StraightShooter

I’d like to bounce some thoughts around

37 posts in this topic

If there is no deviation on the baggage fee for domestic flights, then I think traveling by boat is your best option. Then staying in an Apartelle until all the process is done is also a good way to save monies. The possibility of a positive result during medical is what it is. Hopefully, you won't run into that. We selected to have the visa delivered to 2go outlet at the Mall of Asia and got the visa within 3 days. Good luck!

Edited by dindo and patty

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

Most likely your best option is to use the superferry or its equivalent. Your fiancee will most likely be use to traveling by ferry and she will not have any weight restrictions included in her fare. She will just have to pay the porters to lug it on and off the ferry and then hire a jeepney (private trip) to take it to your apartelle. That would save you the cost of the airfare and you would be able to use the money saved to pay for the transportation of the goods to/from the apartelle.

You can get a ferry ticket for about 750-1000 for the standard fares, or you can get a cabin for 2 for about $80. so the trip would be more comfortable for her and her son. That way she doesn't have to keep a continuous eye open on her son she will have an enclosed area to let him play but safe from scumbags.

I have done all three methods, airfare, private room and open berthing, and as a westerner, of course I prefer to fly to just get it over, but your fiancee has grown up taking ferries so the time issue is less of a factor for her. Plus we've already discussed the high cost for extra baggage, and this is a good alternative.

Lastly is the safety factor for justifying the need to spring for a little extra cash to get the private stateroom.

Our time line:

-----------

11-2-09 Met for the first time

11-3-09 Went to dinner to celebrate my birthday

11-18-09 Officially became bf/gf.

11-22-09 Went back to the States

1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.

10-8-10 2nd Trip back to Philippines

10-10-10 Proposed to her ... She said YES!

10-16-10 Meet her parents and family in the province for the first time

10-25-10 Returned to States

11-2010 Started her annulment process

1-4-11 Free to marry within the country

2-8-11 3rd trip to Philippines

2-10-11 Annulment process complete (can file for US visas now)

4-27-11 Got Married

5-30-11 Finally received marriage contract from priest

6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted

6-22-11 Finally got updated CENOMAR to show annulment of previous marriage

7-29-11 Finally had to say good bye and leave the Philippines after 6 months

8-18-11 Submitted CR-1 pkg to visa service agency

9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.

9-12-11 NOA1 received

3-14-12 USCIS approved our I-130

3-17-12 NOA2 received

NVC:

3-19-12 Package acknowledged by NVC.

4-3-12 NVC enters our package into their system and generates our case#

4-4-12 AOS pmt made

Manila Embassy

4-9-12 Petition US Embassy Manila to expedite since I will be in country

5-23-12 Interview at US Embassy - approved

5-31-12 Visa in Hand

6-6-12 Len Arrives!!!!! in the US via Chicago to Houston

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Most likely your best option is to use the superferry or its equivalent. Your fiancee will most likely be use to traveling by ferry and she will not have any weight restrictions included in her fare. She will just have to pay the porters to lug it on and off the ferry and then hire a jeepney (private trip) to take it to your apartelle. That would save you the cost of the airfare and you would be able to use the money saved to pay for the transportation of the goods to/from the apartelle.

You can get a ferry ticket for about 750-1000 for the standard fares, or you can get a cabin for 2 for about $80. so the trip would be more comfortable for her and her son. That way she doesn't have to keep a continuous eye open on her son she will have an enclosed area to let him play but safe from scumbags.

I have done all three methods, airfare, private room and open berthing, and as a westerner, of course I prefer to fly to just get it over, but your fiancee has grown up taking ferries so the time issue is less of a factor for her. Plus we've already discussed the high cost for extra baggage, and this is a good alternative.

Lastly is the safety factor for justifying the need to spring for a little extra cash to get the private stateroom.

Thanks! I'll have her read this thread when next she's online.

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Thanks! I'll have her read this thread when next she's online.

For me to take ferries is not safe and it hassle, too crowded when you get off the ship there are many bad guys around..they can take medical in advance just to avoid delay if ever they can encounter problem with their medical say for example kid will be positive in TST and fiancee require to have sputum test at least they have enough time to do some test if needed..cebu pacific isn't that expensive specially when you can grab their promo,when i flew to cebu for my CFO my airfare my 1008pesos roundtrip,its safer and its quicker..

