notmuch88tosay

My Fiancee Is Losing It

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

After the Immigration Attorney I am using put fear in our minds, from the beginning, my Fiancee is losing it and saying crazy things now.

Our marriage could fall apart because she is paralized with fear at this time.

My Fiancee keeps making up excuses to avoid the interview. She is testing my patience.

The Immigration Attorney I am using told us that there is an "English Test" that my Fiancee must take and pass. I later found out on this forum that this was bogus.

But now my Fiancee is convinced that she must pass this bogus "English Test". What foreigner can learn English and pass a test on it in one year?

My Fiancee has also been conditioned to believe that getting an American Visa is the most difficult thing in the world.

Her fears are sabotaging all my efforts made to this day.

Anyone know how I can convince her that there is no English test required and that many women from China pass the interview without any problems each year?

Any statistics about this?

notmuch88tosay

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to China regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Thanks for the reply, Ron & Diana,

Maybe she does, but then again, maybe it is the stories they tell her that has her terrified. I don't know.

People don't always have the best of intentions, when it comes to you having more happiness, more success, a spouse, etc. Especially if they don't have any of that.

Take care,

notmuch88tosay

I understand that, (jealousy)...but I mean Chinese that have already been in the process or done interview? I know of several members on here that are from China, surely they can help.

Timeline

Thanks Ron & Diana,

I appreciate your encouragement.

After I lift myself out of my depression, maybe I can chat with some of them. I do like the Chinese people I met in China very much. They were kind and helpful.

Where would I find them here, what would I ask them, how would I get their help regarding my situation?

notmuch88tosay

Well I mean I am going by the flags we have by our names..I've seen Chinese ones on here....in the regional discussions there are lots of Chinese Nationals...I'd just tell them what you have shared. I think maybe a moderator has already transferred your thread to the Chinese Regional forum...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/94-china/

Edited by Ron & Diana

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

They have consular officers proficient in the native language. My wife's interviewer was so proficient with Mandarin that she jokingly ask the VO to teach me Chinese.

Anyway, if you still have concerns, you can query the Guangzhou staff directly: Ask a Consular Officer

You can let your fiancee know what their reply to you was. Really, nothing to worry about.

GOOD LUCK!

Note:  I am the U.S. citizen sponsor.  All info below applies to my immigrant wife.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I-130 (CR1)

April 13, 2011: Married in China.
February 2, 2012: Interview 09:30 a.m. APPROVED!!!
March 2, 2012: POE JFK
March 17, 2012: Received SSN card.
April 5, 2012: 2-yr Green Card in hand

I-751 (ROC)

December 15, 2013: I-751 mailed to USCIS

June 9, 2014: ROC Approved per I-797C received 6-13-2014

June 17, 2014: New 10-yr Green Card in hand!

N-400
March 29, 2017:  N-400 mailed to USCIS
March 31, 2017: N-400 Received by USCIS per I-797C
April 27, 2017:  Biometrics completed
September 23, 2017:  Received I-797C for interview!

October 24, 2017:  Interview, passed all tests but "decision cannot yet be made"

October 30, 2017:  Received email that Oath ceremony has been scheduled, letter to follow with date and other info. 

USCIS case status updated w/same message as email.

November 2, 2017:  Oath ceremony letter received scheduled for Nov. 7, 2017.

November 7, 2017:  Oath Ceremony, Certificate of U.S. Naturalization in hand!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Maybe your lawyer is not very good or maybe she is confused. Do you speak her languaje?

First you have to apply for the k1 Visa

she does not need to know english to do this, if required she can have a translator in her interview.

After that she can travel here and get married,

After married you will process an Adjustment Of Status there will be an interview,

she does not need to know english she can use a translator.

2 years after receive residence card she will process Removal Of Conditions, there is a very small chance to have another interview,

still she does not need to speak english she can use a translator.

one more year (3 after she gets her first Residence card ) she can (if she wants) apply for Naturalization,

there will be an interview and that is when she needs to know English.

