Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

1) Best to wait until London actually is ready and has your file logged in. It doesn't happen the day it arrives. Either wait for their letter or if you can't wait call DOS and ask if your case is logged in. Forms arriving before London is ready may get out of sync and get lost. Not saying don't do it, but know it is against the plan they have worked out for their efficiency.

2) Yes, but a medical arriving before the file or before forms received is again out of sync with their system so pick a date to kinda fit the order.

3) Yes to sending DS-2001. You don't have to send proof of anything. They try to meet schedules if they can, so knowing a date or lack of one helps them slot people in. People in a major panic can say they are in a huge hurry and are available on very short notice if there is a cancellation spot. Just be prepared for an email saying come in 2 days if you tell them you are available on short notice. It could happen, so don't ask for it unless you can easily get to London.

4) Fee can be paid before or after you get the interview letter. You will get an instant email receipt to take to the interview. Paying early doesn't give you favors, so pay when you are ready to part with the funds.

Thanks for all the info Nich-Nick..especially the tip on being available on short notice for the interview. :) My fiance lives a 2 1/2 hour drive from London and will be done teaching for the year so can easily go with limited notice. Also has close friends who live just outside London who he could stay with the night before if he had a very early appt time. His flat will be ready and is getting a renter arranged soon and his parents can sell his car after he leaves.

I think I mentioned my dad's rapidly declining health. The house he booked for all of us is August 10th so I think we are going to put wedding date of 8/9 to give as much time as possible to make it "doable" although I would love to put the 2nd to give us time but I think that is pushing it. Any advice on that?

The timing of when to send things is going to be tricky...when you say call DOS - who is DOS? blush.png

Timeline

I'm having a little panic about my DS application forms. I sent them off today, without receiving packet 3 yet.

The petition arrived on Friday, and the CEAC status changed from 'In Transit' to 'Ready' on Monday. I held back a few days in the hope Packet 3 would turn up, but it hasn't yet, and I got impatient.

Are my forms going to get lost? I'm having kittens here. unsure.png

Wow Laura C- your timeline is going so fast - that's great. :)

can I just ask a little about your terminology as I'm still learning about this stage. I guess from what i read earlier in this thread, we used to have to wait for Packet 3 to be mailed with the forms but now they are available online so that's why we don't have to wait for the packet itself to arrive. I would never have known that if not for this forum which is awesome. But just so I understand what happens from NOA2:

-as the USC, I will get the NOA2 letter with instructions (I was approved Tuesday so hope to get it soon).that mailing comes from TSC who approved our petition,correct?

- then it goes to NVC where they assign it the number (I will be starting to call them soon for the number) .is it an LND number and a case number or are they the same thing.

- then London would log it in, and send packet three to my fiance? is that correct?

- when you say CEAC status has changed from in transit to ready - is that where we were registered on the site for getting our approval or do you get that status from nvc on the phone?

whoever answers, thanks in advance ..this board is the best. :)

Wow Laura C- your timeline is going so fast - that's great. smile.png

can I just ask a little about your terminology as I'm still learning about this stage. I guess from what i read earlier in this thread, we used to have to wait for Packet 3 to be mailed with the forms but now they are available online so that's why we don't have to wait for the packet itself to arrive. I would never have known that if not for this forum which is awesome. But just so I understand what happens from NOA2:

-as the USC, I will get the NOA2 letter with instructions (I was approved Tuesday so hope to get it soon).that mailing comes from TSC who approved our petition,correct?

- then it goes to NVC where they assign it the number (I will be starting to call them soon for the number) .is it an LND number and a case number or are they the same thing.

- then London would log it in, and send packet three to my fiance? is that correct?

- when you say CEAC status has changed from in transit to ready - is that where we were registered on the site for getting our approval or do you get that status from nvc on the phone?

whoever answers, thanks in advance ..this board is the best. smile.png

1. The USC will get the NOA2 notice. It'll say some stuff, but mostly that the beneficiary will receive further instructions. Then the petitioner won't get any more mail. The further instructions will be sent to the beneficiary and that's what we call "Packet 3".

