ftr_mrs_f

citizenship interview tomorrow, big mess

19 posts in this topic

Hello, i've been studying for my interview all day and just now I found a white paper in the envelope that they sent me with the interview date. I don't have that tax form they ask, I only have all our tax stuff that we will present to H&R for the income tax. I also don't have a notarized copy of our daughter's birth certificate. What can I do? my interview is at 8am :( I totally messed up. Also, is it required that our daughter comes with us to the interview? she's in preschool and we don't know if it would be good for her to be at this kind of place or if it would be positive that she's there with us. Thanks for any answer to my question.

July 06/06.............. Thanks God everything is ready and my baby finally mailed I-129f

July 17/06.............. Check was cashed

July 18/06.............. Thx God we got our NOA1 from CSC

Sep 20/06............... Thx God! NOA2 date

Sep 21/06............... touched; got 5 approval emails! thank you Lord!

Sep 26/06............... mon amour got NOA2

Oct 18/06............... My baby got the letter from NVC

Oct 24/06............... Oh, Lord, You are so great! got our packet 3 today!!! yupi!!! early bday present!!!

Oct 30/06............... Mailing away my DS-156, thank you for your blessings, God

Nov 01/06............... Medical @ 8am

Dec 14/06............... My baby got packet 4

Jan 06/07............... We requested our Interview to be scheduled for January 22nd! my baby's bday! and he will be allowed 2b inside with me!! wow!

Jan 22/07............... VISA APPROVED!!! THANK YOU LORD!!!

Jan 29/07............... Went to cargo expresso to get my passport, which means: VISA RECEIVED!!!

Apr 27/07............... Married my one and only at 10;30am

Jul 06/07............... Finally mailed away AOS

Jul 19/07............... Check was cashed

Jul 21/07............... Thanks God we received NOA1

Jul 24/07............... Thanks God we received Biometrics letter

Ag 17/07............... Biometrics @ 12

dev242bf___.png

"Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence..."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello, i've been studying for my interview all day and just now I found a white paper in the envelope that they sent me with the interview date. I don't have that tax form they ask, I only have all our tax stuff that we will present to H&R for the income tax. I also don't have a notarized copy of our daughter's birth certificate. What can I do? my interview is at 8am :( I totally messed up. Also, is it required that our daughter comes with us to the interview? she's in preschool and we don't know if it would be good for her to be at this kind of place or if it would be positive that she's there with us. Thanks for any answer to my question.

It is too late to worry about things. Get good night sleep and go tomorrow to interview and let what ever happens let it happen. They might ask you to send the material that you don't have with you. If your daughter is not applying for the citizenship not sure if she needs to go to interview. Is she is one of the applicants then she should also attend the interview.

Just be calm and go to your interview with all the documents you have right now. The officer will most likely give you a chance to complete all the missing documents after the interview.

Not sure if they want to see your child, I assume not. Maybe other fellow VJers can comment on that.

As I said, just relax and don't be hard on yourself. You will go through the test and most likely pass and then asked to complete the documents.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Bring the original of the birth cert, they can make a copy.

No need to bring the child, it is boring waiting around for the interview, but you can if you want to- in my office, they had crayons and papers for the kids.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Only you are being interviewed for YOUR citizenship, the spouse is seldom if ever part of the interview so don't worry about your daughter or husband. I assume you have plenty of evidence indicating that you're married and have co-mingled finances? Your daughter's birth cert (notarized or not) isn't the only evidence they're using and just because you don't have a notarized copy won't make or break you passing the interview.

It's past 8 am so it's all water under the bridge now. Fill us in on what happened at the interview

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Tax returns are always for the year before, 2011 taxes aren't even due yet, should be happy with 2008, 2009, and 2010 tax returns, should have these if applying for the three year marriage.

Spouse, kids at the interview? Rare that they ever want to see real people, wife could claim I am her husband or could be a neighbors kid she brought in. They don't want to see real people, just their papers. If that kid is product of your present marriage to your sponsoring spouse, a birth certificate is just another piece of evidence that you are married and even optional depending on your IO. If any kind of a step kid, yours or your spouse's, not even interested in birth certificates.

If that kid as a US citizen dad, and especially born in the USA, not the least bit interested in that kid, already a US citizen. If it is a kid or kids that were brought here and under 18, only interest from the USCIS is they will be US citizens when you are naturalized. But if you want proof of that, fill out an N-600 and send us 600 bucks.

It all boils down to show me your papers.

Many of us go along with our spouses for moral support, but considered by the field office just to be in the way. Key reason for me wanting to go along was to make damn sure, we got all of our original papers back.

If that kid as a US citizen dad, and especially born in the USA, not the least bit interested in that kid, already a US citizen. If it is a kid or kids that were brought here and under 18, only interest from the USCIS is they will be US citizens when you are naturalized. But if you want proof of that, fill out an N-600 and send us 600 bucks.

You don't even have to file N600 unless you have 600bucks to spare. Just apply a passport, book + card for her.

2001-2008 F1

08/2008 - AOS VSC

07/2009 - end of 8yrs of grad sch

02/14/09 - ID, GC approved

02/27/09 - CGC rcvd

11/16/2010 - 751 sent - CSC

03/29/2011 - 751 approved

11/15/11 - N400 Sent

11/18/11 - Notice Date

01/27/12 - Interview Date

03/15/12 - Oath Ceremony

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You don't even have to file N600 unless you have 600bucks to spare. Just apply a passport, book + card for her.

