Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

$1070?? What exactly are we paying for? Being allowed to stay in the country where we can't work or drive whilst we're waiting for a green card :/

I was just complaining to my parents that we'll be paying for the ability to pay taxes lol.

You can drive though while you're waiting for a green card :) Check what state you live in, but mine is 90 days, then you need a driver's license and all you need to get that is a social security number and some evidence of residency which luckily, is free :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was just complaining to my parents that we'll be paying for the ability to pay taxes lol.

You can drive though while you're waiting for a green card :) Check what state you live in, but mine is 90 days, then you need a driver's license and all you need to get that is a social security number and some evidence of residency which luckily, is free :)

Really? I am pleased for you. What State will you be in? See I have scoured VJ looking for answers & it seems that because I will be in Texas (fingers crossed!) the laws there are much stricter & as soon as my I-94 is up, I can't use my UK license to drive any more. If I am a Texas resident, apparently I have to take the driving test from scratch again (having read info posted by Nick-Nich also in Texas) which is honestly making me feel a bit stressed as I am not used to driving automatic or the other side of the road! I know I'll get used to it eventually but it's just practise isn't it? Sorry if this is off topic & feel free to move...

$1070?? What exactly are we paying for? Being allowed to stay in the country where we can't work or drive whilst we're waiting for a green card :/

You are paying to be a permanent resident of the USA who can do just about everything but vote or be president. That would include driving, working, filing income tax, going through the citizens line when you return internationally, high medical costs....but let's not get into one of those NHS discussions in this thread. Find one of the others to jump in on.

Drive on the Uk license for awhile. You are just a visitor until AOS is granted. The state requirements to drive vary significantly. Those questions can be found in the Moving Here and Your New Life in America forum. Also off topic for this thread.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Really? I am pleased for you. What State will you be in? See I have scoured VJ looking for answers & it seems that because I will be in Texas (fingers crossed!) the laws there are much stricter & as soon as my I-94 is up, I can't use my UK license to drive any more. If I am a Texas resident, apparently I have to take the driving test from scratch again (having read info posted by Nick-Nich also in Texas) which is honestly making me feel a bit stressed as I am not used to driving automatic or the other side of the road! I know I'll get used to it eventually but it's just practise isn't it? Sorry if this is off topic & feel free to move...

Hey, I'm going over to Texas and the driving side of things has become a big topic of discussion for me.

YES you have to take a full test again. That part is 100% guaranteed.

You can drive for 1 year on your British drivers licence, however I'm trying to clarify if that is 1 year as a visitor or 1 year as someone who is living there. I'll let you know.

As for getting a licence, the DPS requirements state that they will accept an I-797 to show you are adjusting your status.

The link is on the DPS website here and specifically says the following on page six

Applicants for adjustment of status

Note: These are individuals applying to become lawful permanent residents.

♦ Immigration documentation indicating this status.

This documentation can include, but is not limited to a form I-797 indicating a pending I-485 or pending application for adjustment of status.

It states you'd get a limited term Drivers Licence or State ID with this information

Timeline

regarding driving. call Progressive Insurance. they are pretty much the only company who insure foreign nationals on an international license.

the driving test in general is stupidly easy compared to the UK.

Edited by Elora&Robert

K1

02/09/12 I-129F Sent
02/15/12 NOA1 Received
06/29/12 NOA2 - APPROVED (135 days No RFE's)
07/26/12 UK Medical
07/28/12 Packet 3 received
07/31/12 Visa Fee paid & Packet 3 Sent. (with DS-2001)
08/21/12 Packet 4 received
09/07/12 K1 Interview - APPROVED (205 days No RFE's)
09/13/12 Passport/Visa & Package Received
12/10/12 P.O.E in Las Vegas, NV
12/12/12 Got Marriage License
12/14/12 MARRIED

AOS

12/27/12 Applied for SSC
12/28/12 Received Marriage Certificate
12/28/12 Recieved Marriage Certificate
01/02/13 Received SSC
01/07/13 AOS Sent
01/10/13 NOA Received
02/07/13 Biometrics
03/11/13 EAD & AP Approved (63 days)
03/14/13 EAD & AP card received
03/27/13 AOS Interview - *Error with Medical Certificate*

05/23/13 US Medical

05/29/13 New Medical Certificate Sent

06/07/13 AOS Approved

06/12/13 Green Card Arrived

Timeline

Hey, I'm going over to Texas and the driving side of things has become a big topic of discussion for me.

YES you have to take a full test again. That part is 100% guaranteed.

You can drive for 1 year on your British drivers licence, however I'm trying to clarify if that is 1 year as a visitor or 1 year as someone who is living there. I'll let you know.

As for getting a licence, the DPS requirements state that they will accept an I-797 to show you are adjusting your status.

The link is on the DPS website here and specifically says the following on page six

It states you'd get a limited term Drivers Licence or State ID with this information

Thanks Nick & Photomile. Firstly yes you're right Nick, I suppose we're paying to be given the right to live in another country that is not our own & why should it be free? The fee just hit me as I knew the fees added up over time but that was a big one.

In terms of driving in Texas after entering on a K1, this is my understanding :

- We can use our UK licenses for 1 year as visitors ONLY (Doesn't apply to us so if you get pulled over for anything & lie & say you're just visiting, you are obviously lying to a Police officer which I personally could never do)

- Immigration is different, I believe it is 90 days or until your I-94 is basically up, hopefully you will have gotten married in that period before your K1 expires, then you apply for AOS & the temporary license with proof that you are in fact adjusting your status.