2. The NVC will give you an LND, yep. The Packet 3 will also have the LND written on it. The NOA2 that the petitioner gets may have a case number or reiterate the original receipt number, but it won't have the LND, because that's sent before the case gets to the NVC. You can call the NVC to get the LND, or you can wait for it to go to the London embassy and get mailed (or you can call the embassy if you think it's likely go there already - but either the embassy or the NVC should know it).

3. Yep! Well, sort of. The NVC does some processing and then London probably does a spot of it's own - I'm not sure exactly the order here, but yes, it will result in the mail out of Packet 3 to your fiance with a link to the website and the LND number.

4. CEAC is a website. It's just a way to track the visa production progress - so it goes from In transit (being couriered to the embassy) to ready (when the embassy has it and sent packet 3) to some other states when the interview has been had (additional processing and issued, I believe. there's probably a denied state too, but of course we'd never see that ;) ). If you have your LND you can look your case up on CEAC: https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker You don't have to do anything to register on it - the NVC logs you, and then you just need the number to check your status.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Many questions here. Here's some background of what is supposed to happen that I have previously posted.

1. Petition gets approved and USC (US citizen) gets notified by mail (NOA2). It shows an expiration in four months. It has your A-number on it above your name. Make note of that because you will be asked for it many times until you become a citizen. This same NOA2 is needed for adjustment of status. Don't mail it to London. Don't lose it!

2. File goes to NVC for only a few days. This is the hand-off to the Dept of State (DOS). You are no longer with USCIS. Gets a new DOS case number LNDxxxxx and is sent to London. USC gets a letter from the NVC telling new case number and that it's gone to London.

***At this point you can call the Dept of State for info on your case. It is a US phone number. DOS 202-663-1225 press 1, then 0. They don't charge per minute to give you information. You may also check status online on the DOS website https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?

3. London is busy. They may not open the packages from NVC immediately. It takes a couple of weeks maybe, but eventually logs in your case and sends a paper letter to the UK person with instructions on how to apply for the visa. A description of that is in this post in the LONDON K1 thread http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/?p=5137390 . The letter is posted in the same forum here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/350185-london-2012-k1s-from-noa2-to-interview-thread/?p=5180175.

The London web page of instructions and forms is here Instructions for Immigrant Visa (K) Applicants Applying for a Visa in London. It is your job to read every detail if you are trying to do this yourself.

4. The UK person sends in four forms with information. As long as those get in before the I-129F petition expires (four months) everything is fine. If there is a delay, the letter says that London will need a notarized letter of intent from the USC (at the interview) to assure them he/she is still on board. If they still don't get the four application forms forms from the UK person and the petition is expired, London will mail a second letter asking The UK person if they still intend to apply for a visa.

5. After sending the four forms, the UK person follows the rest of the website instructions to gather the documents required for the interview. That list is here http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html

6. A medical exam is scheduled and attended by the UK person. The results go to the embassy. If you need to ask how to do this, then you didn't read the London web instructions. You didn't click the link in the left sidebar that says "medical".

7. When all the documents needed (see #5) are in hand, and the medical has been scheduled, the UK person lets London know they are ready to interview by sending for DS-2001.

8. When London has three things from you they will give an appointment. Those things are a)application forms, b) medical results, c ) Ds-2001 ready for interview form.

9. London mails an Appointment Letter giving the date and time. It's your ticket in the door.

10. The UK person calls the embassy line ( 09042-450-100 ) to pay the visa fee over the phone by credit card. A receipt is emailed. Bring the receipt to the interview appointment to show you have paid.

