crea78

Possible Red Flag

81 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Since the interview for my fiancee will be coming up within 2 months time, I am starting to wonder if she will pass the interview with very little verbal English communication. She doesn't have anyone in her hometown (except a 15 year old) down the street she can communicate with + when I try to talk to her on the phone, she gets very frustrated and talks so low I can barely understand what she is trying to say. I know English is a difficult language to learn for a foreigner, and with all the bills I've had recently, it has been hard sending her to a better school to improve her verbal skills.

We do communicate via email, texts, and online chat (she has very good writing skills) but will her not knowing much English at all signal a Red Flag and cause her to be rejected at the interview process? I have all the evidence she needs (money orders, photos, texts, online chats, etc) and she has a list of interview questions to study before she goes in, but all of that means nothing if the CO feels she isn't prepared to move to the USA. I like to know what everyone's take is on this and what are the possible outcomes for our situation when it does come time for the interview process.

Adjustment of Status Journey

July 05, 2012: Sent package off to Chicago

July 13, 2012: NOA received via email & text

July 16, 2012: Checked cashed

July 19, 2012: Received hard copy Form I-797C in the mail

July 21, 2012: Biometrics letter arrived by mail

July 31, 2012: AOS trransferred to CSC

Aug. 07, 2012: Biometrics completed

Do not worry too much how she will communicate at the Consulate. They will provide VNese interpreter at the interview. Many with lack of English skills had passed. You should rather concern about how to convince them how she is communicating with you when you guys are together and far apart...that IMO is more signigicant.

Timeline

OK thanks, but is it true I am not allowed to be in the same room as her when she is taking the interview, and rather stay outside? Also, will I have a chance to talk with the CO before my fiancee has the interview? We will definitely convince the Consulate Officer we belong together by showing them photos, how we feel about each other, etc. Maybe I am over-reacting but I just know how hard HCMC can be during the most important step up until now.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You are now allowed to accompany her into the waiting room and if there they may question you. The issue you may have is if the CO asks how you communicate with her.. Then the CO may try to talk to her in english to test her ability to communicate English or talk to you in VN to see if you understand.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

I have been trying to learn a little VN, but it is difficult!! That's nice to know I can accompany her into the waiting room. Hopefully everything will go well and I have faith in her that she will pass. This makes me feel alot better knowing she doesn't need to know alot of English verbal skills in order to get her Visa.

Timeline

The drawback is, that the CO can say one thing and the translator something different.. If she knows both the english question and the translation she can prevent an issue... sometimes the translators throw curves that screw interviews... The translators often act like they are a godlike entity with power over others.... if they don't like something about you, they can really do some damage...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just like the others have said, the CO will probably have a Vietnamese translator to translate the questions for your fiance. Don't worry about the language too much. Thu speaks broken English and her interview was done in Vietnamese. Our case as well as other cases were judged because of the circumstances around which we met not because our girls spoke limited English. I totally understand how this would make you feel worried. If you really want to help her learn English, you can look into getting her Rosetta Stone for a couple hundred dollars.

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Timeline

rosetta stone only costs about 2 bucks in VN... :whistle:

Timeline

I do have Rosetta Stone Vietnamese for myself, but have found it to be hard to use for some reason. I have been using L-lingo Android app on my phone and have been very pleased with it. I will look to get RS for English in VN and see how much it will cost me.

Edited by crea78

Timeline

rosetta stone only costs about 2 bucks in VN... :whistle:

There you go. Even better. OP, spend the $2 and get the Rosetta Stone in VN. Not much you have to lose in this case...

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Since the interview for my fiancee will be coming up within 2 months time, I am starting to wonder if she will pass the interview with very little verbal English communication. She doesn't have anyone in her hometown (except a 15 year old) down the street she can communicate with + when I try to talk to her on the phone, she gets very frustrated and talks so low I can barely understand what she is trying to say. I know English is a difficult language to learn for a foreigner, and with all the bills I've had recently, it has been hard sending her to a better school to improve her verbal skills.

We do communicate via email, texts, and online chat (she has very good writing skills) but will her not knowing much English at all signal a Red Flag and cause her to be rejected at the interview process? I have all the evidence she needs (money orders, photos, texts, online chats, etc) and she has a list of interview questions to study before she goes in, but all of that means nothing if the CO feels she isn't prepared to move to the USA. I like to know what everyone's take is on this and what are the possible outcomes for our situation when it does come time for the interview process.

Don't worry my fiancee's English was terrible, her Vietnamese wasn't that strong either, they conducted the interview in English and Vietnamese. I hired a tutor for over a year and even had hel[p from a fellow VJer living in Saigon. Pm if you want to talk, I fill you in on the interview.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Filed: Timeline

My wife's English was very limited, certainly could not be interviewed in English. I went with her to the interview. She was only asked 3 basic questions in vietnamese. And she got a pink.

Of course, she should know as much English as possible, but just not knowing English alone does not mean that she would be denied.

Edited by Dan_P

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You will be standing right next to her at the interview window. My fiancée speaks English well but chose to interview in Vietnamese to eliminate some of the nervous energy. You will be able to hold her hand for moral support, chit chat to the CO and interpreter etc. You're just not allowed to answer the questions for her.

Timeline

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!! It's great having a forum such as this one to get first-hand experience from ppl who have already been in this position :D

Timeline

Hang in there Buddy... Your doing the right thing.. The Visa Journey is overwhelming at times. just keep asking questions on this web site... this resource is so valuable. My wife used a website similar to this one when she was in VN that was kind of like a support group, I can get you the info if you contact me.

My wife has been with me in California for a little over 2 years... We have an amazing life. We have navigated through so many obsitcals in VN and USA... But we up for the challange and it has made us stronger.

c3ui55avqx8o20jy.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.