CAdreamer

Follow to join (k2) - how does it work?

4 posts in this topic

I had been planning to have my 2 children immigrate with me, but now that we're approaching the finish line, my ex is dragging his feet and suggesting alternate arrangements (ie, they live with him for a year first), so I thought I should investigate the follow-to-join option for k2s.

I'm having trouble finding any good, detailed information though. If anyone has a link that might point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

I think my most pressing questions now, though, are:

1) When sending in Packet 3, if the kids will be following to join, do I only send in papers for me now, or still for all 3 of us?

2) When booking the medical and interview, do the kids do their medical/interviews now, or is that done later, when they are ready to come along to the US?

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide.

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

The children should have been listed in the original 129F petition. This way the embassy knows that there are K2's which will be following you. Packet 3 is for you only unless all of you are going to the interview at the same time. Then you will need their medical and police certificates, etc with you. If the children will be staying behind ( follow to join)then they will need to have interviews scheduled for them separately and therefore their own packet 3 and 4. Keep in mind that once you receive your visa they MUST have their interview completed within one year of yours. And I would not wait until the last few month since any thing can happen such as scheduling snafus, it takes time to request the packet 3, do the forms ( your ex may drag his feet again) and get the interview date. I do not know the ages of your children but also most important is they arrive here before their 21st birthdays.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The children should have been listed in the original 129F petition. This way the embassy knows that there are K2's which will be following you. Packet 3 is for you only unless all of you are going to the interview at the same time. Then you will need their medical and police certificates, etc with you. If the children will be staying behind ( follow to join)then they will need to have interviews scheduled for them separately and therefore their own packet 3 and 4. Keep in mind that once you receive your visa they MUST have their interview completed within one year of yours. And I would not wait until the last few month since any thing can happen such as scheduling snafus, it takes time to request the packet 3, do the forms ( your ex may drag his feet again) and get the interview date. I do not know the ages of your children but also most important is they arrive here before their 21st birthdays.

I have the same case. What forms do I need to prepare and where to start? My case is in Montreal embassy but my daughter will process in the Philippines. Do i have to contact NVC or USCIS or I will cotact Manila embassy right away..

Thank you..

Feb.2011: Met online
Nov.2011: Meet in person
Aug.2012: Got engaged
Jan29,2013: Sent I-129F petition
Feb 4: NOA1:
Jul24,2013: email notification stating our approved application was sent to Department of State for visa processing
July 6: NOA2 approval date
Aug 21: NOA2 hardcopy sent out by USCIS
Aug 5: NVC received our case
Aug 8: Montreal Consulate received..
Aug 19: Packet 3 sent to USEM ( no packet 3 received)
Aug 27: Packet 4 received thru email.
Aug 12: Medical exam date
Nov 18: Interview date / Passed

Nov 19: Visa issued

Nov 25: Picked up visa and POE

Nov 30: Wedding day

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.