Pompey Boy!

Baked Beans!

68 posts in this topic

I like both kinds of baked beans, but neither on toast. I think the first time I had the British-style baked beans was in Belfast. I liked them, but having them w/ breakfast stuff was a little weird. Of course, so was having a Guinness with breakfast, but I adjusted!

Fresh & Easy (locations in CA, NV, and AZ) sells the Heinz beans for a reasonable price.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I've actually taught myself to bake white bread as most of the bread here is full of sugar or the dreaded HFCS. Happy to share the recipe and easy as pie! (although i find pie pastry harder to make!)

9-1-90 Met future wife I was High School Exchange Student

12-1-10 Worked in FL and spent a week in VA and met old "friend"

2-13-11 Back to VA to spend time with "friend"

10-13-11 Back again to spend more time together

12-24-11 Proposed

12-31-11 Married

1-11-12 VWP expired, still waiting on certified marriage copy

1-14-12 Mailed AOS i-485,i-130 package to Chicago Drop Box

1-16-12 Confirmation of package receipt from USPS

1-20-12 Email and Text received from Chicago

1-21-12 Cheque cashed! (Didn't hang around with that one!)

1-24-12 I-797s received in mail *4 (in 4 envelopes (explain that logic!))

2-03-12 RFE received Tax return 2011

2-03-12 RFE received for income levels

2-09-12 RFE returned

2-13-12 Biometrics letter received

2-24-12 Biometrics appointment Norfolk, VA (in and out in under 5 minutes!)

3-13-12 Email notice that I-131 and I-765 (AP and EAD) approved and production under way

3-21-12 Combo card (AP and EAD)received in mail

4-08-12 Notice of AOS Interview May 9th at Norfolk, VA office

5-09-12 Interview at Norfolk, VA. Case recommended for approval

5-09-12 Email received confirming case has been approved!

5-17-12 2 year green card received via USPS

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

oh, I know how to make bread... lol when I do make it I use my bread machine to make the dough and then I pull it out and put it in a pan for the final rise and then bake it..

Wonder Bread and Sara Lee both make a no HFCS bread and that is what I usually buy..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I grew up with cold beans as part of a salad plate as well as hot beans for dinner. My Mom used to like it over toast but I never did so just had them straight.. The molasses pork and beans was our mainstay. Tomato soup here is far too sweet and doesn't taste properly tomato-ey. Campbell's tomato soup in the US is very different than Campbell's tomato soup in Canada (don't know about the UK). The last time my Dad visited I had him bring down several cans of tomato soup so my husband could taste the difference - he did, but he was used to the US tomato soup and preferred that.

I haven't found any 'consistent' sources of Canadian/UK brand stores here in Georgia, however, you can make the rounds - which is what I do - of Ingles, Big Lots, Whole Foods and even Dollar General, where you can get the Dare Maple Leaf cookies for a dollar, and you used to be able to get coffee crisps, although I haven't seen them lately. I am sure that there are such resources available, although I haven't really looked yet. Atlanta is pretty big so I'm sure that there must be something in the area.

Before they closed, the military commissaries at Fort MacPhearson and Fort Gillam also carried a lot of UK/Canadian products but since they closed I think Dobbins Air Force Base north of Atlanta is the closest commissary, if you have a military ID.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think that the main foods I will miss when I move to the US include:

Baked Beans

Heinz Tomato Soup

Custard Cream biscuits

Marmite (although Tesco's own is even better IMO)

Roast Dinners

:(

I offered to make my fiance a roast dinner on Christmas day. I asked him where I might find old potatoes for roasting (as opposed to the newer ones that don't roast as well) and he gave me this blank look. Yorkshire puddings weren't a part of his vocabulary either. :hehe:

There will definitely be culinary lesson in our household. Suffice to say that won't include lessons on How To Microwave A Ready Meal - he's already an A+ student in that. :unsure:

Edited by ukcharlotte

14/01/2012: Mailed off I-129F

20/01/2012: NOA1

19/06/2012: NOA2 (no RFEs)

26/07/2012: Medical

02/10/2012: Interview Date - approved!

25/10/2012: POE - Chicago O'Hare

24/01/2013: Applied for AOS/EAD/AP

19/03/2013: EAD/AP approved

21/03/2013: AOS interview scheduled for 24/04/2013

24/04/2013: Interview - Approved!

