GeraldT

help! whats faster? Fiance or spouse visa? :)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

hello everyone ! Thank you for reading this! I hope someone can help me out.. My question is simple: My fiance is in mexico, and i want to bring her asap... I was set on tryin to bring her in as my fiance and marrying here... But then someone mentioned that it may be worth it to look into the possibility of me going to mexico, marrying her there and then try to get her papers as my spouse... Does anyone know which one is faster and/or easier?? Any insight on this would be greately appreciated!

thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Id say fiance visa is less stressful to complete but the waiting process are thesame...

Febuary 13 - Sent I-129f

Febuary 17 - NOA1

March 15 - RFE

March 16 - Replied RFE

March 21 - NOA2

March 26 - NVC received

March 26 - Got MNL case #

March 26 - Received NOA2 hard copy

March 26 - Paid BPI $350

April 17 - Medical( St. Lukes)

April 24 - Interview (Administrative Review 221g

May 15 - received text from to go that visa is ready for pick up!! (OMG! finally!!)

THANK YOU LORD FOR ALL THE BLESSINGS...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

The fiance visa (k-1) will allow her to join you in the States faster (my guess is it she might be there 2 months faster barring any issues with the approval process), but will cost you roughly double the cost of spouse visa (k-3), about $2,300 vs. $1,100. The overall process is pretty similar, the differences being that on a K-3 she will have her greencard upon entering the States with the approved Visa. With a fiance visa, the visa is approved and then when she enters the States, you must get married within 90 days and file for an adjustment of status for her to receive her greencard.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You also have to consider with a spousal visa you have to orgainise to get married first, add that cost and time to your estimates.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree fiancee visa is quicker with less hassle but more costly.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

hello everyone ! Thank you for reading this! I hope someone can help me out.. My question is simple: My fiance is in mexico, and i want to bring her asap... I was set on tryin to bring her in as my fiance and marrying here... But then someone mentioned that it may be worth it to look into the possibility of me going to mexico, marrying her there and then try to get her papers as my spouse... Does anyone know which one is faster and/or easier?? Any insight on this would be greately appreciated!

thank you!

Welcome to the forum.

Refer to the informative VJ Guides Visa Comparison. A review of other members timelines would reveal a lot of variables that can affect the time frames of the respective visas.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We did k1, but would have gotten married first now.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

thank you!

It would most likely be slightly faster to go for the K-1 visa. You would need to go to Mexico with all the documents you need to marry there, deal with submitting paperwork to get permission, translations, the medical tests you need done there, and then the few days wait for getting the license and proceeding onto the ceremony. There are fees for all of that as well. If you are divorced, it must be at least 1 year from the date of your divorce before you can marry in Mexico. Each state has different requirements, so do research on what is required for the state you would be marrying in there.

However, if you were to get married and then file for the spousal visa, your wife would be able to receive her green card upon entering the US and you would not have to worry about filing for adjustment of status which is a large fee of $1070 and takes about 3 months for her to be able to work or travel and around 4-6 months to get a green card.

So, fiance(e) visa is most likely a little faster, but spousal visa is cheaper in the long run.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

There are many variables that are specific to the beneficiary's country (as the poster above has stated), to the consulate in that country, and to the specific petition and visa application themselves. Accordingly, generic, estimated "timelines" can go straight out the window.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

It absolutely depends on your individual situation.

My wife and I went the CR-1 route, for a few reasons:

- We wanted to have our wedding in Mexico (not possible with a K-1)

- My wife already had a border-crossing card / B2 tourist visa

- We didn't want to deal with the extra expense / travel restrictions of adjusting status

If any of those apply to you—especially if your wife has a tourist visa—look into the CR-1. Realistically, it doesn't take much longer than the K-1, and you do not have to have cohabited with your spouse -- i.e. you can get married today and apply for the CR-1 tomorrow.

Another benefit—for now, at least: the CR-1 process is eligible for electronic processing at the NVC and the consulate in Juarez, meaning that there's less physical paperwork moving about. You can scan and email documents to the NVC, so they get them quickly and easily. As far as I know, the K-1 is still paper-based at this time.

It was still a lot of forms and information-gathering — but really, as long as you're organized, I doubt it's any more difficult than the K-1.

In addition, if your fiancee has a tourist visa, you can get married in the US (provided she returns home afterwards, at which point you can file for the CR-1). My wife lived along the border, so we just crossed over, got married, and she returned to Mexico and we applied for the CR-1. So, we got to skip a lot of the paperwork that comes with a US Citizen trying to marry a Mexican citizen in Mexico—plus we got a marriage certificate in English. Another plus for the CR-1.

Look into all your options. If your wife lives along the border and has a visa already, the CR-1 may make more sense.

7 Mar 2011 - Mailed the I-130 package

12 Nov 2011 - Became a U.S. resident (+250 days)

18 Sep 2017 - Sworn in as a U.S. citizen (+2137 days)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There are many variables that are specific to the beneficiary's country (as the poster above has stated), to the consulate in that country, and to the specific petition and visa application themselves. Accordingly, generic, estimated "timelines" can go straight out the window.

:thumbs:

Review all of them, decide what is BEST for you. There are advantages and disadvatages of each that depend on your situation. Deciding by which is FASTER alone is very poor planning in and of itself. The time difference seems to be evaporating but still favors the K-1 but she cannot work when she arrives until after the AOS so the time from petition to GREEN CARD is the same or favors the CR-1. If her being able to work is an issue then the CR-1 is the only way to go. If she has children between the ages of 18-20 that she wants to bring the K-1 is the ONLY way to go. If there is a possibility she could have to leave the country shortly after arriving (questionable health of parents for example) then the CR-1 is the best route.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

The fiance visa (k-1) will allow her to join you in the States faster (my guess is it she might be there 2 months faster barring any issues with the approval process), but will cost you roughly double the cost of spouse visa (k-3), about $2,300 vs. $1,100. The overall process is pretty similar, the differences being that on a K-3 she will have her greencard upon entering the States with the approved Visa. With a fiance visa, the visa is approved and then when she enters the States, you must get married within 90 days and file for an adjustment of status for her to receive her greencard.

You're mistaken, the K3 was a non-immigrant visa and holders had to file for AOS just like a K1. Anyway, it is obsolete.

The only viable spousal visa nowadays is IR1/CR1.

Faster as less time apart? Then the K1 (fiancée), by a couple months.

Faster as the fastest way for her to become a lawful permanent resident? Then the CR1 (spousal), by at least 6 months, and a lot less trouble, since everything is over by the time she gets her visa (whereas K1 holders must file AOS once in the US).

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.