LuckySeven

Both of us are abroad... Advice please

41 posts in this topic

Hi, im so glad i found this forum... I was planning to file my K1 for my fiancee but was given contradictory information from friends...

First, I am a US citizen and studied abroad in the Philippines and have been with my fiancee since our Junior year in college. Will I be able to file the K1 visa while I am residing here in the Philippines? Will the US embassy entertain my request or do I have to physically be in the US to file this? Worst case scenario, I get an RFE.... Will the US embassy send the package back here to the Philippipines?

Please do advise, Id like to do this right the first time. tHanks so much

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi, im so glad i found this forum... I was planning to file my K1 for my fiancee but was given contradictory information from friends...

First, I am a US citizen and studied abroad in the Philippines and have been with my fiancee since our Junior year in college. Will I be able to file the K1 visa while I am residing here in the Philippines? Will the US embassy entertain my request or do I have to physically be in the US to file this? Worst case scenario, I get an RFE.... Will the US embassy send the package back here to the Philippipines?

Please do advise, Id like to do this right the first time. tHanks so much

Two things. You need a US address but that could be a parent, relative or friend. Second, you need to have a job with income that will continue in the USA, in order to sponsor your fiancee. Manila usually will not accept a cosponsor for a K1 visa. That means you need to get a job in the USA.

An alternative would be to marry in the PI and go through a spouse visa process. For that, you can use a joint sponsor.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Two things. You need a US address but that could be a parent, relative or friend. Second, you need to have a job with income that will continue in the USA, in order to sponsor your fiancee. Manila usually will not accept a cosponsor for a K1 visa. That means you need to get a job in the USA.

An alternative would be to marry in the PI and go through a spouse visa process. For that, you can use a joint sponsor.

Thanks for the reply...

Say I took the chance, has there ever been success with this type of case? If my company is an international company, would they have to write a letter saying I will relocate and remIn an employee?

Timeline

Thanks for the reply...

Say I took the chance, has there ever been success with this type of case? If my company is an international company, would they have to write a letter saying I will relocate and remIn an employee?

If you are already working and would transfer to the USA to continue the job, yes that would work just fine. Just an employer letter stating that will do.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

One more question... Would My application remain pending if I was denied on the basis of financial support? If i relocated, could I continue the application process or would it start over? Thanks

Timeline

One more question... Would My application remain pending if I was denied on the basis of financial support? If i relocated, could I continue the application process or would it start over? Thanks

Bad idea. I-129F petition approvals are good for four months. You MIGHT have a chance to get a new job in the USA without starting over but the better option is to deal with the financial sponsorship issue before deciding which path to take. A K1 visa requires a commitment to marry in the USA within 90 days of arrival. If you're ready to commit to that, why not just marry and have the option of using a joint sponsor?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Bad idea. I-129F petition approvals are good for four months. You MIGHT have a chance to get a new job in the USA without starting over but the better option is to deal with the financial sponsorship issue before deciding which path to take. A K1 visa requires a commitment to marry in the USA within 90 days of arrival. If you're ready to commit to that, why not just marry and have the option of using a joint sponsor?

I heard the processing times for spouse visas take longer to process... I want to take her back home as soon as possible... And dont want to be apart for 6 months or more....Would my recent licensure as a registered nurse + a cosponsor suffice?

Timeline

I heard the processing times for spouse visas take longer to process... I want to take her back home as soon as possible... And dont want to be apart for 6 months or more....Would my recent licensure as a registered nurse + a cosponsor suffice?

Maybe but probably not. Do you want to wait 7 or 8 months to find out? An efficiently managed spouse visa process takes only a few weeks longer than a K1 process. If you are married, filing from abroad, the process is actually faster than the K1 process.

Separation is usually part of the process with six months being on the short side. We all either were or are in the same boat.

Check out the Direct Consular Filing Guide. DCF is available in Manila.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Maybe but probably not. Do you want to wait 7 or 8 months to find out? An efficiently managed spouse visa process takes only a few weeks longer than a K1 process. If you are married, filing from abroad, the process is actually faster than the K1 process.

Separation is usually part of the process with six months being on the short side. We all either were or are in the same boat.

Check out the Direct Consular Filing Guide. DCF is available in Manila.

Is there a slight chance that a cosponsorship would be approved for the K1? I would like my family and her grandmother to be present at our wedding so I dont want to do it here. Based on your expertise on the topic, could you possibly give me a ballpark percentage of it happening? Also, what if i had a job guarantee when I gonback to the states from a hospital to supplement the k134?

Timeline

Is there a slight chance that a cosponsorship would be approved for the K1? I would like my family and her grandmother to be present at our wedding so I dont want to do it here. Based on your expertise on the topic, could you possibly give me a ballpark percentage of it happening? Also, what if i had a job guarantee when I gonback to the states from a hospital to supplement the k134?

For recent graduates with good prospects, I'd say acceptance of a well qualified parent as a cosponsor is 60/40 in your favor. Why can't your family and her grandmother come to a wedding in the PI?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

For recent graduates with good prospects, I'd say acceptance of a well qualified parent as a cosponsor is 60/40 in your favor. Why can't your family and her grandmother come to a wedding in the PI?

her grandmother is not fit to fly... She wasnt granted a letter from her doctor that says she is in good enough health to sustain a long flight. She is a canadian citizen, but will drive with her family to our wedding. My parents would be fine though, but her grandmother is our concern.

Timeline

her grandmother is not fit to fly... She wasnt granted a letter from her doctor that says she is in good enough health to sustain a long flight. She is a canadian citizen, but will drive with her family to our wedding. My parents would be fine though, but her grandmother is our concern.

My opinion is that a successful visa process should be concern #1. K1 for you, is risky unless you're willing to leave your bride behind and get a job in the USA.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

My opinion is that a successful visa process should be concern #1. K1 for you, is risky unless you're willing to leave your bride behind and get a job in the USA.

Thanks again for the advice... Ill also seek the help of my current employer to continue that job in the US. Hope this all works out, ill update on my timeline once i finalize this package to be sent asap. Thank you for your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks again for the advice... Ill also seek the help of my current employer to continue that job in the US. Hope this all works out, ill update on my timeline once i finalize this package to be sent asap. Thank you for your help.

Don't forget, if you do K1, she cannot leave the country (ie cannot re-enter the country) for quite a period of time, maybe 1-2 years.... at least without special permission for good cause. If she goes without permission, it is re-file to get her back. or something like that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.