Timeline

For me to take ferries is not safe and it hassle, too crowded when you get off the ship there are many bad guys around..they can take medical in advance just to avoid delay if ever they can encounter problem with their medical say for example kid will be positive in TST and fiancee require to have sputum test at least they have enough time to do some test if needed..cebu pacific isn't that expensive specially when you can grab their promo,when i flew to cebu for my CFO my airfare my 1008pesos roundtrip,its safer and its quicker..

Well, they can only take the medical once we receive the NOA2, so I really don't know how much in "advance" that would be. The airfare isn't the issue... it's the excess baggage fees.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Well, they can only take the medical once we receive the NOA2, so I really don't know how much in "advance" that would be. The airfare isn't the issue... it's the excess baggage fees.

Well,mostly airlines include standard fees of baggage when you purchase a ticket,cebu pacific don't they offer choices of your baggage..like other airline hand carry is free which is 15 pounds..if you feel like your hand carry is more than 15 pounds you can check it in..there are choices 30pounds for 150pesos,45pounds for 200pesos,55pounds for 400pesos and 65pounds for 700pesos.hope this well help.

Timeline

If they are going to be staying in Manila for a while, have them send their stuff to Manila before they leave via LBC. Then it's there for when they will leave for the US.

Timeline

Timeline

Well,mostly airlines include standard fees of baggage when you purchase a ticket,cebu pacific don't they offer choices of your baggage..like other airline hand carry is free which is 15 pounds..if you feel like your hand carry is more than 15 pounds you can check it in..there are choices 30pounds for 150pesos,45pounds for 200pesos,55pounds for 400pesos and 65pounds for 700pesos.hope this well help.

Thanks. Do you have a link with that info? I can’t find it anywhere on the Cebu Pacific website.

If they are going to be staying in Manila for a while, have them send their stuff to Manila before they leave via LBC. Then it's there for when they will leave for the US.

Now, that’s an idea... I’ll talk with my fiancée about it when we next chat.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Thanks. Do you have a link with that info? I can’t find it anywhere on the Cebu Pacific website.

Now, that’s an idea... I’ll talk with my fiancée about it when we next chat.

Go to their website and click your city of destination say for example davao to manila and the date and click search there is an option of best fare then click continue and you'll see the baggage allowance option..LBC isn't that cheap i tell you that I'd rather have a baggage check in.

Timeline

I'll be chatting with my finacee again tonight my time and we'll look into the LBC thing.

When we chatted the other day, we decided that she will get a scale and start weighing the things that she KNOWS she will bring. That will give us an idea of the most economical approach.

We also decided that she will try to find a state of the art x-ray facility and she will have a chest x-ray done to allay concerns or start treatment, whichever is appropriate. But, from what I've learned, if she is symptom free then there should be no requirement for a sputum test and we won't have to deal with a 2 month delay.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

UPDATE:

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. We appreciate it and have a little news.

My fiancee found a local hospital that just recently installed new high tech x-ray machines, had her x-ray done last week and was negative for TB. She also had a Mantoux skin test done on her boy and he too was negative. Yeheyy!

She's also been preparing her things for departure. Gave away some, tossed some and is now down to the definite stuff that she will be bringing. Total weight for the combined items will be about 60 kilos, not including the luggage itself. We'll do the prepaid baggage thing and she will be able to bring it all for an affordable price.

I've also been researching affordable places in Manila for a one-month stay and have found some for her to check out via a family member there.

Things are coming together. Once we get the NOA2, we'll be able to kick into high gear!

Thanks again, all.

-SS

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

When I fly with two bags for international travel I get no extra charge for having two checked bags on the domestic leg (in the states), I am flying the same airline all the way through. Not sure if that is standard with all airlines

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

When I fly with two bags for international travel I get no extra charge for having two checked bags on the domestic leg (in the states), I am flying the same airline all the way through. Not sure if that is standard with all airlines

Yeah, it wasn't the international leg that was the issue. It was the domestic flight where the extra charges could have been prohibitive, as shown in item #2 in my original post.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yeah, it wasn't the international leg that was the issue. It was the domestic flight where the extra charges could have been prohibitive, as shown in item #2 in my original post.

As said, I was not charged for having a second bag on the domestic part of the trip, three flights now.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.