11. Most passports with visa will be returned by courier on the 3rd working day after the interview, but it could take longer. If you or your close family were born in or frequently visit India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Eritrea, Lebanon, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, or Syria or have Muslim ties then don't expect your visa for likely 2 months to a year. There can be extra security checks. I am not saying it will happen, but don't expect a visa in a few days.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

11. Most passports with visa will be returned by courier on the 3rd working day after the interview, but it could take longer. If you or your close family were born in or frequently visit India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Eritrea, Lebanon, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, or Syria or have Muslim ties then don't expect your visa for likely 2 months to a year. There can be extra security checks. I am not saying it will happen, but don't expect a visa in a few days.

Hey Nich-Nick...

When you say frequently, you mean once is OK right? I went to India in 2008 for a holiday. Will they care about this? I don't need one more thing to worry about :(

Zoe

Hey Nich-Nick...

When you say frequently, you mean once is OK right? I went to India in 2008 for a holiday. Will they care about this? I don't need one more thing to worry about :(

Zoe

Think of it this way...if you go every few months back and forth to a known terrorist country (even with British citizenship) you surely will make them wonder what you are up to. So they may want to run you through extra security clearance databases to see if you appear on any of their super-secret terrorist lists. To clear your name would be complicated if you had a common name like Mohammed and they had to sift through a lot of data or request someone at another post to physically pull a file and report back. That's why it sometimes drags on and on. Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

2. The NVC will give you an LND, yep. The Packet 3 will also have the LND written on it. The NOA2 that the petitioner gets may have a case number or reiterate the original receipt number, but it won't have the LND, because that's sent before the case gets to the NVC. You can call the NVC to get the LND, or you can wait for it to go to the London embassy and get mailed (or you can call the embassy if you think it's likely go there already - but either the embassy or the NVC should know it).

3. Yep! Well, sort of. The NVC does some processing and then London probably does a spot of it's own - I'm not sure exactly the order here, but yes, it will result in the mail out of Packet 3 to your fiance with a link to the website and the LND number.

Can I just fine tune this since it's from somebody that didn't go through the K1 process? It's a tiny bit misleading.

You start out under the Dept of Homeland Security at USCIS. When the petitioner gets NOA2 (approval of the petition), it is the end of your USCIS dealings. Done. They ship you out and wave bye-bye. Yes, NOA2 has your USCIS case number on it (EACxxxxxxxx or WACxxxxxxxxx) because it's from USCIS. By the way, no more calling them about questions or checking online status because they turn you over to.....

The Dept of State, a totally different section of the US government. DOS is over the NVC and Embassy. They issue visas. They don't use USCIS case numbers. They issue DOS case numbers starting with 3 letters representing your embassy city. Their forms start with "DS". (Get it?--Dept of State)

The NVC is in New Hampshire. The NVC will notify the petitioner by mail of their case number, so yes, the petitioner gets more mail after NOA2. You may also call NVC or the Dept of State for FREE to ask your number well before the embassy knows about you. And the embassy charges to answer the phone, so avoid calling them for small things like case numbers or "did you send my letter yet?" DOS knows all because they are Papa Bear to the embassy.

So at the NVC, for a K1 their main job is to assign a case number and send out petitions with DHL delivery service. They have nothing to process really because you haven't applied for a visa yet. They don't process your petition because that was USCIS's job and they have finished. It should be not much more than a three day layover to get boxed up and off to the .......

Embassy. They are interested in the beneficiary because that's who wants a visa. London mails only to the beneficiary. (I think Mexico mails to the petitioner, so that's why you shouldn't read posts from other consulates. It will mess you up.) London quit mailing giant packets of 19 pages in 2009. (My fiancé got a packet. You will get a letter.) Everything you need is web based now. So the embassy basically gathers your stuff, but I seriously don't think anybody evaluates it or does any "processing" other than making sure your stuff is there and assigning interviews. They don't send RFEs because nobody reads your forms. On interview day, a document person sees you first to collect the things you bring. They are clerical people. They are not the "first interview" as I have seen posted. They can't decide your case. They organize your documents, check to see if you paid, and pass the folder to the back room to an American who is the interviewer. That is the person who counts and looks through your file and forms.

