Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

I've just been reading a thread about someone whose I-134 was rejected because the petitioner had not been in the current job very long, even though they made enough money. Granted this was a different country. So I just wanted to pop here and check that London doesn't do this too.My fiance has been in his current job since March 2013, I'm expecting to have our interview in August hopefully, so that will be about 5 months. That's going to be long enough, right?

Should be fine. Get an employer letter.

I've got another quick question, I'll be sending my DS forms later this week (not 2001 or cover letter yet). Do I literally just pop the forms in an envelope and mail them off? Should I include a note of my LND number anywhere? Also I noticed the printed DS 230 still has the horrible bright yellow fields, is there any rule about whether it should be printed colour or not? Thanks! :)

Look at the PDF and see if there is a place to turn off field highlighting in the menu. I haven't filled out a DS form in a long time, but it seems like my passport application did blue fields that printed and I was able to turn them off. I'm sure they get all kinds, so no worries as long as it's filled out.

You can just mail the forms or make a cover letter with you name, case number, etc. I kinda got ho-hum about cover letters and quit doing them. We had a cover letter discussion in the citizenship forum and I was surprised how many had quit being over-achievers like I had.. A cover letter is polite, but not necessary.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks lost_at_sea. For some odd reason when I typed the website into my search bar it wouldn't load.

K1 Visa

NOA2 - 13.04.13

Packet 3 received - 07.05.13

Packet 3 sent - 26.06.13

Packet 3 logged on CEAC - 09.07.13

Medical - 05.07.13

Medical results received at embassy - 10.07.13

DS2001 received at embassy 12.07.13

Last status update on CEAC 10.07.13 - Ready

Packet 4 received - 07.08.13

Interview - 15.08.13 - Approved.

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed 16.11.13

USCIS received applications 18.11.13

Biometrics appointment 13.12.13

Waiting..

Hi guys

Sorry for my really frequent posting! Only just finished uni so I need to catch up on all my forms/immigration stuff.

Does anyone know the address to send my forms for packet 3? I have found two addresses on VJ.

1. Immigrant Visa Branch

United States Embassy

5 Upper Grosvenor Street

London

W1A 2JB

2. Immigrant Visa Unit

US Embassy

24 Grosvenor Square

London W1K 6AH

Any ideas?

Also, I definitely don't need to send DS-230 part II right? Can I just throw it away? :P

Thanks

Laura Clare edited VJ after we discussed those addresses a few days ago. The address was old info and is not there anymore.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Look at the PDF and see if there is a place to turn off field highlighting in the menu. I haven't filled out a DS form in a long time, but it seems like my passport application did blue fields that printed and I was able to turn them off. I'm sure they get all kinds, so no worries as long as it's filled out.

You can just mail the forms or make a cover letter with you name, case number, etc. I kinda got ho-hum about cover letters and quit doing them. We had a cover letter discussion in the citizenship forum and I was surprised how many had quit being over-achievers like I had.. A cover letter is polite, but not necessary.

I did try turning off the field highlighting, but even when on those don't print out. These are separate and only over certain fields like my name.

I've done some searching on here and other folk have asked too, It doesn't seem important. I might just print out a black and white one to compare, and I'll just send whichever looks best.

And I think I'll just throw together a basic cover letter. It feels weird just throwing some forms in an envelope without any kind of guide to the person who opens it.

Thanks! :)

(And sorry about all the questions suddenly, since we got our NOA2 I've been worrying about everything!)

K1 Timeline

02-22-2013: I-129F to VSC

02-28-2013: NOA1

06-10-2013: NOA2 (102 days)

08-16-2013: Interview - Approved!

08-22-2013: Visa in hand

09-14-2013: POE Houston

10-30-2013: Married!

AOS Timeline

12-10-2013: Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

12-16-2013: NOA1 x 3

01-02-2014: Biometrics

02-24-2014: EAD/AP Approved

03-04-2014: Received EAD/AP

03-10-2014: Interview - Approved!

03-18-2014: Received GC

ROC Timeline

12-12-2015: I-751 to CSC

12-17-2015: NOA1

01-14-2016: Biometrics

05-19-2016: Approved!

N-400 Timeline

03-14-2017: N-400 to Texas Lockbox

03-22-2017: NOA1

04-11-2017: Biometrics

04-20-2017: In Line For Interview

07-02-2018: Interview - Approved!

08-22-2018: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

This is an awesome thread - thank you for it! smile.png I feel like I know more from this board than from my attorney...

