10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello,

I have a question about the I-134 form. I don't work therefore I don't file taxes and I can't show a tax return. I have no problem getting a co-sponsor (more than 1 if needed). So my questions is, if I can't provide a tax return but have an appropriate co-sponsor, will I encounter any probings in bringing my loved one to the United States?

Thank you!! All help is greatly appreciated!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If you don't have an income how can you support anyone?

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Hello,

I have a question about the I-134 form. I don't work therefore I don't file taxes and I can't show a tax return. I have no problem getting a co-sponsor (more than 1 if needed). So my questions is, if I can't provide a tax return but have an appropriate co-sponsor, will I encounter any probings in bringing my loved one to the United States?

you have to find out if the embassy accept co sponsor if they do you should not have any problems.

you can go to the embassy's web site and send them an email and ask them if co sponsor are accepted.

Edited by clarence954

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't have an income because I was a student and now I'm looking for a Job. (I have money of my own and supporting her financially is not a problem for me) I have read on the the US Consulate website that if I don't make %125 of the poverty line that I can have a co-sponsor. Maybe I should phrased my question differently. Even if I don't make an income, will I need to show a tax return that says I didn't make any money? Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I don't have an income because I was a student and now I'm looking for a Job. (I have money of my own and supporting her financially is not a problem for me) I have read on the the US Consulate website that if I don't make %125 of the poverty line that I can have a co-sponsor. Maybe I should phrased my question differently. Even if I don't make an income, will I need to show a tax return that says I didn't make any money? Thank you!

no you don't have to show a tax return if you use a sponsor, but you have to go to the individual countries site(not the us site, the embassy site of the country in question) and find out if the country accepts co sponors because some countries do not.

Edited by clarence954

As per the I-864 instructions (which is used later when adjusting status):

If you were required to file a Federal income tax return during any of the previous three tax years but did not do so, you must file any and all late returns with IRS and attach an IRS-generated tax return transcript documenting your late filing before submitting the I-864 Affidavit of Support. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law for any other reason, attach a written explanation including evidence of the exemption and how you are subject to it. Residence outside of the United States does not exempt U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents from filing a U.S. Federal income tax return. See "Filing Requirements" in the IRS Form 1040 Filing Instructions to determine whether you were required to file.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i have question hope you can help us guys. me and my boyfriend living together in the philippines for almost 4 years with our 3 y/o son he have no income tax to show for that time and now he wants to file a petition for me and live in the US since our son is living with him now in the US. he have online business selling stuff on craigslist and ebay he can show he have income now.he have friend and very much willing to be our co sponsor, is it okay to use the income tax 4 years before we met? any answer can help and appreciated. thank you guys have a great day and god bless !! waiting for your reply..thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello,

You can only have one co-sponsor with the I-134, so choose someone that can cover the 125% of the poverty level or more for their household size plus your fiancee.

If you were a student and did not have an income, then write a statement explaining that. State you were a student and had $0 income so you were not legally required to file taxes. Provide that along with your I-134. Your co-sponsor will fill out their own separate I-134 and provide their tax transcript for the most recent year, letter from employer stating position and salary, a few months worth of their most recent pay stubs, plus proof of being a USC or LPR.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.