One last thing. When you get the visa, the DOS job is done. Your POE is back to the Dept of Homeland Security. While DOS can give you a visa to enter the US, it is USCIS that can give you a greencard to stay. So your adjustment of status is a return to the arms of USCIS. But different departments and people will receive your AOS application so think of it as starting a brand new ball game. They don't care about your petition or visa and will ask for many of the same things over again. I see many people think AOS should be in the maiden name because that was the petition and visa name. Remember it's a new ball game and some of you will be married ladies who have taken a new last name. Play the new ball game with you new name. You are starting over with a new process.

Class dismissed. There will be a test on Monday. :P

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

I read a good question for this thread concerning form DS-156 and your UK passport.

If the passport says IPS as the issuer their home office is London, England. My husband's says something different that I can't recall now but they re-organized and now are called Identity and Passport Services. Same people, new letters. If you got the passport by mail, then London is an okay answer. If you drove to Portsmouth to get one day service, you could list Portsmouth. Some people get passports issues by the British Embassey in Washington, DC. You've got to remember this is a worldwide form and some passports (British) don't list a city of issuance. The good news is, I've known Brits to put all kinds of answers to this question but have never heard of anyone rejected for whatever they listed. It's not going to be an issue.

My Fiance is from Morocco but living in the UK as student for over 3 years now so I would be confused on what he should put here...?

My Fiance is from Morocco but living in the UK as student for over 3 years now so I would be confused on what he should put here...?

Few (or none) of us have ever seen a passport from Morocco so we don't know if it lists a city of issue or not, which is what the question is asking. Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Can I just fine tune this since it's from somebody that didn't go through the K1 process? It's a tiny bit misleading.

You start out under the Dept of Homeland Security at USCIS. When the petitioner gets NOA2 (approval of the petition), it is the end of your USCIS dealings. Done. They ship you out and wave bye-bye. Yes, NOA2 has your USCIS case number on it (EACxxxxxxxx or WACxxxxxxxxx) because it's from USCIS. By the way, no more calling them about questions or checking online status because they turn you over to.....

The Dept of State, a totally different section of the US government. DOS is over the NVC and Embassy. They issue visas. They don't use USCIS case numbers. They issue DOS case numbers starting with 3 letters representing your embassy city. Their forms start with "DS". (Get it?--Dept of State)

The NVC is in New Hampshire. The NVC will notify the petitioner by mail of their case number, so yes, the petitioner gets more mail after NOA2. You may also call NVC or the Dept of State for FREE to ask your number well before the embassy knows about you. And the embassy charges to answer the phone, so avoid calling them for small things like case numbers or "did you send my letter yet?" DOS knows all because they are Papa Bear to the embassy.

So at the NVC, for a K1 their main job is to assign a case number and send out petitions with DHL delivery service. They have nothing to process really because you haven't applied for a visa yet. They don't process your petition because that was USCIS's job and they have finished. It should be not much more than a three day layover to get boxed up and off to the .......

Embassy. They are interested in the beneficiary because that's who wants a visa. London mails only to the beneficiary. (I think Mexico mails to the petitioner, so that's why you shouldn't read posts from other consulates. It will mess you up.) London quit mailing giant packets of 19 pages in 2009. (My fiancé got a packet. You will get a letter.) Everything you need is web based now. So the embassy basically gathers your stuff, but I seriously don't think anybody evaluates it or does any "processing" other than making sure your stuff is there and assigning interviews. They don't send RFEs because nobody reads your forms. On interview day, a document person sees you first to collect the things you bring. They are clerical people. They are not the "first interview" as I have seen posted. They can't decide your case. They organize your documents, check to see if you paid, and pass the folder to the back room to an American who is the interviewer. That is the person who counts and looks through your file and forms.

