline

Follow the form instructions. As far as supporting evidence, supply the last three years of tax transcripts. It's not in the instructions for the form, and it's not in the instructions here: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_003.pdf

However, if you don't want to go though the hassle of supplying additional evidence of your income after your fiancee's interview, supply them ahead of time, with the affidavit of support.

Embassy only asks for the most current tax return, three years worth is not necessary ... never DO DO when DO will DO. Heck they never even asked to see my tax return at all, current or otherwise. Of all the reviews I have read for the embassy in Manila the only tax return they have looked at is the current one, others have brought three years worth but the CO does not ask to see them. This copies of 3 years of tax returns may be asked for at other embassies, I don't know, but Manila does not request it.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Embassy only asks for the most current tax return, three years worth is not necessary ... never DO DO when DO will DO. Heck they never even asked to see my tax return at all, current or otherwise. Of all the reviews I have read for the embassy in Manila the only tax return they have looked at is the current one, others have brought three years worth but the CO does not ask to see them. This copies of 3 years of tax returns may be asked for at other embassies, I don't know, but Manila does not request it.

Are you self employed? I am, and three years of returns (transcripts) were required throughout the process, specifically asked for, for each interview (except for ROC, no interview) from the Visa interview in Manila, to AOS, to ROC, and finally for Naturalization.

Edited by ☼

Timeline

Are you self employed? I am, and three years of returns (transcripts) were required throughout the process, specifically asked for, for each interview (except for ROC, no interview) from the Visa interview in Manila, to AOS, to ROC, and finally for Naturalization.

Yup I was self-employed for over 30 years, now I am retired. The embassy letter only requests current tax return, the I-134 only requests current tax return BUT only if you are self-employed. So the embassy back in 2006 required you to produce three years of tax returns? Yet there is nothing in writing anywhere that stipulates this from the embassy, so if a person were to follow the letter from the embassy exactly they would not be approved and would get a 221? Hmm? Is there a link to embassy information regarding this that I am not aware of?

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Hello Hank_Amy,

Wow congrats to you!! By the way are these what they asked?

AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT

❋ Income Tax Return – 1040 Copies (2010)

❋1099

❋ Original I-134 Form

❋ Bank Statement

❋ Self-Employed Letter with signature from my fiance?

Please let me know if there is anything I missed from these.

Thank you!!!

Yup I was self-employed for over 30 years, now I am retired. The embassy letter only requests current tax return, the I-134 only requests current tax return BUT only if you are self-employed. So the embassy back in 2006 required you to produce three years of tax returns? Yet there is nothing in writing anywhere that stipulates this from the embassy, so if a person were to follow the letter from the embassy exactly they would not be approved and would get a 221? Hmm? Is there a link to embassy information regarding this that I am not aware of?

July 12 2001- NOA1

July 14 2011- Touched

November 29, 2011 - NOA2

Timeline

Hello Hank_Amy,

Wow congrats to you!! By the way are these what they asked?

AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT

❋ Income Tax Return – 1040 Copies (2010)

❋1099

❋ Original I-134 Form

❋ Bank Statement

❋ Self-Employed Letter with signature from my fiance?

Please let me know if there is anything I missed from these.

Thank you!!!

Here are links to the I-134 instructions and the embassy letter. If your interview is before the April filing deadline then 2010 tax returns are the newest they can expect.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/306605/atienzalb/Revised%20K1%20Instruction%20Packet%20_3_.pdf

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thank you!

Here are links to the I-134 instructions and the embassy letter. If your interview is before the April filing deadline then 2010 tax returns are the newest they can expect.

http://www.uscis.gov.../i-134instr.pdf

http://photos.state....acket%20_3_.pdf

July 12 2001- NOA1

July 14 2011- Touched

November 29, 2011 - NOA2

Timeline

Thank you!

July 12 2001- NOA1

July 14 2011- Touched

November 29, 2011 - NOA2

Timeline

Thank you!

July 12 2001- NOA1

July 14 2011- Touched

November 29, 2011 - NOA2

If your interview is before the April filing deadline then 2010 tax returns are the newest they can expect.

Not true. You need to show proof of current income if so requested, and minimally, current tax return (transcript), or show why you are not required to file a return. The interviewing officer has a great deal of discretion on deciding whether or not a non-immigrant will end up becoming a public charge, and as of Feb 1, many IO's have been requesting 2011 tax returns.

9 FAM 41.81 PN2 EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT

(CT:VISA-1823; 03-15-2012)

A K visa applicant and any accompanying children must meet the public

charge requirement of INA 212(a)(4) (8 U.S.C. 1182) like any other visa

applicant. Evidence of support is usually requested by the consular officer.

There is, however, no absolute requirement that an affidavit of support or

other public charge documentation be presented. It is only necessary that

the consular officer be able to conclude that the alien is not likely to become

a public charge. It would not be unusual, therefore, for a healthy alien of

working age, applying alone, to be able to establish eligibility during the visa

interview without the need for substantiating documentation.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87393.pdf

However, in the case of the Embassy in Manila, that is not going to happen.

Edited by ☼

Not true. You need to show proof of current income if so requested, and minimally, current tax return (transcript), or show why you are not required to file a return. The interviewing officer has a great deal of discretion on deciding whether or not a non-immigrant will end up becoming a public charge, and as of Feb 1, many IO's have been requesting 2011 tax returns.

However, in the case of the Embassy in Manila, that is not going to happen.

My now wife wasn't asked for any of the documentation I sent her at the interview. She had piles of information wanting to make sure nothing was missing, but the CO didn't ask for a single item. My application was extremely complete also though and we've know each other for years which I had included evidence of in the petition. Well at least after the RFE where I really piled on a lot of extra information. The CFO was another matter. They wanted to see 3 years worth of transcripts and were sending some girls home saying they needed to have those before they would allow them to get a stamp. Seems the CFO had a higher standard of peering up my butt than the embassy did. Last August it appeared if you're iffy on evidence with the embassy, the CFO is going to really be hard to get through.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.