When I had my interview my english exam was to write "Today I will go to the store"

So she has at least 3 years to learn english and only if she wants to be a citizen.

Read more on this forum... you may even find that you do not need a lawyer but that depends on all the aspects of your case.

K

Meet 12/2000; Married 01/2004; AOS 01/2005; R-C 07/2007; Citizen 06/2008
In love for 14 years and happily counting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello,

After the Immigration Attorney I am using put fear in our minds, from the beginning, my Fiancee is losing it and saying crazy things now.

Our marriage could fall apart because she is paralized with fear at this time.

My Fiancee keeps making up excuses to avoid the interview. She is testing my patience.

The Immigration Attorney I am using told us that there is an "English Test" that my Fiancee must take and pass. I later found out on this forum that this was bogus.

But now my Fiancee is convinced that she must pass this bogus "English Test". What foreigner can learn English and pass a test on it in one year?

My Fiancee has also been conditioned to believe that getting an American Visa is the most difficult thing in the world.

Her fears are sabotaging all my efforts made to this day.

Anyone know how I can convince her that there is no English test required and that many women from China pass the interview without any problems each year?

Any statistics about this?

notmuch88tosay

Not sure if it is any consolation but my wife heard the same things in Ukraine. We did not use an attorney so we did not pay for any bad information, but she heard plenty on her own.

There is no English test.

Getting a tourist visa in many countries, including Ukraine, is extemely difficult. Getting a fiancee visa is another story entirely. She is probably hearing about tourist visas from people that do not know there is a difference.

As it was I went to the interview with Alla (Kiev allows this) and basically held her upright through out. They called her to the wondow, asked no questions and said "your visa is approved..." we wentr ouside and she said "We worried for THAT????" What you mean "we" Kemosabe? :lol:

there are few hundred people here with direct experience with the Chinese consulate. She is scared becasue she is uninformed and imagines the worst. You have to be "her man" now. If she sees YOU get worried or upset, it is all over. I would consider it a compliment that her biggest fearis that she will be denied being with YOU. Help her out.

STAY away from people who are not knowledgable of the K-1 process and STAY away from people who stand to gain monetarily by scaring you.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You could have her read the China Consulate Interview reviews on VJ

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?trim=no&cty=&cnty=China&page=1&dfilter=5

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Timeline

Thanks floridadave.

Thanks Kiv,

Yes, I don't trust my lawyer much at all now after she said a couple of other things that blew my mind. And she is a high pressure freak. But she is already paid in full.

Thanks Gary and Alla,

I appreciate the info. Yes, I have always remained positive, optimistic and not worried when chatting with her, but for some reason, she shifts into panic mode often. Maybe it's the people around her and what she hears from them.

Thanks Wally Greene,

I appreciate the link very much. I took a screenshot of those Consulate Ratings. I think that will really help.

Take care,

notmuch88tosay

Timeline

I am sure your wife has QQ, almost every Chinese person I know uses it. Have her search for women from her city who are now in the United States.

There is one huge QQ chat I am aware of that has women from all over the US that immigrated from China and have all been through the process. My wife has it on often, last time I looked there was over 300 people in the chat at any given time.

There is also a ton of localized QQ's, I know my wife talks often to other women from Chongqing, and we have even been to parties that are generated from these women meeting each other on these QQ chats.

Its a great support system for them when they come here, they can discuss issues of the difficulty and culture shock of moving and also their experiences in the immigration process.

If you have not learned already, you will learn soon enough. If you say the sky is blue, she will believe you. But the moment another Chinese woman tells your wife the sky is Purple you will forever be wrong.

Get her on QQ, get her chatting to these women that have been through the process and keep her off OO1 website. She will get her confidence back quickly and you will be back on smooth sailing.

Developing a network of friends for her before she even arrives here will increase your chance of success 1000%.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.