Dave-n-Oksana

Transit Visa in Amsterdam?

13 posts in this topic

In planning the future flight for my MIL from Kiev, one of the flights has a layover in Amsterdam. I was wondering if she will need a transit visa if she is not leaving the Internationl Terminal?

TIA,

Dave

Unless she is leaving the terminal, it should not be a problem. Just make sure anything she plans on bringing with her is packed properly before she leaves Ukraine. I lost several cans of caviar in Amsterdam because they let me take them as a carry on in Borispol but I didn't get through the check-in in Amsterdam. Most of the cans needed a can opener so I'm sure some worker at the airport enjoyed some nice caviar. It's all about, "Is it packed in liquid?" I mean really, is any caviar not packed in liquid. If so, it must be powered caviar. :angry:

No you don't need visa in Amsterdam or any other connecting city within Europe as you are just a transit passanger and never leave the terminal.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

No you don't need visa in Amsterdam or any other connecting city within Europe as you are just a transit passanger and never leave the terminal.

Do NOT try to make a connection in Copenhagen with only a Russian (? also Ukrainian) passport unless you also have the Schengen visa. You will not be allowed to transit through Copenhagen even if you don't plan on leaving the terminal. My BIL and his wife had to re-book their return flights on SAS because they were refused connecting in Copenhagen.

Do NOT try to make a connection in Copenhagen with only a Russian (? also Ukrainian) passport unless you also have the Schengen visa. You will not be allowed to transit through Copenhagen even if you don't plan on leaving the terminal. My BIL and his wife had to re-book their return flights on SAS because they were refused connecting in Copenhagen.

Thanks for the heads-up on Copenhagen. And to everyone else who answered my question.

My wife is excited about the prospect of bringing her mother into Minneapolis instead of JFK so we will be making the connection through Amsterdam. Now that that is decided, we just need to get the B2.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks for the heads-up on Copenhagen.

It's not that they don't like Russians, they don't like mothers-in-law! :thumbs:

Who can blame them? Inviting the MIL is like inviting Stalin to visit. :yes:

IMHO.

Edited by visaveteran1

It's not that they don't like Russians, they don't like mothers-in-law! :thumbs:

Who can blame them? Inviting the MIL is like inviting Stalin to visit. :yes:

IMHO.

:lol:

It's a good thing that she doesn't speak english then. I can just smile and nod my head like an idiot.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It's all about, "Is it packed in liquid?" I mean really, is any caviar not packed in liquid. If so, it must be powered caviar. :angry:

You're thinking about bottarga. My ex wife from Sardinia brought some along as well as some sausages and stuff, she was treated like a terrorist at the airport, they went through her bags, made her throw away all the meats and bottarga. Well, they found most of the bottarga, but they didn't get it all!

I have never heard that, and thought that transit through any airport was ok without a visa. The only problem I have ever read about is transit in a country that requires moving from one airport to another in the country of transit.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I have never heard that, and thought that transit through any airport was ok without a visa. The only problem I have ever read about is transit in a country that requires moving from one airport to another in the country of transit.

It certainly took all of us by surprise! We had assumed the same. Is it something about the layout/security in Copenhagen?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In planning the future flight for my MIL from Kiev, one of the flights has a layover in Amsterdam. I was wondering if she will need a transit visa if she is not leaving the Internationl Terminal?

TIA,

Dave

No, we have been through Amsterdam several times, stay in the terminal and no problem

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It certainly took all of us by surprise! We had assumed the same. Is it something about the layout/security in Copenhagen?

Did you confirm that was the case James and not an error on the airlines part?

FYI if changing airports in the UK AND you have a US Green Card AND a ticket booked through to another country, you do not need a visa to change airports or stay up to 24 hours.

This would not apply to your MIL but to your wife. We got some super prices requiring an airport change in London the summer before last (Heathrow to Gatwick) and had no problem to go between the airports by bus.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Did you confirm that was the case James and not an error on the airlines part?

FYI if changing airports in the UK AND you have a US Green Card AND a ticket booked through to another country, you do not need a visa to change airports or stay up to 24 hours.

This would not apply to your MIL but to your wife. We got some super prices requiring an airport change in London the summer before last (Heathrow to Gatwick) and had no problem to go between the airports by bus.

No, I am still wondering about the whole deal! I was hoping to find out more here from others that may have had similar experiences. And thanks for the info about transiting in the UK, it may come in handy in the future.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.