vacrimefighter

Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) Manila

26 posts in this topic

Well you asked if you need an appointment or show up... so I answered :blush:

Thank you!

Are you the Pinoy or are you her husband?

Would you/she know if the process is different for just passport renewal purposes? :blush:

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Husband.

You don't go to CFO for passport renewal or when just visiting other countries.

I am confused.

Found this on the DFA's website:

If you would like to use the surname of your spouse:

Marriage Contract (MC) in Security Paper issued by NSO and Certified True Copy issued by the Local Civil Registrar if MC secpa is unreadable.

Certificate of Attendance from CFO (Commission of Filipino Overseas) if married to a foreigner (color green)

There special instances when there is no record of the marriage with NSO but supporting documents are under the married name.

Prepare a Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) from the NSO in SECPA and Affidavit of Explanation.

If it was determined by the NSO that you have a marriage record (negative CENOMAR result), you can use the surname of your spouse.

Otherwise, (positive CENOMAR result), you can NOT use the surname of your spouse

But I'm not migrating to my husband's country yet.

This CFO thing is confusing. Will email them now and get back to this thread for their answer.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am confused.

Found this on the DFA's website:

But I'm not migrating to my husband's country yet.

This CFO thing is confusing. Will email them now and get back to this thread for their answer.

Yes I see mention of CFO sticker for assuming your foreigner husband's name. I think they are doing a little "assuming" and assumed you got married in another country (just my guess) so that is why they want to see the CFO sticker. Like said just my opinion.

Did you get married in the Philippines?

Curious what they say regarding that.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Yes I see mention of CFO sticker for assuming your foreigner husband's name. I think they are doing a little "assuming" and assumed you got married in another country (just my guess) so that is why they want to see the CFO sticker. Like said just my opinion.

Did you get married in the Philippines?

Curious what they say regarding that.

I am getting married in Manila before this month ends. Yey! :blush:

Then, will be moving to where he's currently living (non-US country).

Already emailed CFO. Hope I get a good reply. :)

Audre Lorde

Timeline

I am getting married in Manila before this month ends. Yey! :blush:

Then, will be moving to where he's currently living (non-US country).

Already emailed CFO. Hope I get a good reply. :)

Yet you are applying for a visa to enter the USA? Wouldn't you need a visa for the country where he is living? Is he military?

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Yet you are applying for a visa to enter the USA? Wouldn't you need a visa for the country where he is living? Is he military?

We will be applying for a CR-1 visa as soon as we're married. I know you know these things take a while and we should do good research... that is why I'm on VJ. :)

And yes, he is in the military.

Edited by ivyanddan

Audre Lorde

Timeline

Ah that explains things bunch. So he will have to do the petition to USCIS after you are married, then once approved you can do the visa... yup that all takes time for sure. Yes, eventually you will need to do CFO...

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Ah that explains things bunch. So he will have to do the petition to USCIS after you are married, then once approved you can do the visa... yup that all takes time for sure. Yes, eventually you will need to do CFO...

I'm assuming I won't need CFO anymore when I'm not living in Manila. Hmm... we will see.

Thanks for the opinions! :star:

Audre Lorde

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since everyone has a different experience in the K-1/K-2 VISA process, I thought I would share our experience with the process.

The best case scenario for a person of moderate intelligence and initiative is having your time and money wasted, but smiling and joking with you while they are doing it. Can you imagine if you started interviewing THEM? Tell me about your marriage, how you met, do you go to church, do you fight, does your husband drink, smoke, or gamble, blah blah blah. They'd think you were insane.

Almost nobody but me respected my wife as an adult through this whole immigration process. All along the way were people protecting the poor ignorant child from her husband. There are some "happy faces", sure - they are the ones with the power over us peons so it is easy for the King to be in a jovial mood. So long as you show ignorance, gratitude, and abject obedience - you'll make it through. But if you demonstrate offense to being treated like an ignorant child - now you are in trouble.

Burn this into your mind: they think you are an ignorant child, so you have to act like one to get through this easily. Act like a fully-informed adult with initiative and concern for having your time & money wasted - and you will be punished.

Timeline

I'm assuming I won't need CFO anymore when I'm not living in Manila. Hmm... we will see.

Thanks for the opinions! :star:

You will need the CFO seminar to leave the Philippines, after that nope won't need it.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.