Scafidi454

Happy Russian Fighter's Day!

73 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Look - My fiancee and I celebrate both American and Russian holidays. Russia has more holidays than us I believe, but it's up to us to celebrate the one's that we want. From my experience, this Defender's of the Motherland Day is the equivalent of our father's day. I also celebrate, to some extent, Russian Christmas and Women's Day.

I wouldn't expect her to celebrate some of the American holidays and not also be open to celebrating Russian holidays. We just celebrated Valentine's day (even though it's not popular in Russia), and we celebrate our anniversary (which is also not so popular in Russia (from what I'm told)). We celebrate American Christmas, the 4th of July, etc.

It's not simply celebrating Russian holidays, it's what certain holidays represent to Cold WAr Americans. As I said, you can't make something nice from evil. There's nothing cute about Soviet communism.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It's not simply celebrating Russian holidays, it's what certain holidays represent to Cold WAr Americans. As I said, you can't make something nice from evil. There's nothing cute about Soviet communism.

I understand you are bitter for whatever reasons. But you are not the only 'cold war veteran' on here. I was a major in the USAF. There are many of us and we don't all hold on to the degree of hatred and hostility that your posts suggest you do. The majority of Soviet-era Russians held no deep-seated animosity to Americans despite the position of their government. And they have repudiated that government now! The Soviet Union no longer exists. They no longer fly the old 'hammer and sickle'. Their flag now is the white/blue/red associated with pre communist Russia. Same colors as ours! We never directly fought the FSU. In the biggest war of the last century we were actually allies! Maybe it is time to let go of a little of the animosity.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I apologize if the original conceptualization of the holiday personally offend you or anyone else. I only intended for the post to be a celebration of the modern interpretation of the holiday, which many Russians only consider Men's day. My fiancee and I have discussed the possibility of me joining the military. Even though that's not possible at this time, she knows that by being my wife she'd be subject to any of the rules and laws of citizens. She also knows that the possibility exists that Russia and America could have a conflict, or that Russian citizens may be persecuted for war crimes. She has stated that she would support me in that case as well, even if it meant that she wouldn't be able to see her family for some time.

Of course, every conflict is different, and I wouldn't expect her to support me if my mission or actions were to commit any crimes of humanity against other people, especially not against her family. I don't think anyone would.

Again, I was not trying to idolize or glorify the conflict from which this holiday is based upon, and I ask that you only try to understand my real intentions with this post.

If this causes you any anguish, please feel free to ask an administrator to remove this entire thread; I would have no problem with that. However, you did fight for our freedoms, and for that I will not ask for this post to be removed b/c I had no offensive intentions.

Edited by Scafidi454

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I understand you are bitter for whatever reasons. But you are not the only 'cold war veteran' on here. I was a major in the USAF. There are many of us and we don't all hold on to the degree of hatred and hostility that your posts suggest you do. The majority of Soviet-era Russians held no deep-seated animosity to Americans despite the position of their government. And they have repudiated that government now! The Soviet Union no longer exists. They no longer fly the old 'hammer and sickle'. Their flag now is the white/blue/red associated with pre communist Russia. Same colors as ours! We never directly fought the FSU. In the biggest war of the last century we were actually allies! Maybe it is time to let go of a little of the animosity.

:thumbs:

True that. The Soviet PEOPLE had little time to worry about hating nor do I recall ever being told to hate Russian people. I do recall being told to feel sorry for them and that we were trying to "free" them. Meanwhile, Alla was playing hopscotch and reading Tolstoy and didn't care.

I do like it though when people express the opinion that the US economy cannot collapse under incompetent leadership and she says "Oh yeah? WE were the Soviet Union! YOU hid under your desk 10,000 km away because of us! And WE collapsed. Do not tell me it can't happen!"

As for holidays, the only children in this house only celebrated New Year's so that is what we continue to do and save 70% by ahopping AFTER Christmas. What would Jesus do?

Alla quickly adapted the celebration of Mother's Day, Valentines Day, Anniversaries and any other holiday that brings gifts and/or days off work and school. She has suggested adding Chinese holidays also

I have great respect for anyone that got shot at for their country and I admire the fact that in the FSU veterans of WW2 are still held in high regard everywhere they go. I think it is also a tribute to them that every school child knows the names Zhukov, Zeitsev, Kalashnikov, knows what a "Sturmovik" is and understands WHY there are T-34s parked on display and what it is. Ask an American school kid what that tank is in front of the VFW and he has no idea

My father was one of very few American soldiers in history (as a percentage of the whole)that actually met the soldiers of the Red Army on the battlefield...and was thrilled to see them!

