Sweetgirl

Speeding ticket and upcoming Naturalization filing .....

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone!

I am concerned about the following:

I've been pulled over by the police for the driving over the limit and my husband said that we need to go to court and i still dont understand why did we have to go to court as we have paid for the ticket anyways.

It was an interesting challenge for me ,but i am concerned about if that issue would impact on my upcoming Naturalization process? Am i in trouble?

I appreciate your concern.

Best wishes (F)

Sweetgirl,

That does not make sense. If you received a speeding ticket, allowing you to just pay a fine, no court appearance is required.

On the other hand, how fast were you going over the limit? Certain speeds exceeding the limit, usually 15-20 mph, can result in a reckless driving charge, if the police so chose to charge it that way.

These generally result in a required court appearance. This would be a misdemeanor charge. From the driving insurance perspective, not good. From the "am I in trouble" perspective, no. This is not a "criminal" offense.

Can you be more specific with the circumstances?

Hello everyone!

I've been pulled over by the police for the driving over the limit and my husband said that we need to go to court and i still dont understand why did we have to go to court as we have paid for the ticket anyways.

It was an interesting challenge for me ,but i am concerned about if that issue would impact on my upcoming Naturalization process? Am i in trouble?

Best wishes (F)

Hello everyone!

Best wishes (F)

Sweetgirl,

That does not make sense. If you received a speeding ticket, allowing you to just pay a fine, no court appearance is required.

On the other hand, how fast were you going over the limit? Certain speeds exceeding the limit, usually 15-20 mph, can result in a reckless driving charge, if the police so chose to charge it that way.

These generally result in a required court appearance. This would be a misdemeanor charge. From the driving insurance perspective, not good. From the "am I in trouble" perspective, no. This is not a "criminal" offense.

Even many reckless driving or exceeding reasonable/prudent speed charges can be paid without going to court (with separate fine). One circumstance where it DOES require going to courthouse is if the moving violation is in conjunction with document offence (I had this happen once--speeding ticket in conjunction with out-of-state US licence which I hadn't bothered changing; I had to change the licence to the "right" state and then go to courthouse to pay both fines :( ). But I've never heard of having to go to court AFTER paying the fine--unless one wants to appeal it.

Moving violations rarely have impact on naturalisation process. I got pulled over for "driving privileges suspended for lack of insurance" in Fairfax somewhat before my own naturalisation swear-in (a VA-based policy I'd had at the time was cancelled due to a minor accident in Bethesda; I was NOT uninsured, having a MD-based policy--but dealing with this cost me $45 and some migraines).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

CherryXS,

Agreed, many (speed related) reckless driving charges can be paid in advance without a court appearance.

My line of thinking is that one "should" go to court, as you may get the charge reduced, which may result in a more friendly response from the insurance company! :)

Even many reckless driving or exceeding reasonable/prudent speed charges can be paid without going to court (with separate fine). One circumstance where it DOES require going to courthouse is if the moving violation is in conjunction with document offence (I had this happen once--speeding ticket in conjunction with out-of-state US licence which I hadn't bothered changing; I had to change the licence to the "right" state and then go to courthouse to pay both fines :( ). But I've never heard of having to go to court AFTER paying the fine--unless one wants to appeal it.

Moving violations rarely have impact on naturalisation process. I got pulled over for "driving privileges suspended for lack of insurance" in Fairfax somewhat before my own naturalisation swear-in (a VA-based policy I'd had at the time was cancelled due to a minor accident in Bethesda; I was NOT uninsured, having a MD-based policy--but dealing with this cost me $45 and some migraines).

CherryXS,

Agreed, many (speed related) reckless driving charges can be paid in advance without a court appearance.

My line of thinking is that one "should" go to court, as you may get the charge reduced, which may result in a more friendly response from the insurance company! :)

But can one actually go to court if the fine was already advance-paid?

True that charges (as well as fines) can be reduced (or merged) if defendant pleads guilty in court--but I haven't heard of too many going to court AFTER paying the fine.

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

CherryXS,

True that charges (as well as fines) can be reduced (or merged) if defendant pleads guilty in court--but I haven't heard of too many going to court AFTER paying the fine.

CherryXS,

We are on the same wavelength here.

I was addressing your comment about court, not the OP's circumstances, of having already paid the fine.

By the way, you do not need to plead guilty to get charges reduced. If the Officer does not show in court for instance, case dismissed. That is what I was getting at.