I have a few questions:

We believe we are nearing NOA2 approval and are trying to be ready:

1- my fiance is making an appt with his NHS doc to get the other immunization he needs. Should he also get a physical at that time from them or just ask for a copy of his history to bring to the medical with him.

2 -I am filling out the I-134 with my attorney and he just asked for my W-2s, 1040s and last three stubs. I don't think we'll have time to order the transcripts. I gave the attorney everything - he doesn't think we'll need the employer letter but should I get one anyway? i've been at my job for 10 years and make plenty to qualify so he only put my salary and not anything else monetary wise...

if I do need it, my employer is huge and has a self service type employment verification. is that enough or should I have my boss type something or does it have to be from HR?

thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Jeannie & Al

This is an awesome thread - thank you for it! smile.png I feel like I know more from this board than from my attorney...

I have a few questions:

We believe we are nearing NOA2 approval and are trying to be ready:

1- my fiance is making an appt with his NHS doc to get the other immunization he needs. Should he also get a physical at that time from them or just ask for a copy of his history to bring to the medical with him.

2 -I am filling out the I-134 with my attorney and he just asked for my W-2s, 1040s and last three stubs. I don't think we'll have time to order the transcripts. I gave the attorney everything - he doesn't think we'll need the employer letter but should I get one anyway? i've been at my job for 10 years and make plenty to qualify so he only put my salary and not anything else monetary wise...

if I do need it, my employer is huge and has a self service type employment verification. is that enough or should I have my boss type something or does it have to be from HR?

thanks in advance. :)

1. You only really need to get vaccination history, unless he has something pre-existing that may need explanation. He doesn't need his GP to give him a physical, unless it'll make him feel better to know of anything amiss before the medical. The medical is essentially a basic physical, and he'll have to have that regardless of whether his GP performs one or not.

2. What you have already sounds sufficient. London doesn't need a ton of evidence for K1/I-134. No doubt Nich-Nick will turn up soon with any caveats. :)

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

1. You only really need to get vaccination history, unless he has something pre-existing that may need explanation. He doesn't need his GP to give him a physical, unless it'll make him feel better to know of anything amiss before the medical. The medical is essentially a basic physical, and he'll have to have that regardless of whether his GP performs one or not.

2. What you have already sounds sufficient. London doesn't need a ton of evidence for K1/I-134. No doubt Nich-Nick will turn up soon with any caveats. smile.png

thanks lost at sea :)

1 - sounds good. he'll skip the physical but he is asking for the history from them to just bring with him to the States since he has an inherited cholesterol thing - it would just be good to have it with him for when he eventually gets here even if they don't ask for it at the medical. :)

another question on vaccinations - it says MMR if you were born in 1957 or later- my fiance said he had separate shots for that..not that one? does that sound familiar and would he need that again? he was born in 1980.

2 - sounds good. thank you! :)

another question on vaccinations - it says MMR if you were born in 1957 or later- my fiance said he had separate shots for that..not that one? does that sound familiar and would he need that again? he was born in 1980

Oh yeah. You mean like he had mumps separately to measles etc? I think that's quite common. So long as his record shows he had all the required parts, it should be fine.

It's just common for most people to have had two doses of the combined MMR jab.

Probably best if he takes the vaccine requirement info with him to the GP and ask them what they think he's missing. That way they'll be able to see if what he's already has is equivalent to what they're asking for.

Worst case scenario, he can have any missing jabs done at the medical (altho it's a bit spendy to do it that way).

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Oh yeah. You mean like he had mumps separately to measles etc? I think that's quite common. So long as his record shows he had all the required parts, it should be fine.

It's just common for most people to have had two doses of the combined MMR jab.

Probably best if he takes the vaccine requirement info with him to the GP and ask them what they think he's missing. That way they'll be able to see if what he's already has is equivalent to what they're asking for.

Worst case scenario, he can have any missing jabs done at the medical (altho it's a bit spendy to do it that way).