11/05/2013: Green Card received.

event.png

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Baked Beans

Heinz Tomato Soup

Custard Cream biscuits

Roast Dinners

I offered to make my fiance a roast dinner on Christmas day. I asked him where I might find old potatoes for roasting (as opposed to the newer ones that don't roast as well) and he gave me this blank look. Yorkshire puddings weren't a part of his vocabulary either. :hehe:

There will definitely be culinary lesson in our household. Suffice to say that won't include lessons on How To Microwave A Ready Meal - he's already an A+ student in that. :unsure:

'Nuff said

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Depending on where you'll live in the US, you will be able to find foodstuffs like Marmite in the grocery store. Fortunately for my fiancé, Portland has a fairly large British ex-pat community. Fred Meyer, which is owned by Kroger, has a British section in their stores here and carries Marmite. A local chain called New Seasons also stocks it regularly. I haven't checked, but you may also be able to find it at Whole Foods. I've acquired a taste for it, but he still will eat the lion's share of the jar once he's here. :D

And if you're in a place that doesn't have that kind of selection locally, there's always the Internet. Amazon.com carries a lot of grocery items now, including international fare. Just sign up for their Amazon Prime program and the shipping rates won't kill your bank account.

During his last visit over the Christmas/New Year's holidays, I surprised my honey by making a pot roast with Yorkshire puddings. I bought a pop-over pan as a Xmas gift to myself and studied the recipe as if I were cramming for a final exam. If he didn't already want to marry me, that sealed it! *pats self on back* :lol:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Here in MA, we also have British Delights in Westford and British Supplies in Plymouth. The store in Plymouth is small but has a LOT crammed into it. I've not yet been to the one in Westford but plan to stop by the weekend of the 24th. I'm at a conference up there and the hotel where I'm staying is 1.5 miles from the store. I'm so excited!!! Lots of the Boston area markets carry English food but where I am on the south coast of MA, it's mostly Portuguese and Spanish foods in the international section.

Food Ireland also has a decent selection of English foods. I learned that one from a local pub owner who sells Tayto cheese and onion crisps at the bar. I've learned how to make clotted cream (more for me than the fiance cause I fell in love with it over there), but King Arthur Flower sells it on their website.

Not all Americans are clueless with Yorkshire pudding :) Mom made it a lot with roasts when I was growing up. I thought Alan would freak at our Portuguese style roast, but he's now making them for everyone back home in the UK.

From an American perspective, I think it's weird that I had to introduce people to cream in coffee. Everywhere I went, people kept trying to give me milk and fake sweetener. I hate milk in coffee and sweeteners can put me in the hospital. Alan invested in a French press, some Dunkin Donuts coffee and I got single cream. My UK mornings were a lot happier after that :)

Thanks to this thread, I'm having him bring me Heinz beans and tomato soup. I always assumed they'd be similar to ours. Now I'm curious.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

I miss my British food. Yes,you can get them online here but it's limited.I'm getting kinda fed up USA food now lol. Beans are not the same here,nor chips(called fries here)and amongs other things,especially in the South the beans come in so many variety especially barbequed flavour.I am surprised I haven't flown back to the UK after eating them :no: and corn? jeez,mostly every type of food I see here is made with corn and more corn. When you come to live in USA,be warned..the breakfast is a joke lol.

Currently somewhere in USA now.

Baked Beans

Heinz Tomato Soup

Custard Cream biscuits

Roast Dinners

I have seen Heinz Tomato Soup and a few other Heinz products for sale at our local commisary (for a decent price), i dont know if thats because its an army post or they are avalible everywhere but i did manage to come across some! Which definatly made my day! lol

& my husband reacted exactly the same way when i cooked him Christmas Dinner last year lol! Ive been meaning to look up how to make my own Yorkshire puddings and getting him to try them. Its safe to say he was not a fan of my Christmas cooking though lol! Oh well.. more for me! :D haha!

February 2010: Met online via social networking site

1st July 2010: Met for the first time in Lake Charles, LA [11 days]

9th August 2010: Got Engaged!

September 2010: Met for the second time in Lake Charles, LA [2 weeks]

December 2010: Met for the third time in Lake Charles, LA [3 months]

18th February 2011: Got Married!

May 2011: Met for the fourth time in London, UK [2 weeks]

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

21st July 2011 - 14th December 2011

September 2012: Met for the fith time in Lake Charles, LA [3 months]

NVC

4th January 2012 - 23th January 2012

EMBASSY

25th January 2012 - 23rd March 2012

NEW LIFE IN THE USA

5th April 2012: POE: Houston, TX, USA!!

7th May 2012: Greencard arrived in mail

Remove the Conditions on Residence Petition

USCIS

April 1st - Present

1st April 2014: Filed I-751 (with divorce waiver)

4th April 2014: Received NOA (1 year extension)

April 20th 2014: Filed for divorce

12th May 2015: Received second biometric appointment letter due to rescheduling my first appointment

May 28th 2014: Biometrics taken in Louisville, KY

October 31 2014: Received RFE requesting final divorce judgment

22nd January 2015: Received final divorce judgment & submitted to VSC

25th January 2015: Called USCIS Military hotline to enquire on gaining an extension in order to enlist in United States Army & was advised to make infopass appointment at local office as processing will take longer than 6 months on my application.

