nexgenasian

when should I send the affidavit of support (i-134)

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

I'm a bit confused by the info on this page here at VJs,

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide#proof

I'm looking it over and I see it says to send the i-134 amongst other thing once the NOA2 arrives. The NOA2 is something the non citizen gets from their consulate right?

The reason I ask was I've been checking the USCIS status site (http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide#proof) and finally got approved March 7, 2012. It says though that they "mailed me a notice that we approved this 129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E)"; but that's not NOA2 right? Or is it?

Should I wait till she gets her letter or can I send it now? Thanks all!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi,

http://www.visajourn...t/k1guide#proof

I'm looking it over and I see it says to send the i-134 amongst other thing once the NOA2 arrives. The NOA2 is something the non citizen gets from their consulate right?

The reason I ask was I've been checking the USCIS status site (http://www.visajourn...t/k1guide#proof) and finally got approved March 7, 2012. It says though that they "mailed me a notice that we approved this 129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E)"; but that's not NOA2 right? Or is it?

Go to the K1 GUIDE and scroll down to where it says: What to send to your fiance(e) once the I-129F is approved (Receive NOA2)

The I-134 must be presented at the time of the interview, so you'll have to complete and mail it to her... follow the instructions I just pointed out to you, and you should be fine. Things will make sense good.gif

Edited by Celeste & C

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

http://www.visajourn...t/k1guide#proof

No the non-citizen doe not get the NOA2, its the 797 Notice of Action the Petitioner gets when the petition is approved.

The reason I ask was I've been checking the USCIS status site (http://www.visajourn...t/k1guide#proof) and finally got approved March 7, 2012. It says though that they "mailed me a notice that we approved this 129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E)"; but that's not NOA2 right? Or is it?

And you have been approved!! Congrats!!!! :dance: :dance: The actual notice will arrive in the mail.

You should start to complete the I-134 and supporting documents so you can send them.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide#proof

The reason I ask was I've been checking the USCIS status site (http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide#proof) and finally got approved March 7, 2012. It says though that they "mailed me a notice that we approved this 129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E)"; but that's not NOA2 right? Or is it?

You can & should look at the P 3 requirements. Find them on the embassy web site. Send her the 134 form right now along with at least one year tax transcript.

You are going to get NOA 2 which is what they told you. That means the case is now at NVC where it will reamin for only a short time. It then is sent to BKK where it arrives at the consulate section. They forward it to the visa section. When you are sure its there you can submit the P 3 docs. Those will include a police report & her medical. The submission of those docs triggers the interview date. That date will be about 60 to 90 days later.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

NOA2 is not something the non US-citizen get from the consulate. Your petition was approved, and that's what the Notice Of Action 2 will say (your NOA2 date is March 7th). It's a letter the petitioner (so US citizen) will receive in the mail.

Start gathering all documents your fiancee will need from you at her interview (I-134 and supporting docs, …) and send them to her as soon as you can.

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Timeline

NOA2 is not something the non US-citizen get from the consulate. Your petition was approved, and that's what the Notice Of Action 2 will say (your NOA2 date is March 7th). It's a letter the petitioner (so US citizen) will receive in the mail.

Start gathering all documents your fiancee will need from you at her interview (I-134 and supporting docs, …) and send them to her as soon as you can.

Thanks you all for your quick assurance, but I've still got questions.

I can pretty much gather everything really quickly, except for my tax return for 2011, and send it to her via express mail in about a week, maybe 10 days. I've been reading horror stories here at VJ about how long some people's cases were sitting at the NVC and there fore how many months since between getting their NOA2 and getting / sending off packet 3 then interview. I'm asking since if I get my employee letter now and intent to marry letter to her with today's date, and she doesn't interview till say June, wouldn't they want me to update that again? How long is an employee letter, bank data, letter of intent to marry valid for in their eyes? 90 days? 180 days?

Oh one last thing, is a W2 sufficient for 2011? I'm in the middle of trying to finish my tax returns this year and its a bit hectic to try to get the whole 1040 and other forms done.

Timeline

Thanks you all for your quick assurance, but I've still got questions.