Yes, exactly. I just sent him the vaccination PDF and blurb off the sidebar on the London embassy site - good idea for him to bring that with him to the NHS doc. :) we are trying to avoid doing it at the medical but can do if necessary..thanks again! :)

Yes, exactly. I just sent him the vaccination PDF and blurb off the sidebar on the London embassy site - good idea for him to bring that with him to the NHS doc. :) we are trying to avoid doing it at the medical but can do if necessary..thanks again! :)

Just a note on that PDF on the London website about the shots. This one http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/39181/pdfs/vaccinechart.pdf

It is out of date and does not reflect changes made in 2009 and 2010. For a male his age and with it not being flu season, then it is not too bad but it doesn't reflect the need for a tetanus/Diptheria/pertussis version within the last 10 years (or tetanus/Diptheria if already vaccinated with pertussis). And mumps/measles/rubella is two doses to be consdered immune in the US. So keep in mind, what the GP in the UK thinks doesn't count because you are meeting US requirements as set out by the ACIP and Center for Disease Control. On varicella "not available in the UK" is fine for those getting a spouse visa like Lost at Sea. It is waived, but for a K1 who needs no shots to get a non-immigrant visa, there is opportunity to get varicella in the US prior to filing for permanent residence. However, if you have had chickenpox, the shot is waived. You need to report that at the medical to get the waiver marked.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Just a note on that PDF on the London website about the shots. This one http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/39181/pdfs/vaccinechart.pdf

It is out of date and does not reflect changes made in 2009 and 2010. For a male his age and with it not being flu season, then it is not too bad but it doesn't reflect the need for a tetanus/Diptheria/pertussis version within the last 10 years (or tetanus/Diptheria if already vaccinated with pertussis). And mumps/measles/rubella is two doses to be consdered immune in the US. So keep in mind, what the GP in the UK thinks doesn't count because you are meeting US requirements as set out by the ACIP and Center for Disease Control. On varicella "not available in the UK" is fine for those getting a spouse visa like Lost at Sea. It is waived, but for a K1 who needs no shots to get a non-immigrant visa, there is opportunity to get varicella in the US prior to filing for permanent residence. However, if you have had chickenpox, the shot is waived. You need to report that at the medical to get the waiver marked.

thanks Nich-Nick - this is great info. :) a little scary to see that the chart is out of date for several years. :D

So just to make sure I understand what I think our next steps are (hoping we get the NOA2 very soon).

Me: We have the I134 ready to go with accompanying tax/salary proof (w-2s,1040s and 1099s for three years) and last 3 pay stubs. Will also attach most recent stub right before sending.

My UK fiance:

Getting shots needed at NHS next week

has downloaded and pre-filled out the packet forms ahead of time

-Once we get NOA2 approval, we follow up in a few days and keep calling to get NVC number which we need to book medical.

-we mail out I-134 to London embassy (do I also send a copy of all to my fiance?)

- once we get medical date, go to medical, then mail the downloaded forms to arrive at embassy same time as medical results (3-4 business days).

- then call to get interview appt

did I get that right? thanks in advance. :)

thanks Nich-Nick - this is great info. :) a little scary to see that the chart is out of date for several years. :D

So just to make sure I understand what I think our next steps are (hoping we get the NOA2 very soon).

Me: We have the I134 ready to go with accompanying tax/salary proof (w-2s,1040s and 1099s for three years) and last 3 pay stubs. Will also attach most recent stub right before sending.

My UK fiance:

Getting shots needed at NHS next week

has downloaded and pre-filled out the packet forms ahead of time

-Once we get NOA2 approval, we follow up in a few days and keep calling to get NVC number which we need to book medical.

-we mail out I-134 to London embassy (do I also send a copy of all to my fiance?)

- once we get medical date, go to medical, then mail the downloaded forms to arrive at embassy same time as medical results (3-4 business days).

- then call to get interview appt

did I get that right? thanks in advance. :)

There is a list in the first post of this thread of what to do so check that.

You do not have to call NVC. They will send a notice to the petitioner. You may call NVC but having a medical before London is ready for you isn't the best idea in my opinion.

You do not mail the I-134 to the embassy.

You do not call for an interview appointment. They assign one. See post #6 in this thread. And do go to the link in red for the London website specific instructions. Read and click every topic on the left and right panes and click every link in the text that is offered as "more information." The medical is not the first thing done. It should ideally be 1) application forms, 2) medical 3) DS-2001 to say you are ready.

Also, what you have for the affidavit of support is fine. I've ordered transcripts several times and always get them in a week. You have until the interview really or at least can get some for adjustment of status, so might as well order. It's likely going to be a September interview at the soonest if NVC doesn't hold you up like they do at times.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi! So I'm still trogging along trying to get an interview.. dry.png

Unfortunately when I went to have my medical exam they needed a further letter from my medical doctor with details of my medical history, so this has held up my medical results being couriered to the embassy by another couple of weeks, so annoying.. However, I am going to get the necessary documentation sent in tomorrow, so the embassy should have everything they need by next week.