In my first post, I advised the OP that court after paying the fine did not make sense. I also requested clarification on that point.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Fine already paid, I would say court appearance not necessary, unless court appearance is mandatory (ticket/officer would tell you). In that case, it was not necessary to pay fine in advance. Call the number on back of ticket, which should be for the municipal building in that town and direct your questions there. For the other matter, I don't think USCIS cares about speeding tickets. You may have to list it on the form, but that's about it. Good luck (F)

*Karen -- Jamaica ....... Courtney -- New Jersey*

09-12-05 - AOS filed

04-21-06 - AOS Interview

04-27-06 - Approval

05-17-06 - Green Card in hand

02-11-08 - File to remove conditions

03-15-08 - Biometrics

03-18-09 - Approved - No interview (Card production ordered)

03-24-09 - 10-year card arrives!

adaf8672.gif

JimminiCricket.jpg

CherryXS,

I was addressing your comment about court, not the OP's circumstances, of having already paid the fine.

By the way, you do not need to plead guilty to get charges reduced. If the Officer does not show in court for instance, case dismissed. That is what I was getting at.

Also true--and this option would be RECOMMENDED when defendant KNOWS that the ticket was wrongly issued.

This happened to a former colleague about 8 years ago. He was stopped for doing 73 along I-85 in Gwinnett County around the end of March 1988. In this case, the officer had actual offender was the driver of another similar car (green Saturn). In such a case, no option other than going to court.

(unfortunately, courts are all-too-oft willing to assume police or their equipment as infallible, as happened in his case).

In my first post, I advised the OP that court after paying the fine did not make sense. I also requested clarification on that point.

True.

Edited by CherryXS

CherryXS,

CherryXS,

Hello everyone!

Thank you very much for your replies.

I have just found out the reason why i went to court.

The ticket was unpaid yet and the reason why we went to court is for to plead guilty and not to have the speeding ticket on my driving record .As i wouldnt go to court the speeding ticket would be recorded and my insurance would go up .The case is gonna be dismissed in a 4 monht if i am not gonna get wny more speediong tickets.For the present time the ticket is not on my record.

In Colorado u dont have to go to the traffic school for the first speeding ticket .

Also ive been told that its very bad to get a speeding ticket in Colorado as they charge 4 points and after certain multiple speeding violation time the drivers license may be revoked.

I do hope that the speeding violation is not gonna impact on the Citizenship process.

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely. (F)

Sweetgirl,

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes i was exceeding the limit by 15 mph., but seems like that was not considered as a misdemeanor charge.

The ticket was paid off after the court procedure .

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

Hello everyone!

Thank you very much for your replies.

I have just found out the reason why i went to court.

The ticket was unpaid yet and the reason why we went to court is for to plead guilty and not to have the speeding ticket on my driving record .As i wouldnt go to court the speeding ticket would be recorded and my insurance would go up .The case is gonna be dismissed in a 4 monht if i am not gonna get wny more speediong tickets.For the present time the ticket is not on my record.

In Colorado u dont have to go to the traffic school for the first speeding ticket .

Also ive been told that its very bad to get a speeding ticket in Colorado as they charge 4 points and after certain multiple speeding violation time the drivers license may be revoked.

I do hope that the speeding violation is not gonna impact on the Citizenship process.

Best wishes. (F)

It shouldn't, alone, impact the naturalisation process, but there are questions on the form N400 where you will have to note that you received the citation.

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As DM said, you will need to declare it on your application and have the documentation to prove the outcome. Save all of your court paperwork to take to your Natz interview.

And slow down! :P

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Speeding ticket is not a felony, unless you were under DUI, or some other offences attached to it, Like driving to cone zone, speeding on a school zone that kinda thing, mostly you can pay for the ticket and don't have to go to court. IF YOU WANT TO FIGHT THE CHARGES then you go to cour to plead your case, normally it's the best options as the cops sometimes are too busy and don't even show up, IF YOU ARE LUCKY and the cop don't show up it's an AUTOMATIC dismissal of the ticket. It's the same in NEW YORK< same in California, I don't know about the law in Colorado, But if you have already paid the ticket and go to court and your case is Dimiss then you are even entitled to a Refund.

Goood luck

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Speeding tickets will not do a thing. I've accumulated quite a bunch in my 9 or so years being here. I'll be sending in my N-400 and those won't have any effect. Court dates depend on the state you are given the ticket. Some states it is mandatory to have a court date, other states you have a choice. So that means nothing at all. I've had both types. The court ones you get to reduce your points and possibly reduce the fine as well. BTW Colorado is the one state I am refering to as a mandatory court date. I live here and have had 2 so far in my life. Both you are required to attend court regardless.

Simple process, wait in the lobby, go see the trial attourny (what ever it is) that that show you to. He looks at your ticket and says to you how he thinks it can be reduced. He marks this on a piece of paper. You take that into the court room hand it to the bailif and stand there. The judge reads it and says, ok fine is this, and this many points, next. It's nothing at all, I was just unlucky to have it happen 2 times in the same month with the same judge. Nothing ever got brought up in my naturalization process.

Anyways, don't even worry about speeding tickets. Now if you were speeding from the police in a high speed chase through a residential area in a stolen car, then maybe you might get a bit worried...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.