One last thing. When you get the visa, the DOS job is done. Your POE is back to the Dept of Homeland Security. While DOS can give you a visa to enter the US, it is USCIS that can give you a greencard to stay. So your adjustment of status is a return to the arms of USCIS. But different departments and people will receive your AOS application so think of it as starting a brand new ball game. They don't care about your petition or visa and will ask for many of the same things over again. I see many people think AOS should be in the maiden name because that was the petition and visa name. Remember it's a new ball game and some of you will be married ladies who have taken a new last name. Play the new ball game with you new name. You are starting over with a new process.

Class dismissed. There will be a test on Monday. tongue.png

This is great info..I am tempted to say "great, bring on the test" unfortunately, there have been a few times where my reading comprehension on these proceedings have been less than stellar... so I'm pretty sure I will be posting another stupid question or two before I'm done. :D

I had read the first several pages of this thread originally but I don't think I was as familiar with it then or with the terminology so may read around a bit tomorrow again.

thanks again. :)

Timeline

I received my NOA2 LETTER in the mail today June 29th 2013. Valid from June 25 2013 - 10/24/2013. Does this mean we have until 10/24/13 to get the interview scheduled or to get married? Or is it 3 months once he gets into the U.S. to get married and 6 months to leave the UK for his Visa to be valid... I believe I just answered my own question... 0_o correct me if I'm wrong! :D

Timeline

Has anyone else heard of the petition expiring because of "administrative processing"? What is the Embassy doing with the case at this point. Are they aware of the NOA2 Expiration & will they extend that date if it's something that is not because of the U.S. Petitioner or the Beneficiary but because of their processing time?

Timeline

my medical and DS-2001 where logged in at the embassy on the 24th of Feb and i just received my appointment letter today... the 2nd of March. my interview is in 12 days lol. that seems very quick but it should give you some idea of your time frame now.

my interview list...

ESSENTIALS.

passport and 2x passport photos.

my birth cert + copy.

police cert + copy.

I-134 from Jenni's dad, tax return + W2, pay slips.

invitation letter.

visa fee receipt.

cedit/debit card to pay for visa delivery.

myself biggrin.gif

EXTRAS just in case.

spare copies of all forms submitted to embassy... DS-156 etc.

letters of intent from Jenni and I.

I-134 and supporting evidence from Jenni.

copy of the original I-129F, G-325A, proof of having met, proof of ongoing relationship.... not needed. divorce decrees... im not sure myself so if someone else could say whether they are needed or not??? also my list suddenly looks very small so if im missing anything then please let me know biggrin.gif

and the appointment letter (packet 4)

attachicon.gifinterview appointment letter edited.jpg

Hello fellow VJ

Does the invitation letter have to be from the Co-sponser, just U.S. Petetioner, or both? Or I was thinking this is optional to play it safe... ?

Thanks! :)

I received my NOA2 LETTER in the mail today June 29th 2013. Valid from June 25 2013 - 10/24/2013. Does this mean we have until 10/24/13 to get the interview scheduled or to get married? Or is it 3 months once he gets into the U.S. to get married and 6 months to leave the UK for his Visa to be valid... I believe I just answered my own question... 0_o correct me if I'm wrong! biggrin.png

Theoretically, it means you have until 10/23/13 to have the interview. However, this only really comes into play if you have no interaction with the Embassy before that date. As you will be sending in your forms before that date (which you will, if you have spent your time before getting your NOA2 making sure you have your Police Certificate, I-134 and supporting evidence), it will be automatically renewed should you pass that date. Even if you pass the date, I believe you just need new 'letters of intent' from the petitioner to show that they are still 'on side'.

With the other timings, you have to arrive in the US within 6 months of the issuance of the visa. However, it is actually 6 months from the date of the medical rather than the date that the visa is issued.

Once the beneficiary has entered the US on the K1 visa, they have to marry the petitioner in the US within 90 days.

Edited by Anna Grant

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.