- Once status is adjusted & you are a lawful resident, the State requires you to take the driving test from square one (poo)

Let's not discuss this here any more...meet you in another thread Photomile, it's called Driver's Permit I think....

Timeline

regarding driving. call Progressive Insurance. they are pretty much the only company who insure foreign nationals on an international license.

the driving test in general is stupidly easy compared to the UK.

Thanks Robert. I also researched this & apparently (I may be wrong) the wonderful State of Texas is one of the few States that doesn't accept international licenses from permanent residents...believe me I have looked at every avenue to not have to re-take my test like I'm 17 again lol. I have heard from everyone how easy the test apparently is, that is worrying & comforting at the same time lol, Thanks again

Timeline

Sorry guys but do I need to give them a copy of my I-134 and the supporting evidence?

For your interview? Yes I am afraid so. Not a copy but an actual signed form from your fiance which they will need to send by post. Read the instructions on the evidence you need to provide, i.e letter from employer, pay checks, bank statements, tax transcripts. You're up next week yes? You still have time so get your fiance to FEDEX them overnight in the next 24-48 hours.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

For your interview? Yes I am afraid so. Not a copy but an actual signed form from your fiance which they will need to send by post. Read the instructions on the evidence you need to provide, i.e letter from employer, pay checks, bank statements, tax transcripts. You're up next week yes? You still have time so get your fiance to FEDEX them overnight in the next 24-48 hours.

Whoops, I think I wrote my original post wrong!

I absolutely 100% have the original signed I-134 and supporting evidence in front of me. (phwew, started to panic there!) , what I meant was, in addition to this, does the interviewing officer want a photocopy of the I-134 and supporting evidence? (I think no, but just double checking)

Timeline

Whoops, I think I wrote my original post wrong!

I absolutely 100% have the original signed I-134 and supporting evidence in front of me. (phwew, started to panic there!) , what I meant was, in addition to this, does the interviewing officer want a photocopy of the I-134 and supporting evidence? (I think no, but just double checking)

No I don't think so, they want original forms but there's no harm in taking a copy. Also you may want to keep it for your own records. I have made duplicates of every form I have filled out since we began the I-129F, signed & everything so if one goes missing or you have to provide exact duplicates (sometimes they ask to see that) which in some cases you do with packet 3, then you can just pull one out. I always worry something might get damaged where it's not readable so I always keep copies. Good luck :)

Timeline

Follow up question for the affidavit of support....how old can the information be? I have read before people have turned there's in up to 4 months old. I just wanted to double check...what has everyones experience been?? Of course I want mine to be as recent as possible but I also want it to get there as soon as possible. Any information would be helpful, thanks!

Timeline

Photomile, at the interview they don't ask for a copy of the I-134, but I took a copy for my own records. They also asked me for the letter from his employer and then in the interview the woman had obviously read it, as she asked me questions about where he worked and what he did.

I didn't photocopy the supporting evidence, w2 tax-transcripts and pay-slips and I wasn't asked to show any of it. BUT I think this depends on how how far you are over the 'amount you have to earn' and the interviewer at the time. Every case is different!

s.m.1804, my fiance sent me the I-134 May 16th, 2 days after we got our NOA2. I had my interview August 2nd and nothing was said about it being 2 and a half months old. However my fiance was with me at the interview and the night before we printed off another copy of the I-134 so if needed he could sign it there right infront of the interviewer. The date wasn't mentioned, but she did ask my fiance if he was willing to support my son and me.

Timeline:

Dec 31st 2011- I-129F sent
August 2nd 2012- INTERVIEW- APPROVED
August 10th 2012- Visas received
August 21st 2012- P.O.E Boston!

September 11th 2012- Applied for SSN.
September 16th 2012- MARRIED!!!
September 17th 2012- Received SSN.
October 26th 2012- Sent off AOS forms.

January 16th 2013- EAD and AP card issued.
January 26th 2013- Card received in mail.

May 29th 2013- Service request, as outside of processing times.

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

July 5th 2013- Green card arrives :)

August 22nd 2014- Daughter Born!

April 17th 2015- I-751 Sent.

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

June 2nd 2015- Biometrics Appt.

February 2nd 2016- I-751 APPROVED! 10 Year Green card issued!

February 22nd 2019 Applied for Citizenship! 

March 14th 2019 - Biometrics appt.

April 23rd 2019 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!  It took 60 days!!!

Timeline

Photomile, at the interview they don't ask for a copy of the I-134, but I took a copy for my own records. They also asked me for the letter from his employer and then in the interview the woman had obviously read it, as she asked me questions about where he worked and what he did.

I didn't photocopy the supporting evidence, w2 tax-transcripts and pay-slips and I wasn't asked to show any of it. BUT I think this depends on how how far you are over the 'amount you have to earn' and the interviewer at the time. Every case is different!

s.m.1804, my fiance sent me the I-134 May 16th, 2 days after we got our NOA2. I had my interview August 2nd and nothing was said about it being 2 and a half months old. However my fiance was with me at the interview and the night before we printed off another copy of the I-134 so if needed he could sign it there right infront of the interviewer. The date wasn't mentioned, but she did ask my fiance if he was willing to support my son and me.

I don't have a letter from my fiances' employer but I have all the other evidence. As long as you have at least 3 types of evidence, that should be sufficient shouldn't it? My fiance earns way over the amount necessary & has provided details of his salary as well as other savings & assets. I just want to check if the employer letter is mandatory or not as from reading past posts, my understanding was that the supporting evidence could be a variety of paperwork as long as it proves your fiance is financially stable & able & willing to support you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.