Hi all fellow Brits. Just a quick find - I have been paying over $2 for Heinz beans in Kroger and recently tried their own brand 'Vegetarian Beans' $0.63 a tin. Taste like any tin of British supermarket baked beans! Happy days! Although my wife doesn't think me eating too many beans will make her happy!

Hey thanks for the tip! We spend $2.50 per can at Albertsons. My husband is the Brit, but I could live on beans and toast.

THE JOHN (UK) AND CAMIE (US) SHOW

K-1

[*]I-129F Sent : 2009-02-19 [*]I-129F NOA1: 2009-02-23 [*]I-129F NOA2: 2009-03-23 [*]John's Medical: 2009-05-11 [*]John's INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!: 2009-06-08 [*]VISA ARRIVES!!: 2009-06-12 [*]Camie Goes to England : 2009-06-18 [*]Our POE : 2009-06-24 [*]Got married and went to Jack-in-the-Box : 2009-07-07

AOS

[*]AOS Package Sent: 2010-02-13 [*]AOS Package Delivered (per USPS): 2010-02-15 [*]USCIS Email Confirmation (WOO HOO!!): 2010-02-23 [*]AOS Fee Check Cashed: 2010-02-23 [*]USCIS Status Check Available Online: 2010-02-24 [*]I-485 NOA1 Received and touch : 2010-02-26 [*]I-765 NOA1 Received and touch : 2010-02-26 [*]Biometrics: 2010-03-18 (letter received 2010-03-08) [*]EAD CARD RECEIVED: 2010-05-06 [*]INTERVIEW: 2010-05-21 - APPROVED [*]RECEIVED GREEN CARD: 2010-06-17 - Lakers FTW, then off to Disneyland to celebrate!

ROC

[*]I-751 Package Sent: 2012-05-18 [*]I-751 Package Delivered (per USPS): 2012-05-19 [*]CSC Fee Check Cashed: 2012-06-06
[*]I-751 NOA1: 2012-06-07 (dated 2012-05-21)
[*]Biometrics: 2012-07-16 (letter received 2012-06-25) [*]RFE: 2013-01-18 (responded on 2013-04-08)
[*]I-751 APPROVED: 2013-04-25 (dated 2013-04-19)

[*]10-Year GC Received: 2013-06-17

Christopher Midian Chance - 7lbs., 5oz., born 11-19-14 :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

That's kinda funny because I grew up on campbell's baked beans & tomato soup, and have eaten heinz beans & soup but don't notice much difference. Any brand vegetarian beans also taste the same to me. In the NY/NJ area, Stop N Shop supermarkets have a british section but not cheap. 40 bags of PG Tips is like $4.75! They have mushy peas, heinz beans, heinz soup, and hard to find Cadberry stuff like digestives & curly wurley's and a bunch of other stuff. I found a nice shepherd's pie gravy too..just played around with it adding my own seasonings. The yorkie puds have to be made from scratch...haven't seen aunt bessie's around here! I'm working on perfecting them before my husband gets here. He doesn't think it can be done by a Yank, but I will prove him wrong!! lol

Married Sept.3,2010

02/11/2011: I130 Sent

02/21/2011: NOA1

06/22/2011: NOA2

06/30/2011: NVC

07/05/2011: DS-3032 email received

07/05/2011: DS-3032 emailed

07/06/2011: AOS Bill received

07/06/2011: AOS Fee Paid

07/09/2011: I864 Sent

07/11/2011: IV Fee Bill received

08/30/2011: IV Fee Paid

09/30/2011: IV Pkg Sent

10/24/2011: RFE (we dragged our feet from here on)

(forget all this for now, let's go on holiday!)

03/13/2012: NVC CASE COMPLETE!!

04/05/2012: Received interview appt email

06/22/2012: Medical @ Knightsbridge

06/29/2012: Interview 8am-Result: Pending

??/??/????: I601 Filed at Lock-Box

That's kinda funny because I grew up on campbell's baked beans & tomato soup, and have eaten heinz beans & soup but don't notice much difference. Any brand vegetarian beans also taste the same to me. In the NY/NJ area, Stop N Shop supermarkets have a british section but not cheap. 40 bags of PG Tips is like $4.75! They have mushy peas, heinz beans, heinz soup, and hard to find Cadberry stuff like digestives & curly wurley's and a bunch of other stuff. I found a nice shepherd's pie gravy too..just played around with it adding my own seasonings. The yorkie puds have to be made from scratch...haven't seen aunt bessie's around here! I'm working on perfecting them before my husband gets here. He doesn't think it can be done by a Yank, but I will prove him wrong!! lol

You can do it! :thumbs:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.