And as enemies go they were damned good enemies! They made for great movies, you did not have to worry about offending the Russians, they didn't really attack us on our own soil, they didn't ** with the price of gasoline, they really didn't want to die as their were no virgins in it for them and I have yet to find a Russian that will strap bombs to themselves and blow themselves up in the market. Are you kidding me? :lol: Hell, I MISS them as enemies, when was the last time you saw a hot woman Iranian spy in a movie? Who gets all worked up over a steamy, sexy Pashtu accent? :hehe:

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

It is "Motherland" not "fatherland"

The official name of the holiday translates to fatherland. It comes from the same root as отец and отчество.

I also don't see why we wouldn't honor the sacrifices made by Soviets in WWII, despite the Cold War that followed. And let's not forget that arming Afghanis against the Soviets majorly screwed over the US in the end.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

The official name of the holiday translates to fatherland. It comes from the same root as отец and отчество.

I also don't see why we wouldn't honor the sacrifices made by Soviets in WWII, despite the Cold War that followed. And let's not forget that arming Afghanis against the Soviets majorly screwed over the US in the end.

That would VE Day. This holiday's originals dates to the dark days of the Bolsheviks. Veterans of the Army celebrate the Defender of the Fatherland Day--a holiday that marks the date in 1918 during the Russian Civil War when the first mass draft into the Red Army occurred in Petrograd and Moscow.

Timeline

I'm not going to attempt a self analysis of my bitterness, but I am an American patriotic. I took a Soviet AK-47 round through my leg which left me permanently disabled. I'm proud of my service and would do it again. The Russians supplied that weapon and fueled the North Vietnam war machine. So I "feel" the fruit of the Cold War quite deeply.

I think most of this ####### about honoring Soviet soldiers is silly and misguided...but it's their business. But if they choose to go on this forum and brag about it or hold up a Russian holiday as worthy of praise or honoring, I'm going to speak my truth. The best description of the Soviet Union has always been Evil Empire. And there is the very evocative term "Iron Curtain" to describe this empire. The Red Army has enforced labor camps and performed atrocities. They killed the Czar and his whole innocent family. Lowly dogs are better.

The Russian people of the time were brainwashed from childhood to hate the USA. They were good at it. If you want to rewrite history, go ahead but it's bull. The opening to America slowly began under Brezhnev and continued under Gorbachev.

Overall, I have no issues with the Russian people but I will never honor the Red Army. The only reason they entered WWII was because Hitler broke the pact with Stalin and attacked Russia. If not for our help they may have failed in their defense. It's a tough call to say who was ultimately worse, Hitler or Stalin? Certainly Stalin wins in body count.

The new Russian Federation is different than the SU but no greater friend to the US. Putin constantly votes against the US in the UN and is a dictator and makes trouble and is uncooperative...Stalin in a business suit. He has probably had killed a number of people and is still a KGB monster.

Finally, thank you for your service, major.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What about people in the US who celebrate the Fourth of July who're married to UK citizens? Does that bring any problems up for them? Would you be willing to give up the 4th for their animosity?

Timeline

Be angry at your US government for their terrible containment policy. How many people were "disappeared" at the hands of US-backed dictators in Latin America? Neither side comes out looking very good.

Apples and oranges. Shall we talk about Cuba?

Edited by visaveteran1

Timeline

What about people in the US who celebrate the Fourth of July who're married to UK citizens? Does that bring any problems up for them? Would you be willing to give up the 4th for their animosity?

I don't know about you, but I'm still pizzed at Caesar for what he did in Europe.

Filed: Timeline

Would love to talk about Cuba and how the US isolates them because they're a Communist regime, yet bends over backwards to support China.

Anyone who thinks the US is somehow the "good guys" is fooling themselves. Stalin may have had a higher direct body count, but when it comes to destroying entire nations, nobody holds a candle to the good 'ol US of A.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

How is it apples and oranges? Point is, neither side comes off well when the Cold War is examined from a non-biased perspective. I'm not saying the Soviet Union's hands were clean; I am simply saying that the United States certainly is not without its own sin.

And I am kind of confused about how you ended up with a Russian in the first place if you can't even stomach the thought of a holiday like Defenders of the Fatherland Day.

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.