Derek & Rita

cutting a baby's hair

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yea, mine has a nursing degree as well, with a specialization in immunology... and she still thinks a draft will make you ill...

Alla is a certified medical interpreter with many hours now of nursing education, still taking two classes of medical courses every semester, and she thinks ice cubes cause sore throats. :wacko:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

My opinion? Ignore it. It's all nonsense, but it's engrained into them, and they don't want to be wrong and will argue. It's not worth it.

I have long since given up. My wife has a nursing degree, and a high degree in Veterinary Medicine. But she is absolutely convinced (and simply won't be told otherwise) that a draft will make her ill. This is just my favorite in a long list of her old wives' tales...

:thumbs:

Listen to those of us that know. :whistle: Have you noticed a common thread in our advice? :whistle:

Does she sleep naked year 'round? :lol: It goes a LONG way toward mitigating all these little idiosyncracies.

No such thing as cold water. Everything must be room temp to drink." You can get a cold". I drew the line at beer.

And if I step on her foot, then she needs to step on mine or we will have bad luck.

:lol:

You see why we love RUB women!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Our wives being RUB women are full of "wives tales" but we do not have stupid arguments with them because that would be...stupid. My wife will not hand me anything through a doorway without putting her foot through the doorway first, do not ever demonstrate anything by pointing to any part of her body, do not sit on cold objects (ruins a woman's reproductive organs), drafts make you sick, do not give knives for gifts, do not give timepieces (watches) for gifts, cold drinks make you sick, shall I go on?

No, I do not argue about this.

Just say "Yes dear" and cut the baby's hair.

Some things I have come to accept as the charm of being married to a beautiful woman from Ukraine and I find the trade off quite comfortably tolerable.

Just like her russian accent, I hope she stays like this. I don't look forward to her becoming 'americanized'!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The reason to cut a baby's hair (a baby boy's, at least) is to keep him from looking like a girl, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

The thing about stepping on someone else's foot if they step on yours isn't about luck; it's so you won't get into an argument later.

Right! :thumbs:

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

the only thing that is good is my wife will not stop me from drinking cold. thank god. boiling hot tea when it is 100F outside :blink: well it is fun rub and cultures! i know all those and i think a few more. just cut the hair. but never the eye lashes if it is a girl! you will never here the end of that one!!! :innocent::whistle:

Summerville + Kryvyi Rih

age.png

age.png

Timeline

the only thing that is good is my wife will not stop me from drinking cold. thank god. boiling hot tea when it is 100F outside :blink: well it is fun rub and cultures! i know all those and i think a few more. just cut the hair. but never the eye lashes if it is a girl! you will never here the end of that one!!! :innocent::whistle:

Eyelashes are important for some reason. Alla always checks mine and says I have "good eyelashes". :wacko:

I am allowed to drink cold things because I have a "strong North American immune system from generations of people living in the forest" :blink: (My grandfather moved here from England in 1912, my father was born and raised in Lake Forest, IL...shhhhh. Maybe that counts as a "forest") I have been warned not to "poison" the boys with cold drinks, coca-cola and French fries & Gamboorgers. Too late. :lol: They both drink ICED Tea by the freaking gallons! Alla is sure they will die young now. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Eyelashes are important for some reason. Alla always checks mine and says I have "good eyelashes". :wacko:

I am allowed to drink cold things because I have a "strong North American immune system from generations of people living in the forest" :blink: (My grandfather moved here from England in 1912, my father was born and raised in Lake Forest, IL...shhhhh. Maybe that counts as a "forest") I have been warned not to "poison" the boys with cold drinks, coca-cola and French fries & Gamboorgers. Too late. :lol: They both drink ICED Tea by the freaking gallons! Alla is sure they will die young now. :lol:

Yea, cold things are bad... except icecream...

Oh, but you can't eat ice cream right out of the freezer. It has to be allowed to soften and warm before you should eat it. :rofl:

But we do love our RUB wives. :thumbs:

Timeline

Oh, but you can't eat ice cream right out of the freezer. It has to be allowed to soften and warm before you should eat it. :rofl:

But we do love our RUB wives. :thumbs:

Exactly! Warm ice cream. :lol:

Gary And Alla

I don't get why I have to tell her whether or not she is allowed to cut our daughter's hair.

Because you're the husband and you have the final say in everything that happens. (Or so you're told.... right before she goes ahead and does what she wants!)

she argues with me. My view is - if you wanted my opinion, and you got it, why are you arguing with me?

That's not a cultural thing - it's because she's a woman.

when a woman asks for your opinion, what she is really asking is for you to tell her what she wants to hear. prime example... "does my bum look big in this"?? :lol:

Somebody gets it.

OP: Three words of advice that have kept my marriage hitting on all cylinders: Choose your battles.

You are correct about hair not growing back in thicker. And you'll still be correct while sleeping on the couch. :)

Advice from a married dude.

Here's more - Buy a comfy couch!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.