Kish.2328

K1 visa process all the same regardless of country. True or not?

6 posts in this topic

Hi! I wanted to help a friend file his petition for his fiancee who live in Indonesia. Is the process all the same regardless of country? Or are there some exceptions specifically Indonesia? I am quiete familiar on how it goes in the Philippines since I have done it myself. If the process is the same as mine - I think it will be a big help to my friend. :)

K1 Timeline

02-28-11 I-29F SENT

06-01-11 PETITION APPROVED

07-15-11 VISA APPROVED

AOS Timeline

03-02-12 I-485 SENT

05-22-12 INTERVIEW APPROVED

ROC Timeline

04-18-14 I-751 SENT

07-29-14 APPROVED

Naturalization Timeline

06-29-16 N400 SENT

08-02-16 BIOMETRICS

10-12-16 INTERVIEW

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi! I wanted to help a friend file his petition for his fiancee who live in Indonesia. Is the process all the same regardless of country? Or are there some exceptions specifically Indonesia? I am quiete familiar on how it goes in the Philippines since I have done it myself. If the process is the same as mine - I think it will be a big help to my friend. :)

Actually, the Philippines is an exception. The process is more or less the same in most other countries, but most other countries don't have the same exit processing requirements. For example, the CFO seminar is something that's particularly unique to the Philippines. A medical exam is required in every country. The process for scheduling an interview varies from one country to another.

The odds of approval vary dramatically from one country to another.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Actually, the Philippines is an exception. The process is more or less the same in most other countries, but most other countries don't have the same exit processing requirements. For example, the CFO seminar is something that's particularly unique to the Philippines. A medical exam is required in every country. The process for scheduling an interview varies from one country to another.

Great! So I guess I can be a good help to a friend. Yeah - that CFO seminar is another thing in the Philippines - it kinda made me feel they are just doing it to get money out of it but its fine, some of the information they have given was kinda helpful to say the least. So does that means, in Indonesia, once the I-29f is approved, next step is the medical exam to one of the accredited physicians and then the interview and if visa is approved, thats pretty much it? :) no government seminar just like CFO in the Philippines?

K1 Timeline

02-28-11 I-29F SENT

06-01-11 PETITION APPROVED

07-15-11 VISA APPROVED

AOS Timeline

03-02-12 I-485 SENT

05-22-12 INTERVIEW APPROVED

ROC Timeline

04-18-14 I-751 SENT

07-29-14 APPROVED

Naturalization Timeline

06-29-16 N400 SENT

08-02-16 BIOMETRICS

10-12-16 INTERVIEW

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The petition process is the same. The visa process at the consulate is unique to each consulate. It varies from very easy to extremely difficult.

Perhas a better way to present it. The process is more or less the same, the results differ greatly.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

Really? DoS stats for last year had a 99.2% approval rate for K-1s (IIRC, it was 96% without issue, and 3.2% on appeal). With about 33,000 K-1s worldwide, unless you have a small minority of countries accounting for the majority of rejections, I have to think everyone has a similar approval rate, as it is so high.

Here's the link - the report is an aggregate and I could not find a breakdown by country:

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/FY2010NIVWorkloadbyVisaCategory.pdf

Edited by Rufus2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Really?
Yes.
the report is an aggregate
Aggregated statistics mean little, and face-to-face visa interviews mean everything.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.