jennmd

dual citizenship benefits

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi.. If you become a US citizen would you lose the benefits like social security benefit in the Philippines? What about Pension or Life insurance there? If you have properties? Can someone share opinions.. Thank you..

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't know the fine details, but one of our goals if for my (by then) wife to have dual citizenship then all of that will not be a concern, along with her being able to draw off my social security one day as my spouse.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Hi.. If you become a US citizen would you lose the benefits like social security benefit in the Philippines? What about Pension or Life insurance there? If you have properties? Can someone share opinions.. Thank you..

Lose social security benefits in Pi is like loosing few pesos.

The US wont recognize dual citizenship for her, but in Pi they have some BS dual citizen thing that will still allow her to own land and other benefits.

Timeline

Don't know the fine details, but one of our goals if for my (by then) wife to have dual citizenship then all of that will not be a concern, along with her being able to draw off my social security one day as my spouse.

--------------------------

I understand.. later on you will go through this.. i am now in the way of renewing my passport which is going to expire soon or getting a citizenship and forget renewing my passport. Good luck for both of our journeys.. (F)

Timeline

Lose social security benefits in Pi is like loosing few pesos.

The US wont recognize dual citizenship for her, but in Pi they have some BS dual citizen thing that will still allow her to own land and other benefits.

----------------------------------------------

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I will proceed to file for my US citizenship and then go for applying the dual citizenship in PI later.. Have a nice day.. :yes:

I dont think you have to reapply for dual citizenship. Since 2003 filipinos who take other foreign citizenship are deemed to NOT have lost their philippine citizenship

:thumbs: partly, only for those that lost their filipino citizenship through naturalization in another country. Link from CFO website this link lists all the benefits of having dual citizenship.

Bob

Edited by calibob
  • Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

My wife looked into this as far as the social security benefit ( I believe) and as long as you continue payments into the system you'll be eligible for a benefit at retirement age. SSS website (bottom refers to OFW and people abroad) Hope this helps clarify your situation.

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Timeline

:thumbs: partly, only for those that lost their filipino citizenship through naturalization in another country. Link from CFO website this link lists all the benefits of having dual citizenship.

Bob

--------------------------------

I appreciate very much for the website you gave and good luck to your journey together with your wife here soon. :)

Timeline

My wife looked into this as far as the social security benefit ( I believe) and as long as you continue payments into the system you'll be eligible for a benefit at retirement age. SSS website (bottom refers to OFW and people abroad) Hope this helps clarify your situation.

Bob

Yes, this is what my fiancee told me as well, so she wants to keep paying into her SSS in the Phils.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Thanks!!

All approved!! :dance: :dance:

Now its time to kick back and relax. Timing is everything... raining today... :lol:

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.