Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

Half way down the form ds-157K it says:

"The following documents must be attached in order to apply for a fiancé nonimmigrant visa: -your birth certificate - marriage certificate (if any) - evidence of engagement to you fiancé - evidence of financial support - divorce decree (if any) - death certificate of spouse (if any) - birth certificates of all children listed - police certificates"

So if I wasn't on visa journey, I would read that form and it says clearly to attach all those things to it...but I'm not supposed to?

Why do they make it so convoluted!

Thankyou so so much for your answers

You said the website told you to send your birth certificate with the DS-230. That's why I said I hadn't seen that on the website. Yes, form DS-156K (there is no 157k) says attach documents. Basically follow the London instructions. They will "attach" your documents by adding them to the file when you bring them to the interview. The first time you are called to a window, a document collecting person will put everything in the folder and pass to the interview person. When you get called to the interview window, all will be "attached" so to speak. Don't knock yourself out over additional proof of relationship and photos if you already included a bit in the petition. It would be extremely rare for them to even want to see anything of that nature.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I just called the DOS and they said London received my medical results and then he said the status just says 'processing' on the system. Any ideas what that means? Are they looking at the forms?

I just called the DOS and they said London received my medical results and then he said the status just says 'processing' on the system. Any ideas what that means? Are they looking at the forms?

I think it just means you're in line to get an interview, but they haven't gotten to you yet. What wedding date did you put? When did you send the DS-2001? I also don't think they look at the forms much, except to see you've sent everything.. The interviewer does that as you are walking from the big room to the back.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

I think it just means you're in line to get an interview, but they haven't gotten to you yet. What wedding date did you put? When did you send the DS-2001? I also don't think they look at the forms much, except to see you've sent everything.. The interviewer does that as you are walking from the big room to the back.

I sent it on 5th March in the same package is packet 3. I put 21st April as the wedding date.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Uuurgh, sorry to ask a really stupid question, I just read almost the whole thread and made a whole bunch of notes and ultimately ended up giving myself brain melt-down :blush:

Is it possible to schedule the medical just by obtaining the case number from the NVC? Or do you have to wait until the beneficiary receives word from the embassy?

I want to get my medical scheduled as quickly as possible but I'm not entirely sure at what stage it is sensible to do so. Obviously you can't send off any of the forms until you're sure the embassy has your info all logged in.. Crikey, it's so confusing! :blink: Sorry to be thick!

Uuurgh, sorry to ask a really stupid question, I just read almost the whole thread and made a whole bunch of notes and ultimately ended up giving myself brain melt-down :blush:

Is it possible to schedule the medical just by obtaining the case number from the NVC? Or do you have to wait until the beneficiary receives word from the embassy?

I want to get my medical scheduled as quickly as possible but I'm not entirely sure at what stage it is sensible to do so. Obviously you can't send off any of the forms until you're sure the embassy has your info all logged in.. Crikey, it's so confusing! :blink: Sorry to be thick!

Yes, you can schedule the medical with just the case number from the NVC. Nich-Nick will know more about this but my only concern would be if your medical results arrive at the US Embassy in London before your case from NVC. The doctors who do the medical usually need a week's notice and then it takes 5 days to get the results to the embassy.

The K1 flowchart suggests it might take 1 to 4 weeks for your case to get to the Embassy and then a further week for the Embassy to process it.

What would happen if the medical results turned up at the Embassy with a case number that they did not know about yet?

Sorry - I don't think I've helped at all there. I've just asked more questions.

Let's wait until someone who knows what they're talking about comes along :whistle:

Edited by Anna Grant

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Haha, thanks anyway! I guess I'm just trying to find out whether, in reality, it's best to wait until you get your letter until you send forms and/or try to schedule the medical. I wouldn't want to take any unnecessary risks and end up getting in a muddle with the embassy!

Timeline

We did our medical before the paperwork. We just waited a couple weeks after getting the LND number before scheduling it. You can always call the DOS to see if London has the electronic file too.

AOS to K1

04/30/14 RECEIVED

05/15/14 ACCEPTED FINGERPRINT FEE

07/12/14 EAD/AP

08/13/14 NPIW

04/03/15 RFE FOR MEDICAL AND VACCINATION (I-693)

06/29/15 RFE DUE DATE

07/11/15 EAD/AP EXPIRATION

Haha, thanks anyway! I guess I'm just trying to find out whether, in reality, it's best to wait until you get your letter until you send forms and/or try to schedule the medical. I wouldn't want to take any unnecessary risks and end up getting in a muddle with the embassy!

Scheduling an appointment is fine, but maybe make it 2 weeks off to give your file time to catch up. I wouldnt actually attend the medical while the file is still at NVC, but no harm in making the appointment. If you don't have a major deadline, then keeping in London's preferred order is probably best...meaning wait until they have your file logged before they start getting forms or medical results on you.

What is the best way for my fiance to notify the Embassy that I'll be attending the interview? Less than two weeks away (8 April).

Some request it in the cover letter of the DS-2001. But since there is already a date, you have to call the line that charges you per minute and request they give you an email code to request it in an email.

If that doesnt work out, you might try what I did with no prior permission. When we got to the front of the line outside, I handed my opened US passport to the man with the clipboard and said "I'm a US citizen. May I accompany my fiancé inside for his visa interview?". He said yes. If you dont get in, there is a coffee shop nearby or shops on Oxford Street. Go shop a couple of hours then celebrate the approval together and enjoy London together.

I suggested trying that to somebody in another thread a few weeks ago because the interview was only 2 days away so she probably wouldn't have time for a response. I later asked her if she got in. She said she chickened out and didn't ask. Some get in, and some don't, but they don't arrest you for asking. It also depends on security levels. If the President was in town, they might tighten it all down.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

They request a UK sized passport for the police certificate, so it might. They put the passport photo on the certificate. Not sure if they'll cut it down or not.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Timeline

when i sent off for my police certificate, i sent a usa sized passport photo (2x2), as that was what i had, that shouldnt be a major problem right? they could trim it down??

They request a UK sized passport for the police certificate, so it might. They put the passport photo on the certificate. Not sure if they'll cut it down or not.

They scan the Photo onto the Police Certificate, if you haven't heard back from them it maybe ok but you can call them to ask if it's a problem. Once they receive the application they email you to advise received with a reference number.

Edited by KLB

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.