GAFL

An American & A Ghanian

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I decided to join this in search of information and guidance. I believe in learning from others experiences so I'm excited to read the feedback.

Well, August 2011 I visited Accra, Ghana with my bestfriend to visit her family. During my visit there I volunteered at a school. There I met a young man. The young man and I truly have strong feelings for each other. I invited the young man to visit in December 2011, however the tourist visa was declined for reason he did not show enough country ties (in which I had to call the embassy to get clear clarification). Long story short, I want to see him again because the communication(calls, internet, mail, etc.) has grown very expensive therefore I have decided to go back and visit him. I feel as though we could a few years from now become husband and wife. I am headed there in less than a month (mid April) to visit him. Basically, I wanted to know what type of documentation should I obtain from him before I return back to the United States? In addition, is the K-1 visa the best option for our situation? Should we visit the American Embassy in Accra, Ghana to get all of his documentation that I recieve from there copied and notarized as valid? I just want to make the right decisions early so if/when 2-3 years from now pass our process is more smooth and fluid.

I look forward to your feedback. Any and Everything is totally welcomed.

Have a blessed week. Happy Tuesday!

-Met in Ghana August 2011

-Went back to Ghana April 2012

-Went back to Ghana December 2012

-Married to the man God created just for me on January 4th, 2013.

-Filed the CR-1 in February 2013

-Petition Transfered from National Benefits Center to Texas Service Center October 2013

-Petition APPROVED January 2014 (*Took 10 Months 19 Calendar Days)

-Case Number/Invoice Identification Number Assigned February 2014 (*Took 33 Calendar Days)

-Approved Interview May 2014

-Arrival May 2014

Now, We are Prayerfully taking everything 1 day at a time. Thanking God for his blessings and grace.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Probably jumping the gun at the moment. Any paperwork would need to be more time related to when you may wish to file.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Welcome to the forum, to you question, I think initially you did not travel to Ghana to meet him,but it just happened that when you are in Ghana you got to know him, anyway K-1 one basically requires meeting within 2 years period prior to the filing so I think you guys qualified, I don't think visiting the embassy is good idea since you can't file directly at the embassy , so I will suggest that you take your time , read a lot here and get the appropriate document so that when you get to Ghana , you can let him fill his part and sign. And then when you come back you can work your part and sign , plus copies of all the evidence and mail the package. You can get document expect to help you fill the papers instead of hiring a lawyer, but the most important things that you will need from him are his letter of intent, copy of his birth certificate, bio data form and his signature, if he can send you those things then you can start the process before going to visit him for the second time, I hope you guys have enough pictures, plus you still have all your boarding passes and anything evidence that will proof that you guys met.

Met through a friend on Facebook

Visited Accra on June 26, 2011 ( For two weeks)

Sept 14, 2011 Mailed the petition express

Sept 16, 2011.................................... NOA 1

Feb 01,2012...................................... NOA 2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from K1 to Africa regional forum as question is country specific *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I think for now, just make sure you save all your phone records, emails, boarding passes, receipts from being in his country, and take lots of photos when you're together! This will help in the future when he gets to the Interview Stage.

Other than that, if you're planning on waiting 2-3 years, Im pretty sure that all 'documents' sent with the initial package should be completed closer to your sending out the petition...This whole process usually takes just under a year, and you must get married within 90 days of your fiance entering the country, so I'm thinking youre planning on waiting at least a year to file the petition? I suggest waiting until 2-3 months before you plan on sending the packet to start putting it together!

Good Luck!

:)

*Our K-1 Journey*

*11/7/11 - Sent I-129F Packet

*11/10/11 - Packet delivered to Dallas Lockbox

*11/16/11 - NOA1 Text/Email & Check Cashed

*11/19/11 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received (Notice Date 11/14/11)

*03/28/12 - NOA2 Text/Email (Notice Date 03/27/12)

*04/02/12 - NVC Recieved Package

*04/04/12 - NVC Sent Package to Embassy

*04/17/12 - Embassy emailed Packet 4 to me

*04/21/12 - USPS Interview Binder to Carlos

*04/26/12 - Carlos Medical Exam

*04/27/12 - Carlos receive Interview Binder from me

*05/04/12 - Carlos Interview 8:00 AM (Has to return with two more documents)

*05/14/12 - Carlos return to embassy with missing documents - VISA APPROVED

*05/18/12 - Carlos picks up VISA at Embassy

*05/19/12 - POE MIAMI

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I agree with Carlos&Alyssa, keep boarding passes, receipts for hotels, pictures etc. Even if you do not file now they will go a long way in proving your relationship when it comes to the interview stage.

Read up not only on the K1 but also the CR1 so that you can make the choice that is best for you.

Good luck!!!

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The most important thing right now is to make sure your relationship is solid. Take your time. The post/calls/internet is not so expensive. Be careful about sending money. Is he employed? Don't worry about the immigration process too much during your next trip. Go meet his family. Make sure what he tells you during chat sessions and on the phone is consistent with what you see while you are there. Both Florence and I were very careful about each other at first. It turned out very well and she is here with me in the USA. I learned that it is good to go slow and listen very carefully.

During this trip, take lots of pictures and keep your boarding passes. USCIS and the State Department like to see pictures of you both along with other family members. Take some pictures with a public landmark in the frame. Ask permission before taking pictures of Independence Arch - I almost got arrested!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Good Evening Everyone,

I wanted to give you all an update on my situation from my last posting on March 21st, 2012.

I went to see my man :) a week ago. It was such a great trip such as what we would do here in the states. I was able to spend alot of quality time with his mother whom I adore, his father, sister, brother, uncles, and the rest of the family. His parents sat us down and spoke to us and asked what were our intentions for each other and believe it or not we both answered boldy and securely. His parents and my mother all gave us their blessings. We were able to do something that I hold dear which is spending time in God's presence around God's people at his church.