I can pretty much gather everything really quickly, except for my tax return for 2011, and send it to her via express mail in about a week, maybe 10 days. I've been reading horror stories here at VJ about how long some people's cases were sitting at the NVC and there fore how many months since between getting their NOA2 and getting / sending off packet 3 then interview. I'm asking since if I get my employee letter now and intent to marry letter to her with today's date, and she doesn't interview till say June, wouldn't they want me to update that again? How long is an employee letter, bank data, letter of intent to marry valid for in their eyes? 90 days? 180 days?

Oh one last thing, is a W2 sufficient for 2011? I'm in the middle of trying to finish my tax returns this year and its a bit hectic to try to get the whole 1040 and other forms done.

I caution you to follow the procedures used by the embassy in BKK. Tax returns & W 2s may not be accepted. If tax returns are submitted they must include every supporting form and document filed with them. Even then they may reject a return. They prefer & accept transcripts which are easy to obtain from the IRS and also free. You can have them in one day by fax for example. Submitting a w 2 only will cause the case to be delayed or denied.

You have plenty of time to get these things to her prior to the interview. They will accept any reasonable date on your docs. No one here can tell you the exact answers to when this will all take place. The horror stories you are reading may or may not have anything to do with you case. This is all about timing. You time is now so what is happening now has a cause and affect on your case. K 1 cases pass quickly thru NVC unlike C R 1 types. NVC takes almost no action on K 1 cases.

The 134 is the most important document. If there is a delay in the case that causes the other docs to become somewhat out dated you could always scan a current document to her. I doubt that will happen. Remember the interview date will occur about 60 to 90 days after she sends in P 3.

Timeline

I caution you to follow the procedures used by the embassy in BKK. Tax returns & W 2s may not be accepted. If tax returns are submitted they must include every supporting form and document filed with them. Even then they may reject a return. They prefer & accept transcripts which are easy to obtain from the IRS and also free. You can have them in one day by fax for example. Submitting a w 2 only will cause the case to be delayed or denied.

You have plenty of time to get these things to her prior to the interview. They will accept any reasonable date on your docs. No one here can tell you the exact answers to when this will all take place. The horror stories you are reading may or may not have anything to do with you case. This is all about timing. You time is now so what is happening now has a cause and affect on your case. K 1 cases pass quickly thru NVC unlike C R 1 types. NVC takes almost no action on K 1 cases.

The 134 is the most important document. If there is a delay in the case that causes the other docs to become somewhat out dated you could always scan a current document to her. I doubt that will happen. Remember the interview date will occur about 60 to 90 days after she sends in P 3.

Hi, thanks again for the quick reply.

After reading the instructions for the I 134, it seems they only want your tax related things if you are self employed. I'm questioning now to even give my fiancee my pay stubs as the instructions basically say,

A) Bank letter of

i) Date account opened,

ii) Deposits within the last year

iii) Present Balance

B) Employment letter

i) Date hired and position

ii) Salary

iii) Permenant or Temporary

No mention of pay stubs, or W2s or bank monthly bank statements. As this replier inferred, the more stuff you give the more scrutiny you lay yourself too.

Would those two things be enough, or should I still get the IRS transcripts?

Timeline

Hi, thanks again for the quick reply.

After reading the instructions for the I 134, it seems they only want your tax related things if you are self employed. I'm questioning now to even give my fiancee my pay stubs as the instructions basically say,

A) Bank letter of

i) Date account opened,

ii) Deposits within the last year

iii) Present Balance

B) Employment letter

i) Date hired and position

ii) Salary

iii) Permenant or Temporary

No mention of pay stubs, or W2s or bank monthly bank statements. As this replier inferred, the more stuff you give the more scrutiny you lay yourself too.

Would those two things be enough, or should I still get the IRS transcripts?

Your list is correct & sufficent. However we have seen quite a a few cases where they requested the transcripts. The problem is you wont know if they want them or not until its too late. Not really too late because you could always fax it directly to them for review. They will have her come back within a week or so at which time they will issue the visa within 3 days.

Best way to ensure success is to send the transcript. Its free & easy to get thru IRS by mail, fax or in person at an IRS office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

You can & should look at the P 3 requirements. Find them on the embassy web site. Send her the 134 form right now along with at least one year tax transcript.