That wasn't from me, was from the USCIS, I don't get that 600 bucks. But still like to close the door with that kid with the USCIS, N-600 does that, a US passport does not.

That wasn't from me, was from the USCIS, I don't get that 600 bucks. But still like to close the door with that kid with the USCIS, N-600 does that, a US passport does not.

I was agreeing with you on this issue; i.e., I thought to get the N-600 as well besides the passport book and the passport card. I now say just get the passport card and passport book. It is much cheaper and much faster. Look at the 2nd page of the following publication from USCIS M-560: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/A4en.pdf

USCIS basically says the same:

How do I apply to have my citizenship recognized?

You have two options:

[1] You can apply to the U.S. Department of State for a U.S. passport. A passport is evidence of citizenship and also serves as a travel document if you need to travel. For information about applying for a U.S. passport, see the U.S. Department of State website at www.state.gov.

[2] If you are already in the United States, you also have the option of applying to USCIS using Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship. However, you may find applying for a passport to be more convenient because it also serves as a travel document and could be a faster process.

Edited by nwctzn

That was not MY information. Came straight out of the mouth of the office who interviewed me for my N400. He said filing N600 was optional, but gave me two reasons it's good to file it - proof of citizenship if the child lost his/her naturalization certificate. Which is a good point, but of course there's some sales pitch in there because the child can still provide proof of citizenship w/out the certificate or passport. And since I am not willing to part with 600$, I am NOT filing it.

Oh, he also said it's good to file N600 cos then when the child files for a passport, he/she doesn't have to provide evidence of his/her journey to citizenship. I have no problem providing this evidence if I get to keep my 600$. :innocent:

Edited by Jupiter07

2001-2008 F1

08/2008 - AOS VSC

02/27/09 - CGC rcvd

11/15/11 - N400 Sent

11/18/11 - Notice Date

03/15/12 - Oath Ceremony

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

- proof of citizenship if the child lost his/her naturalization certificate. Which is a good point, but of course there's some sales pitch in there because the child can still provide proof of citizenship w/out the certificate or passport. And since I am not willing to part with 600$, I am NOT filing it.

A child, never, ever, not in a million, billion, trillion, gazillion years, has a naturalization certificate (Certificate of Naturalization). Why? Because the minimum age for naturalization is 18. Children cannot apply for naturalization and cannot naturalize. Ever seen a 3-year-old taking the Oath of Allegiance?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

A child, never, ever, not in a million, billion, trillion, gazillion years, has a naturalization certificate (Certificate of Naturalization). Why? Because the minimum age for naturalization is 18. Children cannot apply for naturalization and cannot naturalize. Ever seen a 3-year-old taking the Oath of Allegiance?

CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP

2001-2008 F1

08/2008 - AOS VSC

02/27/09 - CGC rcvd

11/15/11 - N400 Sent

11/18/11 - Notice Date

03/15/12 - Oath Ceremony

event.png

I 100% agree with bolded part. Nobody wants to spend $600 BUT just to close the door with USCIS for good I did it for my child. It's my responsibility to apply for every single docs for her while she is a minor. I would expect that my mother would do the same for me if i was the minor child. Children will be adult and I don't want to see my daughter having to deal with USCIS again in 10 years from now because some one is asking her to provide a Certificate of Citizenship because the Passport is not good enough. A friend of mine is having this dilema now with his almost 17 year old son, the son is being asked to provide his Certificate of Citizenship even though he has a passport. Now, they have to go back to USCIS after 7 years the father got his Naturalization as he thought he was done with USCIS, guess what? No. If to be done with USCIS means to pay $600 for a CoC so bet it. I 'm getting the three proof of Citizenship for my child (Certificate of Citizenship, Passport and Passport card) and Voila!

Edited by mari&Ryan

K1-K2 Visas Journey

(Day 1) 05/23/07: Packet sent to CSC

(Day 247) 01/25/08: Interview. Approved!

(Day 254) 02/01/08: Visas Received.

AOS Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 04/20/08: Application sent.

(Day 73) 07/02/08: EAD,AP Approved!

(Day 108) 08/05/08: AOS Approved!

(Day 114) 08/11/08: 2 years GC received.

ROC Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 05/09/10: Application sent.

(Day 129) 09/14/10: ROC Approved!

(Day 135) 09/20/10: 10 years GC received.

Naturalization Journey

(Day 1) 10/02/11: Application sent.

(Day 122) 01/31/12: Interview. PASSED!

(Day 125) 02/03/12: Oath Ceremony. Done!

End of our Journey:

Daughter and I became U.S. Citizens on 02/03/2012.

(Day 1) 02/09/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card.

(Day 16) 02/24/12: Passport received.

(Day 19) 02/27/12: Passport Card received.

(Day 24) 03/03/12: Got CoN back.

N-600 for Daughter

(Day 1) 02/04/12: Application sent.

(Day 117) 05/30/12: Picked up Certificate of Citizenship at USCIS local office Chicago.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Eat a good dinner, sleep well, you will be fine.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.