TiredOfUSCIS

USCIS contacted after became a US citizen

55 posts in this topic

You have to keep the sender info there for everyone to see it. If you want to remove your personal info is ok but I don't get it why would you remove the sender info as that is precisely the heart of the issue. You have to be straight forward if you want to receive more accurate response from others.

K1-K2 Visas Journey

(Day 1) 05/23/07: Packet sent to CSC

(Day 247) 01/25/08: Interview. Approved!

(Day 254) 02/01/08: Visas Received.

AOS Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 04/20/08: Application sent.

(Day 73) 07/02/08: EAD,AP Approved!

(Day 108) 08/05/08: AOS Approved!

(Day 114) 08/11/08: 2 years GC received.

ROC Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 05/09/10: Application sent.

(Day 129) 09/14/10: ROC Approved!

(Day 135) 09/20/10: 10 years GC received.

Naturalization Journey

(Day 1) 10/02/11: Application sent.

(Day 122) 01/31/12: Interview. PASSED!

(Day 125) 02/03/12: Oath Ceremony. Done!

End of our Journey:

Daughter and I became U.S. Citizens on 02/03/2012.

(Day 1) 02/09/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card.

(Day 16) 02/24/12: Passport received.

(Day 19) 02/27/12: Passport Card received.

(Day 24) 03/03/12: Got CoN back.

N-600 for Daughter

(Day 1) 02/04/12: Application sent.

(Day 117) 05/30/12: Picked up Certificate of Citizenship at USCIS local office Chicago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

What is the missing document anyway? How are you supposed to take it in if they don't even tell you what is missing? If this was true, you would have to go there a first time just to find out what they need, then go there a second time with this document. They would need to give you extra time to get it. It would take a few weeks: takes too long for being that urgent. Also, if this was true, it would show that despite the whole journey is a pain in the a$$, they made it to screw up and they gave the US citizenship to someone who did not have all the docs in line and ready. a few heads would be rolling by now...

Did you call to figure out whether this is true or not?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Call USCIS

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree that this is suspicious.

The only way this letter makes sense is if they don't have a copy of your naturalization document - which they will have on computerized file so that doesn't make sense either. You could certainly try calling and get the call transferred to a second tier immigration officer and see what is going on. You should have received a hard copy. Do you still have an online status update account? You may wish to restart one and enter your Naturalization case number to see if there has been any status updates posted there. If there are, then it would indicate that this letter is the real thing. If there are not, well, it doesn't indicate it is real or false because status isn't always updated.

If you are able to identify the full header information it would help to determine the actual source of the email. I use outlook so when I get an email, I can right click on the email without opening it up, then go down to 'options' and click on that. A form then opens up that contains a window that is filled with the source coding that shows where the email originated and the route it took to get where it is. If you are able to find out how to access that detailed source information it would also help to indicate whether this is real or not.

I definitely wouldn't act solely on the basis of an email. At the very least I would email back and politely suggest a) that they send you an official letter on letterhead and b) they tell you exactly what document is missing and required so you can bring it.

Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

I have received an email this morning from USCIS asking me to show up at the USCIS office due to missing documents. I became a US citizen more than 6 months now.

Here is the contents:

!!U R G E N T!!

Dear XXXX,

It has come to our attention that an important document is missing from your immigration file. Please print this e-mail and bring it with you to the USCIS office in xxxx, xx IMMEDIATELY.

Please have with you a photo I.D. and your original Naturalization Certificate.

I am so tired of dealing with USCIS. It has been a long journey and I don't know and don;t even want to know what else they want from me.

Anyone has had similar experience? Why would they want me to show up at the USCIS office? If something is really missing why not ask me to mail it to them?

SIGH***

Thank you for reading my vent and question.

I am with those who regard this email as a fake one. Yes, USCIS would definitely not send an email . They would send you a notice personally. Go to the USCIS office from which the email claims to come from and clarify whether it is genuine or not. Report this to the USCIS so that they become aware of such fraudulent activities.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It can be a crime sending a fake email like this.

Agreed. I would report it to police and file a report. Cyber-bullying is a crime, let alone pretending to be a government agency!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you so much everyone for your kind replies. I am now 100% positive that this is a FAKE email from someone in my past (who has been cyber talking me for ages)

Report them to police. Report this to police. People like this continue to do it because they think you won't do anything about it.

I have had a certain person signing me up for mailings. Stuff like magazines, creams, enquiries about products and ####### like that and once my husband and I made it know to her spouse (we don't talk to her) that we WOULD report it to police if it happened again (13 or so mailings so far) it has stopped. The only reason we HAVEN'T report it is because the person doing it works for a government agency and if we report it she would be charged with mail fraud (federal crime) and fired. They would lose their house (she definitely lives up to her income and beyond it and her spouse couldn't support the household fees alone) and we like some of the other family members and don't want to put them through that.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Consider this OP, in your entire journey from petition to citizenship - how many emails have you received from USCIS that were not followed up with a hard copy?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I have received an email this morning from USCIS asking me to show up at the USCIS office due to missing documents. I became a US citizen more than 6 months now.

Here is the contents:

!!U R G E N T!!

Dear XXXX,

It has come to our attention that an important document is missing from your immigration file. Please print this e-mail and bring it with you to the USCIS office in xxxx, xx IMMEDIATELY.

Please have with you a photo I.D. and your original Naturalization Certificate.

I am so tired of dealing with USCIS. It has been a long journey and I don't know and don;t even want to know what else they want from me.

Anyone has had similar experience? Why would they want me to show up at the USCIS office? If something is really missing why not ask me to mail it to them?

SIGH***

Thank you for reading my vent and question.

sounds like a scam. wait for a real letter

As fake as it can be. The few things that just strike out of the email !!U R G E N T!! and IMMEDIATELY. The USCIS will never capitalize or include words like that. Even if it is urgent, they will send you a certified mail but not email for sure.

While the address could be valid, here never would be an email like that sent to you, especially after your case is closed. If you want to provide full email address I can check if it is really exist. They would send you an official letter, they are not very good in using emails notifying on the case status changes, left alone send you an email after 6 month. I doubt they still have your information.

I agree with others who said report it as a crime let FBI deal with this, this is a serious crime.

Edited by Oksana & Max
event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Even the wording doesn't sound quite right. I would definitely report this fake to the USCIS and the police and have the person playing with you face the consequences. I'm pretty sure sending a fake email from a dhs.gov address is a serious offense!

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.