LagrimasDeAmor

A friends is filing for Citizenship, does economic status matter?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Would filing bankruptcy, affect or jeopardize the filing of her US naturalization process? or it does not matter? She owns property that may have to be short sale... Thanks for the advise so I can pass it on...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Is your friend applying for the 3 or 5 year? With the 3 year, required to bring in the three prior years of tax returns, don't need those for the five year. And yes, can file a tax return even with any income.

Only time I had to prove to the USCIS that I was rich was during the AOS stage, but that was before I had to pay all those fees, after that stage was dead broke. Gather they just wanted to be sure they would get paid. Does your friend have 680 bucks? First thing they look at.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Is your friend applying for the 3 or 5 year? With the 3 year, required to bring in the three prior years of tax returns, don't need those for the five year. And yes, can file a tax return even with any income.

Only time I had to prove to the USCIS that I was rich was during the AOS stage, but that was before I had to pay all those fees, after that stage was dead broke. Gather they just wanted to be sure they would get paid. Does your friend have 680 bucks? First thing they look at.

Are there any exceptions for fees based on certain financial situations?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are there any exceptions for fees based on certain financial situations?

Citizenship is not required, the person can remain a GC holder. I believe it's been said here before that there isn't a 'hardship' scenario for the citizenship fee that can be waived. If the person doesn't have the $$$ then don't apply until they have it.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

680 bucks can be worth it if frees someone from that I-864. At least with US citizenship, can legally stand in a breadline.

my friend who is a social worker said that there are subsidy programs offered by states to help cover the fees associated with applying for citizenship. also, if you are applying because of military service, the fees are waived.

01/06/2012 - N400 sent to Lewisville, TX

01/09/2012 - N400 Received

01/12/2012 - Check Cashed

01/17/2012 - NOA Received Priority Date 01/09/2012

01/23/2012 - Biometric Letter Mailed

01/26/2012 - Biometric Letter Received Appointment Date 02/02/2012

01/27/2012 - Early Biometrics Completed

02/06/2012 - Placed in line for Interview Scheduling

02/07/2012 - Interview Letter sent out

02/11/2012 - Interview Letter Received

03/19/2012 - Interview Scheduled and APPROVED!

04/18/2012 - I'm a US CITIZEN!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

AFAIK her financial status is totally irrelevant at this point in time. All they're interested in at Citizenship level is whether you've been in the country long enough, including any trips, and your criminal background. If you can pay the fee, you can get your citizenship.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Would filing bankruptcy, affect or jeopardize the filing of her US naturalization process? or it does not matter? She owns property that may have to be short sale... Thanks for the advise so I can pass it on...

Does not matter

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Citizenship is not required, the person can remain a GC holder. I believe it's been said here before that there isn't a 'hardship' scenario for the citizenship fee that can be waived. If the person doesn't have the $$$ then don't apply until they have it.

They may not be able to get a waiver (I do no tknow) but I would say "If you do not have the money, then BORROW it and apply"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Even GC needs to be renewed every 10 years and it costs almost the same amount of money as N-400 but every 10 years. I would say borrow from some one the app fee for N-400 and be done with it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.