I know one person asked does he work; yes, he is a teacher during the day and attending one of the local universities in the evening from m-s.

I have decided I will proceed with the K-1 fiance visa. Now, could someone itemized for me exactly what should I put in the I-129F packet vs the other packets??

I ask because the VJ'ers on here have provided such wonderful advice, information, and guidance to others. I want to do this properly and in order.

So Far I have:

1. My birth certificate/his birth certificate

2. My passport copy/his passport copy

3. I-129F form

4. $340.00 money order for the process

3. 2 passport pics of him/2 passport pics of me (WHERE DO U GET THE ALIEN # to put on the pic from????)

4. Phone records for me/Phone records for him

5. Yahoo messages

6. Pictures

7. Letter of Intent from both of us (signed)

8. Letters of Parental support from my mom & his dad (signed)

9. G-325A for me & him (signed)

10. Copies of my boarding pass and expenses in GH

11. Copies of how we met from me and him

Does anything need to be notarized?

Also, I've seen I-134, tax returns, etc.... When is all of this paperwork necessary??

For those who've experienced the interview process if your fiancee has been denied a visa(tourist) before would you recommend me preparing to go to the interview with him??

Should I mail it to: UCIS lockbox in Dallas,TX or the office in Lewisville,TX???

I'm praying God's blessings over this process as well as the joy of hearing your advice, information, experiences, and insight.

Thank you!

-Petition Transfered from National Benefits Center to Texas Service Center October 2013

-Case Number/Invoice Identification Number Assigned February 2014 (*Took 33 Calendar Days)

-Arrival May 2014

Now, We are Prayerfully taking everything 1 day at a time. Thanking God for his blessings and grace.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I suggest you check the guides to see what you need to include in the packet. For sure you need to include proof of having met but I would suggest looking at the guides because it really spells it out for you.

My suggestion would be to NOT front load the petition. From what I have seen from those going through Ghana they almost always ask for more evidence at the interview and many people do not anticipate this and have to go for a second interview. Include the bare minimum in the petition and keep a majority for the interview.

Good luck.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

GAFL,

This is what I included in my petition packet:

* Payment in the amount of $340.00. (made payable to U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security).

* I-129F

* I-129F Supplement: Part B, Question 18, explanation of how Kevin and I met in person.

* G-325A and passport style photo (Petitioner: myself)

* G-325A and passport style photo (Beneficiary: my fiance')

* Birth certificate (Petitioner only)--> I did not send my fiance's birth certificate.

* Both Letters certifying intent to marry (Petitioner and Beneficiary, both signed from myself and him )

* Proof of having met in person in the past two years: copies of my airline ticket, boarding pass and itinerary. Also a couple of photos of myself and my fiance' together in Ghana, and one of me and him with his family.

* Proof of ongoing relationship (copies of past and current email correspondence, phone bills, stamped mail, recent letter and engagement ring receipt.)

Now of the proof of ongoing relationship I only sent a few copies that were dated throughout the relationship. I did not send ALL of my proof as that will be used for my fiance's interview that is coming up in August. (please wish us luck :innocent: )

and when I sent all of the above.. I received the NOA-1 with NO RFE!! :thumbs:

Hope my info helps. Good Luck!!

Edited by Sapphire~*~Moon

“The moon is at her full, and riding high, floods the calm fields with light. The airs that hover in the summer sky are all asleep tonight.” ~William C. Bryant

Click HERE for our complete K-1 visa journey timeline.

Happily Married: December 1, 2012

AOS Journey:
Filing Date: 4/15/2013

NOA1: 4/23/2013

Received RFE: 5/13/2013 (We forgot to include proof of citizenship of co-sponsor)

Mailed our response to the RFE: 5/15/2013 (We sent the co-sponsor's U.S. birth certificate)

Biometrics Appointment: 5/20/13

EAD: arrived 6/24/13

AOS: APPROVED! No interview! Approval (NOA-1 letter)Date: 9/24/2013

2 year conditional green card received 09/2013.

10 year permanent residency approved 2016.

<3 Baby girl born February 2015 <3

Timeline

I will definitely keep you all in my prayers. Congratulations on the steps accomplished so far. Please keep me updated. Thank you for responding. I will probably submit around the same time you and your fiancee submitted due to my fiancee's school completion. Are you going to your fiancee interview??

GAFL,

This is what I included in my petition packet:

* Payment in the amount of $340.00. (made payable to U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security).

* I-129F

* I-129F Supplement: Part B, Question 18, explanation of how Kevin and I met in person.

* G-325A and passport style photo (Petitioner: myself)

* G-325A and passport style photo (Beneficiary: my fiance')

* Birth certificate (Petitioner only)--> I did not send my fiance's birth certificate.

* Both Letters certifying intent to marry (Petitioner and Beneficiary, both signed from myself and him )

* Proof of having met in person in the past two years: copies of my airline ticket, boarding pass and itinerary. Also a couple of photos of myself and my fiance' together in Ghana, and one of me and him with his family.

* Proof of ongoing relationship (copies of past and current email correspondence, phone bills, stamped mail, recent letter and engagement ring receipt.)

Now of the proof of ongoing relationship I only sent a few copies that were dated throughout the relationship. I did not send ALL of my proof as that will be used for my fiance's interview that is coming up in August. (please wish us luck :innocent: )

and when I sent all of the above.. I received the NOA-1 with NO RFE!! :thumbs:

Hope my info helps. Good Luck!!

-Arrival May 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.