Kizana

Citizenship and dismissed DV charges ?

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am applying for my citizenship this year and have some concerns regarding weather it will be approved or denied.

Exactly one year ago I was charged with 4th degree DV and the charges were dismissed (here is my story http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/304180-green-card-holder-arresred-for-domestic-violence-deportation/ )

Now I hired immigration attorney and hope for positive outcome but I understand that my lawyer cannot guarantee I will be approved for citizenship.

I will be sending my husband's affidavit along with N400 where he is stating about his past drinking problem which caused all that situation to become worse and that I helped him to resolve it. He also stating in there that all that situation was just simple mistake and nobody actually hurt anyone and that he will be in the waiting area at the time of the interview if needed.

Anyway, I hope to hear some real stories who applied for citizenship with similar charges and what the outcome was.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Kizana

2005-May-30 Started to write each other

2006-Feb-08 Met in person first time

2008-Aug-09 Entered U.S. on K-1 Visa

2008-Sept-05 Got married! :)

2009-Mar-26 Conditional Green Card

2011-Mar-23 Permanent Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello,

I am applying for my citizenship this year and have some concerns regarding weather it will be approved or denied.

Exactly one year ago I was charged with 4th degree DV and the charges were dismissed (here is my story http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/304180-green-card-holder-arresred-for-domestic-violence-deportation/ )

Now I hired immigration attorney and hope for positive outcome but I understand that my lawyer cannot guarantee I will be approved for citizenship.

I will be sending my husband's affidavit along with N400 where he is stating about his past drinking problem which caused all that situation to become worse and that I helped him to resolve it. He also stating in there that all that situation was just simple mistake and nobody actually hurt anyone and that he will be in the waiting area at the time of the interview if needed.

Anyway, I hope to hear some real stories who applied for citizenship with similar charges and what the outcome was.

Thank you in advance!

Answer truthfully, attach court documents showing it was dismissed and sleep well. You have not been convicted of anything.

I did not apply with similar charges but since you have not been convicted of a crime I do not see where it could be an issue. You just want them to have everything in case it turns up on some background check. Best not to surprise those people. The attorney was unnecessary and cannot change the outcome even if you were convicted.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Answer truthfully, attach court documents showing it was dismissed and sleep well. You have not been convicted of anything.

I did not apply with similar charges but since you have not been convicted of a crime I do not see where it could be an issue. You just want them to have everything in case it turns up on some background check. Best not to surprise those people. The attorney was unnecessary and cannot change the outcome even if you were convicted.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I did mention arrest in N400, type of charges and dismissal, and will file it along with court docket and my husband's affidavit.

I agree that I could have easily done this without any lawyer (which I was going to do in the first place when there was no charges(( but I'm too nervous to do it by myself now. Well, if I will get approval, it was worth the money, I guess

Edited by Kizana

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I did mention arrest in N400, type of charges and dismissal, and will file it along with court docket and my husband's affidavit.

I agree that I could have easily done this without any lawyer (which I was going to do in the first place when there was no charges(( but I'm too nervous to do it by myself now. Well, if I will get approval, it was worth the money, I guess

Sleep well.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I am not sure if your husbands affidavit is necessary. Simply you can say there was a misunderstanding and things got resolved. I am not sure if Atty is necessary but you can get one if it makes you feel better. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

And also remember if worse comes to worse, you can always postpone the Citizenship until you've been here 5 years and then you can apply without the marriage. I don't see it being an issue, but you never know. So if it gets too crazy or expensive (lawyer etc), just know you can always just apply on the 5 year rule regardless when that time is up...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Timeline

Exactly one year ago I was charged . . . . and the charges were dismissed

There's your answer. You have a clean sheet. It will not affect your ability to become an American.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

dont hire no lawyer Just give it a try or just wait to see what happens in my case ...I'm waiting on a decision i had a few arrest and convictions now just painterly waiting on the outcome

Hello,

Exactly one year ago I was charged with 4th degree DV and the charges were dismissed (here is my story http://www.visajourn...ce-deportation/ )

Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I received a letter confirmation that my N400 application was received and being processed, and I will be notified of the next step after Record Check etc.

Fingers crossed...

Edited by Kizana

• 1 month later...

The interview is scheduled on June 26.

I'm so nervous(((

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The interview is scheduled on June 26.

I'm so nervous(((

It's easy for me to say I know but worrying isn't going to help anything. :) Try and concentrate on remembering the answers to the test questions and worry about those. You will be fine, good luck!!

• 4 weeks later...

I am a proud citizen of the U.S.! :)

Thanks everyone for support and good word!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Kizana - Поздравляю! :)

Must be a huge relief now. Time to apply for your passport...

09/1991 - Came to the US on F1

06/2002 - Became a Permanent Resident

Naturalization Journey

10/12/11: Sent N-400 to Dallas lockbox via USPS certified mail

10/18/11: Delivery confirmed

10/21/11: Check cashed

10/25/11: Got NOA by mail. Priority date 10/18

10/28/11: FP notice received by mail

11/18/11: FP done per schedule

01/03/12: Yellow letter received (dated 12/12/11)

01/06/12: Status changed to Testing and Interview (inline for scheduling)

01/18/12: Status changed to Interview Scheduled

01/21/12: IL Received

02/23/12: Interview: approved. Oath: completed

Phew, what a journey! I am a US Citizen.

02/27/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card

03/26/12: Received passport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.