I said this before, but I'm kind of kicking myself for not writing a wedding date on my cover letter.. I assumed I was so far ahead of time it wasn't going to be a problem, but I do in fact have a wedding date, which is October 16th. Assuming all goes well and my documents get processed in an efficient fashion, do you think I'll get my interview in plenty of time? I've kind of given up caring when I get over to America, as long as it's before October 16th!

If it's later than that (I don't think it will be.. I just get panicky sometimes), it's going to be a real problem. Someone mentioned that you can phone the embassy and beg for an email/code thing to have the interview brought forward?

If anyone can give me a recent experience of how long it took them to get from medical exam to interview I'd be grateful. Also if anyone can tell me what the story is if I have to beg them to give me an earlier interview date, that would be great too.. Everything is sent in to the embassy and ready to go, other than my medical results at this point. I think I'll be ok! October is still over 3 months away. Surely it wouldn't take that long?

If anyone can give me a recent experience of how long it took them to get from medical exam to interview I'd be grateful. Also if anyone can tell me what the story is if I have to beg them to give me an earlier interview date, that would be great too.. Everything is sent in to the embassy and ready to go, other than my medical results at this point. I think I'll be ok! October is still over 3 months away. Surely it wouldn't take that long?

My medical was 30 May and my interview was 18 June (notice of it was posted out on 4 June) . However, in my covering letter (I sent all the paperwork in advance of my medical) I had included the date of my wedding (July 12) and attached proof of my booking. Whether this made a difference, I don't know. other people around my time who put later dates or no date at all, seem to get dates about 2 weeks later than mine.

Before I had received notification of my interview, I had phoned the extortion line and begged for the code to e-mail the Embassy. I got the code and it is valid for one week. I didn't use it to ask for an early interview date but I did use it to e-mail the Embassy to ask permission for my fiancé to accompany me to the interview. The responded to my email in about 2 hours!

Timeline

There is a list in the first post of this thread of what to do so check that

dang - may need to get my reading comprehension checked as I know I read that post and some of the first few pages of this thread severl times - sorry!. oops8rh.gif

You do not have to call NVC. They will send a notice to the petitioner. You may call NVC but having a medical before London is ready for you isn't the best idea in my opinion.

I realize we don't have to, but I was under the impression if you are trying to move things along as quickly as possible you would want to?

We do have a few things that having this move as quickly as possible:

1 - we haven't set a wedding date but we have a family vacation with my dad and siblings that was already booked from last year in mid August. My dad's health is failing even moreso lately with Parkinson's disease and some other blood clot issues and this may be the only time my fiance will get to spend with my dad other than meeting him for 1 day another time (my dad doesn't live close to me).

2 - my UK fiance is a primary school teacher. He did not take a contract last year so is not paid thru July and August and if he's not here by August, would not be able to take a few of the teaching positions here that a few people had possibilities for him and he would then miss out on either all this year or half unless someone gets ill or goes on pregnancy leave. He obviously could tutor or do something else but it's not ideal.

I've read differing things on what counts as financial hardship and I doubt we'd qualify for that even though not having him here by August would greatly affect our financial situation..but would we be able to notify the embassy once the NVC number is assigned to see if there was anything to do to expedite?

You do not mail the I-134 to the embassy.

I think I misread this: Start filling out the I-134 Affidavit of Support. It will have to be signed and mailed to the UK the slow way. Get familiar with the form. When the NOA2 is received is a good time to finalize it with the supporting documents and get it in the mail.

so it just gets mailed to my fiance?

You do not call for an interview appointment. They assign one. See post #6 in this thread. And do go to the link in red for the London website specific instructions. Read and click every topic on the left and right panes and click every link in the text that is offered as "more information." The medical is not the first thing done. It should ideally be 1) application forms, 2) medical 3) DS-2001 to say you are ready.

Also, what you have for the affidavit of support is fine. I've ordered transcripts several times and always get them in a week. You have until the interview really or at least can get some for adjustment of status, so might as well order. It's likely going to be a September interview at the soonest if NVC doesn't hold you up like they do at times.

Ugh, september would be brutal. Our lawyer told us 4 weeks from the time we got NOA2 approval but he also said almost always before 5 months to get the NOA2.

I will definitely go back and read more on those links.

When I tried to order transcripts this weekend, the phone number was down but I ordered them today smile.png

thanks again for your info - and for your patience. smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.