esmatsgirl

Think Really Hard Before Marrying Someone from MENA

165 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Olivia, no one forced you to tell us about Waleed's flip flopping. You volunteered all of the information, in detail. If you're cool with him taking away your opportunity to be a mother that's all that counts. It's just that some of us here think its kinda shitty the way he pulled the bait and switch on you.

Oh thank goodness I wasn't the only one confused by that. Lol! She kept saying marriage and I was like since when do medical journals address marriage?

Then the risk would refer to the pregnancy, not the marriage, which is why I was confused.

Edited by Mithra

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

I feel totally left out, nurses always get the shaft I guess, because none of my nursing school lectures I attended or my textbooks talked about high risk mena/american marriages :'( it must be just for those special special drs.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My grandparents emigrated when my mother was 12, and whilst my mother never had any adjustment issues my grandparents always kept their traditions even though they lived for another 60 years.

I have been in the US for 7 years, and looking back it probably did take me a year to fully get used to things.

But there are certain tenets that will never change, you are what you are.

Probably a female thing to think that the man you marry is raw material to be moulded into what you want. That is just not the case.

My guess here is that the attractions of coming to the US do not include religous/beliefs/culture so those thing will not alter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I guess not every Female thinks that way, there are always exceptions to most rules.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

In this relationship there is something that I can't discuss publicly that none of you know about our situation. I've never discussed it with anyone from here before. Only my closest friend and my Mom know. This one thing has to do with this very topic and it removes any shadow of doubt about us. I will never reveal it and I don't have to prove it to anyone.

What I get out of this is a companion that loves me deeply. He needs my support right not to get a residency here. He's determined and self aware that not passing a Step to acheiving that could rock our marriage. A baby right now would complicate obtaining that goal and achieving financial stability and security for us. It's not the right time. Maybe in a year or two but not right now. We still have time. From the medical associations standpoint the facts of our relationship are defined already as a risky marriage and adding a baby only increases those risks. I've read this part about marraiges in his books he studies for the medical steps and any of you can too. Most of us in the MENA forum are considered a risky marriage which is why it makes sense that most of the marraiges do fail.

Our relationship is very real and there are percentages that state the possibility it may very well not work out for us one day. I can assure you as the person that has known him for nearly a decade and spent half of that married to him he's not feeding me a line, he's not using me, and there is no looming deadline like his residency or naturalization. In every relationship issues will come up and each couple will have to decide how to work on them.

I hate to be pedantic, but see above - the risk discussed was clearly in relation to the marriage, not advanced maternal age pregnancy. It's clear from above, as the addition of a baby is mentioned solely as adding risk to the marriage, not discussed in terms of the pregnancy itself and advanced maternal age being risky. So, I'm still confused. What medical associations/medical books are assigning risk levels to marriages, and at what marriages specifically are they looking, and assigning this risk level?

Edited by msheesha

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My grandparents emigrated when my mother was 12, and whilst my mother never had any adjustment issues my grandparents always kept their traditions even though they lived for another 60 years.

I have been in the US for 7 years, and looking back it probably did take me a year to fully get used to things.

But there are certain tenets that will never change, you are what you are.

Probably a female thing to think that the man you marry is raw material to be moulded into what you want. That is just not the case.

My guess here is that the attractions of coming to the US do not include religous/beliefs/culture so those thing will not alter.

I'm a woman also, and never wish my husband to change....why the heck would I have married him if I wanted to change who he was :blink: Just like we shouldn't generalize that you should only be wary of marrying MENA men (you should be wary marrying anyone), people shouldn't generalize that every woman is a femenazi who wishes to emasculate their husbands. :bonk:

Edited by tany1157

Never give up on anything God has told you to believe for; never quit doing anything He has clearly shown you to do. Your diligence will pay off with a blessing from God." -Joyce Meyers

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Interview in Casablanca January 2010

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Interview in Casablanca March 2011

-Results DENIED

-USCIS received May 10, 2011

-NOIR received January 30, 2012

-NOIR sent February 21, 2012

-NOIR received by USCIS February 22, 2012

-NOIR response February 28, 2012--REAFFIRMED!

-NVC received petition March 19, 2012

-Petition sent to Casa March 20, 2012

-Consulate called husband to set interview March 26, 2012

-Interview set for April 2, 2012 at 3pm!!

-Interview results--APPROVED!

-Civil documents in--April 5, 2012

-Consulate called April 6, 2012 to pick up visa following Monday

-IR1 received--April 9, 2012

-POE--May 9, 2012

-Applied SS card--May 23, 2012

-Received SS card--May 26, 2012

-Received Welcome Letter--May 29, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Received 10 year GC--June 4, 2012

-Applied for citizenship--February/March 2015

-Request for more proof/evidence--July 2015

-Approved--July 2015

-Citizenship Ceremony-- August 2015

NO MORE IMMIGRATION!!????

Thank you for sharing your story. That must have been so hard on you two. It is nice to hear that you two have made it through that tough patch, because that is a big deal to decide to not have children after you thought you would. Hubby and I decided we would not raise our kids under any religion name, but to raise them with a faith in God. He was adamant about them speaking arabic, which I agreed with. Sometimes I do wonder if when that child is actually here, he will change his mind and want to raise them strictly Muslim. I am not opposed to that, as I am "labeled" a Christian, but really, I am not into organized religion. I just hope my child will at least believe in God, but even then, I can't control what my children will decide when they are adults. In the end, I hope that our love and respect will continue to grow with anything that life throws at us. Just have to take it one day at a time.

