CarolinaGirl

IR1 interview in Vancouver??

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I just joined hoping to get some information on my situation.

I am a US citizen and applying for a visa for my canadian husband. We have been married for 4 years and living in canada(I am a canadian PR). We have recently mailed the checklist and supporting documents to the NVC and I think our next step is being transferred to the consulate. We have a MTL case number and I had always assumed that since we live on Vancouver Island that we would have our interview at the Vancouver consulate, but I read something that makes me think that our interview will have to be in Montreal, is that right?? We really have to fly across the country when we live that close to an embassy here? And if so do I(and our 8 month old daughter) have to go to the interview as well or would he go by himself?

Any tips or information regarding this would be appreciated! Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

IR1 interviews are only held in Montreal. Your husband will have to fly out there. The US citizen is not required to attend. Also since you are living in Vancouver be aware that Montreal is notoriously difficult when it comes to evidence of domicile which your husband will have to prove at the interview. There's a big thread about it pinned at the top of the forum.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also - your daughter doesn't need to attend as you are her mother and she is already a US citizen by birth. Have you gotten her US passport?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

or at least a CRBA for your daughter? They can be obtained through the Consulate in Vancouver.

And yes, it totally sucks that the Westerners have to go to Montreal. I wish something could be done about it because the medical is much quicker through Vancouver.

Edited by hikergirl

Timeline

1 can still do their medical in Vancouver

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Alright, well too bad about having to go to Montreal, there goes another $600 or more.

For my daughter, we haven't applied for her US passport or CRBA yet, we were planning on doing it while we were in Vancouver for my husbands appointment, but we'll be in Calgary next month so I've made an appointment at the consulate there. Lucky girl being born with dual citizenship!

As far as domicile, I honestly thought that had been addressed already on another form, but maybe it was just mentioned and no supporting documents were required. But I did mail to NVC copies of my US cell phone bill, US checking account statement and US credit card statements, as part of that. Is it just me(the US citizen) who needs to prove domicile or do we need to somehow prove it for my husband as well? Should the things listed above(bank account, credit card and cell phones) be enough to prove domicile? I do maintain a permanent address(my parents) and I have been maintaining my US license for my job.

Sorry to ask so many questions. I looked at the pinned item about domicile and wasn't sure if when it lists the 5 or so things to prove domicile if there is any clarification on how much of that is required. I have been pouring through the information on here and really wished I had thought to look online and find this board a long time ago when we started this! I have kind of felt in the dark about the whole process and each step seems like a surprise so it's good to see what the progression will look like from this point.

Timeline

Alright, well too bad about having to go to Montreal, there goes another $600 or more.

For my daughter, we haven't applied for her US passport or CRBA yet, we were planning on doing it while we were in Vancouver for my husbands appointment, but we'll be in Calgary next month so I've made an appointment at the consulate there. Lucky girl being born with dual citizenship!

As far as domicile, I honestly thought that had been addressed already on another form, but maybe it was just mentioned and no supporting documents were required. But I did mail to NVC copies of my US cell phone bill, US checking account statement and US credit card statements, as part of that. Is it just me(the US citizen) who needs to prove domicile or do we need to somehow prove it for my husband as well? Should the things listed above(bank account, credit card and cell phones) be enough to prove domicile? I do maintain a permanent address(my parents) and I have been maintaining my US license for my job.

Sorry to ask so many questions. I looked at the pinned item about domicile and wasn't sure if when it lists the 5 or so things to prove domicile if there is any clarification on how much of that is required. I have been pouring through the information on here and really wished I had thought to look online and find this board a long time ago when we started this! I have kind of felt in the dark about the whole process and each step seems like a surprise so it's good to see what the progression will look like from this point.

Montreal seems to be in their own special world in what they want for proof for the domicile issue!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Well, evidence of domicile is about the US citizen, not the Canadian, since your husband has 6 months to enter the US on his visa (I think?). What I meant is that at the interview he will have to prove that you maintain a domicile in the US. I have little experience with evidence of domicile as it was not an issue for me but judging by what others have posted in that thread it seems like mere cell phone bills and bank statements are not enough. Think stuff like leases, a letter from an American employer, etc. In some cases Montreal won't issue the visa until the USC has moved back to the US already and actively lives there. The reason Montreal is so hard about it is because there's a lot of Canadians and Americans who like to mosey on over to whichever country they prefer at the moment and try to maintain permanent residencies in both countries which is a big no-no.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Hmmm I don't work, and didn't plan on getting a job in the US even when we do move back there. I plan to stay home with our baby, and we were planning on living with my parents in the US when we first move until we get settled and find a house to buy. I guess we just have to wait and see what Montreal will say.

I was under the impression that I was eligible to keep my Canadian PR status even living outside of Canada as long as I was living with a Canadian citizen. If that's not true I should consider applying for Canadian citizenship since we would like to have the option to return to Canada later in life.

If Montreal doesn't approve my version of domicile(cell phone, credit cards and bank account) will my husband have to fly back for a second interview once we get the proper documentation?

When we get this visa I have always assumed that it would be the document that would allow him to not only enter the US, but also to work right away is that correct, or will there be something else required in order for him to be eligible to work?

Timeline

Hmmm I don't work, and didn't plan on getting a job in the US even when we do move back there. I plan to stay home with our baby, and we were planning on living with my parents in the US when we first move until we get settled and find a house to buy. I guess we just have to wait and see what Montreal will say.

I was under the impression that I was eligible to keep my Canadian PR status even living outside of Canada as long as I was living with a Canadian citizen. If that's not true I should consider applying for Canadian citizenship since we would like to have the option to return to Canada later in life.

If Montreal doesn't approve my version of domicile(cell phone, credit cards and bank account) will my husband have to fly back for a second interview once we get the proper documentation?

When we get this visa I have always assumed that it would be the document that would allow him to not only enter the US, but also to work right away is that correct, or will there be something else required in order for him to be eligible to work?

With the IR-1--(or cr-1) 1 can work right away!!

I believe you can keep ur Cdn PR as long as ur with a Cdn.

If Mtl is not happy with ur domicile---they wont issue the visa UNTIL, you provide proof of what they want! And keep in mind, you may send the required info back ASAP, but that does not mean they are going to issue the Visa ASAP,sometimes it takes awhile! Mtl is famous for being slow,lol

Timeline

If Montreal requires further documentation, your husband will not need to do a second interview- instead you will send it to Montreal where they will review it. As Flames noted, if this is the case they can take a very long time to actually issue the visa.

I would carefully read over the domicile thread and try and gather as much evidence a possible, including some letters/affidavits from your parents (though affidavits are considered secondary evidence), and anything else you can think of to prove that you intend to move to the States. You could even make up some kind of lease or contract between you and your parents (even if they're not charging you).

Edited by pocheros

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

Keeping your permanent resident status

Your permanent resident status allows you to live in Canada, but there is also a time limit on how long you can live outside the country. To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period.

Timeline

hikergirl I have read the residence requirements but it says that you can count time spent outside of canada towards residency requirements if you can prove that you were with your spouse or child who is a canadian citizen. Do you know that to be untrue?

That was just a direct quote from Citizenship and Immigration Canada on how to maintain residency. I looked but couldn't find anything on a PR being allowed to live outside of Canada just because they were married to a Canadian Citizen or the parent of one. Just the above quote in a couple of different places.

Timeline

This is a quote from the cic.gc.ca website regarding residency requirements for permanent residents:

Time spent outside of Canada

You may also count the days spent outside of Canada in the following circumstances as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation:

OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your

spouse or common-law partner or

parent, if you are less than 22 years of age

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.