Nymphadora

What if I'm abroad during K-1 visa process?!

11 posts in this topic

I've read that the process time to get a K-1 visa takes about 8 months.

(I'm a Swedish citizen, planning to apply for a K-1 visa)

I'm also planning to stay in the US during June, July, and August this summer 2012.

But I wonder; what would happen if my petition would get approved during my stay in the

US and I wouldn't be home in Sweden? Cause I guess they'll send me all the documents to

my adress in Sweden and not to my Fiancés american adress, right?

So, if they'd send me more forms to fill in and so on, while I'm abroad, would that be a problem?

Could I get rejected to get the K-1 visa?

I've read that it takes about 5 months to get the I-129F form approved and to get further information.

And if we'd send in this I-129F form in March it would be possible that it would get approved in

August, while I'm still in the US.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

I would really appreciate your help in this matter!

I was in the US when my NOA2 was approved. I flew back shortly after and started the process for the visa. My consulate did all their correspondence by email so it was not a problem, but I needed to be in Australia to get the police certificates, medical etc ready. Based on your dates you would be in the same situation. It's not really a problem but it could slow things down a bit.

I was in the US when my NOA2 was approved. I flew back shortly after and started the process for the visa. My consulate did all their correspondence by email so it was not a problem, but I needed to be in Australia to get the police certificates, medical etc ready. Based on your dates you would be in the same situation. It's not really a problem but it could slow things down a bit.

Okay! Thank you for your reply! I was afraid that I could get rejected for not sending in the forms as soon as possible or something like that..

I need to be in Sweden too, to get all the certificates and to do the medical examinations and so on.

I don't know if the USCIS or the US embassy in Stockholm will do any correspondence by e-mail though.

I've read that the process time to get a K-1 visa takes about 8 months.

(I'm a Swedish citizen, planning to apply for a K-1 visa)

I'm also planning to stay in the US during June, July, and August this summer 2012.

But I wonder; what would happen if my petition would get approved during my stay in the

US and I wouldn't be home in Sweden? Cause I guess they'll send me all the documents to

my adress in Sweden and not to my Fiancés american adress, right?

So, if they'd send me more forms to fill in and so on, while I'm abroad, would that be a problem?

Could I get rejected to get the K-1 visa?

I've read that it takes about 5 months to get the I-129F form approved and to get further information.

And if we'd send in this I-129F form in March it would be possible that it would get approved in

August, while I'm still in the US.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

I would really appreciate your help in this matter!

5-6 months is the average, it could take longer or shorter. You would definitely need to be in Sverige to complete the process. Notice -very important- that once NOA2 is approved (this is the approval at the end of 5-6 months), there is a time limit for this approval, if i recall correctly 3-4 months from the date of approval to complete the interview (which needs to be done in Stockholm). Thus, I'd be ready to travel back within 2-3 weeks of receiving notice. The notice is received by petitioner, in the US. Some of the preparation to the interview might be possible by e-mail, depends on the Embassy.

Last but not least, there is always the possible RFE, which add time to all the process.

Lycka till!

Once the NOA2 is issued you have several months (I can't remember 4 or 6 months) to apply for and get your visa issued.

Check the link for Sweden under the "Embassy info" tab, or else ask the Europe sub-forum, for information on the Swedish embassy/consulate procedures.

For USCIS, the official NOA1 and NOA2 will come in the mail (DON'T lose the NOA2, it is very important for AOS). You can also sign up for text/email alerts when you send your petition and also after you get your case number through the USCIS website (sometimes this doesn't work).

Once the NOA2 is issued you have several months (I can't remember 4 or 6 months) to apply for and get your visa issued.

Check the link for Sweden under the "Embassy info" tab, or else ask the Europe sub-forum, for information on the Swedish embassy/consulate procedures.