The thing that is saddest to me about this whole thing, is that she didn't decide to not have children. If you look at her previous post, she said he announced to her, after they had previously agreed on having children, that they would not be having children. Not only is it really sad, but it's actually grounds for annulment.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes, she clearly was referring to marriage itself not advanced maternal age. Are these psychiatric journals? Are the authors experts in international/intercultural marriages? I would be interested in reading these journals if that is the case. But then, are these journals only available for certain med students? Maybe that's why none of us have ever heard of them? :)

I hate to be pedantic, but see above - the risk discussed was clearly in relation to the marriage, not advanced maternal age pregnancy. It's clear from above, as the addition of a baby is mentioned solely as adding risk to the marriage, not discussed in terms of the pregnancy itself and advanced maternal age being risky. So, I'm still confused. What medical associations/medical books are assigning risk levels to marriages, and at what marriages specifically are they looking, and assigning this risk level?

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

The thing that is saddest to me about this whole thing, is that she didn't decide to not have children. If you look at her previous post, she said he announced to her, after they had previously agreed on having children, that they would not be having children. Not only is it really sad, but it's actually grounds for annulment.

I respect, and see your point. My son's aunt has been married for about 20 years now. She has a 23 year old step daughter, but when she met her husband, they both said they wanted no more kids, until I had my son 7 years ago. I found out that having my son around made her change her mind, she wanted a child, but her husband wouldn't budge on the issue. The difference of this story is, they both said they didn't want kids from the beginning, but I am comparing this story because my ex-SIL had changed her mind, and had to compromise with her husband, and in the end, they decided against having kids. I remember telling my ex how bad I felt for her, wanting to have a child, but her husband didn't. I couldn't make that sacrifice. I dated someone before my husband, who had 2 kids, and was done. I always wanted another child, but he was adamant that "God says that I shouldn't have anymore." Needless to say, that relationship didn't last, but there were also many, many, many other issues, we just didn't belong together. My SIL and her husband are still together, and I don't see an end in sight for them. She is also very close to my son. These are tough choices.

I can't sit here and say for sure what is going on here, but I do know that they have been involved for a very long time, and nobody knows exactly what is going on but them. The women having an opinion here are more experienced than me when it comes to this topic, all I can say is what I know. My husband is turning 28 this year and he is dying to be a father. He lost his father about a year and a half ago, and ever since then, becoming a father has been more at the forefront than before. He always wanted kids, but now, he is ready, and so am I, as I am turning 31 this year. We didn't expect our journey to be so long, otherwise, we might have had a child by now.

I wish nothing but the best for Olivia. Yes, she came on here and told her personal story, which she is probably regretting now, but it's done. In the end, she will do what she feels is right with the knowledge that she has. (((HUGS))) to her (L)

Never give up on anything God has told you to believe for; never quit doing anything He has clearly shown you to do. Your diligence will pay off with a blessing from God." -Joyce Meyers

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Interview in Casablanca January 2010

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Interview in Casablanca March 2011

-Results DENIED

-USCIS received May 10, 2011

-NOIR received January 30, 2012

-NOIR sent February 21, 2012

-NOIR received by USCIS February 22, 2012

-NOIR response February 28, 2012--REAFFIRMED!

-NVC received petition March 19, 2012

-Petition sent to Casa March 20, 2012

-Consulate called husband to set interview March 26, 2012

-Interview set for April 2, 2012 at 3pm!!

-Interview results--APPROVED!

-Civil documents in--April 5, 2012

-Consulate called April 6, 2012 to pick up visa following Monday

-IR1 received--April 9, 2012

-POE--May 9, 2012

-Applied SS card--May 23, 2012

-Received SS card--May 26, 2012

-Received Welcome Letter--May 29, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Received 10 year GC--June 4, 2012

-Applied for citizenship--February/March 2015

-Request for more proof/evidence--July 2015

-Approved--July 2015

-Citizenship Ceremony-- August 2015

NO MORE IMMIGRATION!!????

I'm not shocked by any of the responses. Judging others relationships is par for the course on here. The fact remains most of our marriages are considered "high risk" according to the medical books. That's not pointing fingers. That's stating the facts. So before you go sharpening your claws to rip others to shreds please realize you don't have all the facts. There are things I know about my relationship that others don't. While I can appreciate the concern you only know what you know. I don't feel like I'm being taken for a ride or anything bad, ect. We've worked on our challenges and yes this was a big one. We've come to a mutual understanding between husband and wife. From my point of view it really doesn't matter what anybody else has to say about it. It isn't going to change the situation.

The facts we have are from you. The fact that you have provided is that you and your husband agreed as a couple that you would have children. Then HE decided and "announced" to you one day, that you would not be having children until you move to Egypt. But, you're not even considering moving to Egypt until you are past child-bearing years.

Try not to let your defense of him and your relationship blind you. At the end of the day, are you okay with not having children? And, if you are & you think he's worth not being a mother in the one shot at life you have, then that's obviously your choice. It just seems like too much for you to give up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.