You are going to get NOA 2 which is what they told you. That means the case is now at NVC where it will reamin for only a short time. It then is sent to BKK where it arrives at the consulate section. They forward it to the visa section. When you are sure its there you can submit the P 3 docs. Those will include a police report & her medical. The submission of those docs triggers the interview date. That date will be about 60 to 90 days later.

Why do people keep saying the tax transcript thing for i-134?

It clearly states on the instructions it's only required if one is self-employed.

Did I miss something here?

I-129F/K-1

4/2007 - Met

4/2007 - 8/2011 Dated

8/2011 - Engaged

10/5/2011 - Sent I-129F

10/7/2011 - I-129F received

10/14/2011 - Received Official USCIS Acceptance Confirmation (Email)

10/17/2011 - Payment Processed

10/21/2011 - I-797C NOA Received

11/21~11/27/2011 - Touched

03/27/2012 NOA2 Approved!

Timeline

Why do people keep saying the tax transcript thing for i-134?

It clearly states on the instructions it's only required if one is self-employed.

Did I miss something here?

I dont know about you people but myself & a few others know that the embassy can & sometimes does request a transcript. Especially BKK. I Think I said its best to submit it. We all have to do what we think is best. If you people for example dont want to do it then you people wont. Its possible that you people using your embassy wont need it.

The problem for some people is time. In some cases I know of in BKK it was required which added time, stress & money to the situation. Few Thais for example have any idea of what a 134 is or a transcript. They have traveled possibly 12 hours by bus to interview only to call the USC trying to explain what is now required. In one case I helped with it took a month longer for her to get her visa.

Timeline

Your list is correct & sufficent. However we have seen quite a a few cases where they requested the transcripts. The problem is you wont know if they want them or not until its too late. Not really too late because you could always fax it directly to them for review. They will have her come back within a week or so at which time they will issue the visa within 3 days.

Best way to ensure success is to send the transcript. Its free & easy to get thru IRS by mail, fax or in person at an IRS office.

I'll take your word for it. I called and ordered the IRS transcripts for 2010 (haven't filed 2011 yet :( ) , 2009 and 2008. Hope its enough. Obviously I'll be sending my employment letter and bank letter as well. I'll give my fiancee 3 months of pay stubs as well.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I dont know about you people but myself & a few others know that the embassy can & sometimes does request a transcript. Especially BKK. I Think I said its best to submit it. We all have to do what we think is best. If you people for example dont want to do it then you people wont. Its possible that you people using your embassy wont need it.

The problem for some people is time. In some cases I know of in BKK it was required which added time, stress & money to the situation. Few Thais for example have any idea of what a 134 is or a transcript. They have traveled possibly 12 hours by bus to interview only to call the USC trying to explain what is now required. In one case I helped with it took a month longer for her to get her visa.

There are two kinds of transcripts you can get. Which kind should be sent?

A tax return transcript

or

A tax account transcript

Also if you kept copies of all the paper work used when filing your taxes do you need to get a transcript or can you just make copies of the documentation you have kept?

Timeline

I'll take your word for it. I called and ordered the IRS transcripts for 2010 (haven't filed 2011 yet :( ) , 2009 and 2008. Hope its enough. Obviously I'll be sending my employment letter and bank letter as well. I'll give my fiancee 3 months of pay stubs as well.

I know this is the best you can do for now. Still I suggest you try to have the 2012 for them when the time comes. If you can not I would send a simple statement with the 134 indicating your gross income for 2012. The bank statement will show your deposits which indicate income as well as will the pay stubs.

The most important part of your case will be the support. These cases are pretty much decided prior to the intervew which tells you how much weight is placed on these docs.

Timeline

I know this is the best you can do for now. Still I suggest you try to have the 2012 for them when the time comes. If you can not I would send a simple statement with the 134 indicating your gross income for 2012. The bank statement will show your deposits which indicate income as well as will the pay stubs.

The most important part of your case will be the support. These cases are pretty much decided prior to the intervew which tells you how much weight is placed on these docs.

I think you mean 2011; 2012 hasn't ended yet. I'm still filling out my taxes and I assume that the IRS Tax Return Transcript won't be ready till after I get my check. It may be 2 months from now, WAY later than when I should file my I 134 as the NOA2 is only valid for 4 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.