For USCIS, the official NOA1 and NOA2 will come in the mail (DON'T lose the NOA2, it is very important for AOS). You can also sign up for text/email alerts when you send your petition and also after you get your case number through the USCIS website (sometimes this doesn't work).

Thank you so much for your help!

I'm planning to travel back to Sweden in the end uf August 2012.

(I'm only allowed to stay in the US for 90 days on the VWP)

So if there's a time limit on 4 months, it would be alright then...!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It would seem like the process for a CR1 is much quicker for those who would previously have done a Direct Consular Filing (No longer possible in Sweden). If your future husband lives in Sweden it might be a lot quicker then a year. I'm linking to a thread where a Swedish couple got their NOA2 in 9 days!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350303-best-step-to-stall-at-nvc-stage/

I contacted the embassy in Sthlm and asked them what the time limit is for me to apply for a fiancé visa, after that the I-129F form has been approved and the checklist has been sent to me.

This is the answer they gave me:

"The processing time is approx 6-8 months in all but could sometimes take longer.

Once we receive the approved petition (could take a month after approval) we will

mail the applicant a checklist with instructions."

They say nothing about a time limit in the answer...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

No, they can't say for sure how long it takes. However you can take a look at this for a little while; http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=0&op1=&op2=&op3=1&op4=1&op6=All&op7=Sweden&dfile=No&adv=1

It shows how much time from(embassy in) Stockholm receiving the petition until they send packet 3 out, responding and when their interviews are. It's far from precise since it depends on how fast you reply as one factor. This is one thing that's flexible with the K1 - usually the embassy extends the petition once it expires(4 months after NOA2 if I remember correctly). When they receive your case file, you don't have to respond right away. So if it takes an extra month for you, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

No, they can't say for sure how long it takes. However you can take a look at this for a little while; http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/k1list.php?cfl=0&op1=&op2=&op3=1&op4=1&op6=All&op7=Sweden&dfile=No&adv=1

It shows how much time from(embassy in) Stockholm receiving the petition until they send packet 3 out, responding and when their interviews are. It's far from precise since it depends on how fast you reply as one factor. This is one thing that's flexible with the K1 - usually the embassy extends the petition once it expires(4 months after NOA2 if I remember correctly). When they receive your case file, you don't have to respond right away. So if it takes an extra month for you, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Okay, thanks for the link.

But I'm still not sure what this means.

Since I don't know whether they will send the "packet 3" with the extra documents I have to attach

within 3 or 5 months. And if I will recieve this while I'm abroad, I'm afraid my application for the K-1

will expire before I come back to Sweden to continue with the application.

The embassy in Sthlm didn't give me a good answer about this so I don't know what to think now.

Okay, thanks for the link.

But I'm still not sure what this means.

Since I don't know whether they will send the "packet 3" with the extra documents I have to attach

within 3 or 5 months. And if I will recieve this while I'm abroad, I'm afraid my application for the K-1

will expire before I come back to Sweden to continue with the application.

The embassy in Sthlm didn't give me a good answer about this so I don't know what to think now.

NOA2 (last step of approval before paperwork moves to NVC and then Sverige) will send a written notice to the addres of petitioner in the US. (It will be also posted in teh USCIS web site and you can set it up to get SMS and/or e-mail) Once the notice is sent, paperwork moves to NVC still state side, where it would take 1-2 weeks in average; then it is sent to Sthlm. Your clue to get back would be when NOA2 is in your hands. Not that you nee to travel next day, but I'd say 3-4 weeks from that date at the latest. In the meantime, the packet3 is only a list of documentes you need to compile and upon ready, send the form back to the Embassy so an interview can be scheduled. You can -very likely- download the packet 3 today from the Embassy site and see what you need. Be aware than sometimes embassies have specific requirements and it would be listed in the Embassy site as well; or you can check with anyone else here that has 1st hand experience with Sthlm..I lived there for several years but don't have direct experience with the Embassy there specific to a K-1.

Edited by Gosia & Tito

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.