gugulu

K1 overseas issue!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ivory Coast
Timeline

Hello everyone i just signed up today! My name is Noemi and i'll be forever grateful to whoever can help me!

I'm a U.S citizen but due to my fathers job ( he's a retire PN1 from the US Navy forces overseas, Italy to be precisely ) i've met my Fiancee' 2 years and a half ago and we have been seeing each other since we met.

My boyfriend is Italian and he just proposed to me, but we want to get married and start a new life in the United States. Now here's all the questions:

- Can fill up the I-129F form and file it trough the PO mailing box on the base we are stationed, so they can send it out to the USCIS office in the United States?

- I'm currently employed as a clerk in the military base where my family is living, but i don't have a job offer in the United States yet. What i do have though is a Bank Account with all my savings amount ( which is almost over 20 000 dollars and i'm planning to deposit more ) Can i fill in by myself the I-134 form or do i need a co-sponsor? If i do need a co sponsor, do we both need to fill in the I-864 form?

- Eventually my aunt ( she's currently living in the states ) has offered to be a co sponsor for my Fiancee, she will also provide both me and my Fiancee an accommodation at her place till we get married and we find a job. Does she need to provide a cover letter where she swear that she will accomplish what she said?

- My Fiancee is currently a free lancer sound engineer, he records and masters cd for bands but he can work trough internet as long his costumers provide him the tracks for their cd, can this help and guarantee that he will not be a public charge after entering the US?

- Since i don't live in the States now ( due to my father job ) do i need my aunt ( where me and my Fiancee are going to stay till we get everything set ) taxes returns or my parents taxes return?

If someone can help me out it would be awesome, these doubts are the only things that are holding me back to fill in the forms

p.s i tried to call the US consulate in Naples but apparently they don't answer :angry: via phone and i've also called the US Embassy in Rome and after spending 15 euro tax fee they " didn't know what to tell me ". :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your post is really difficult to read, in future I recommend keeping the font a normal size and using paragraphs.

1. Yes, you can send it from Italy.

2. You need a co-sponsor, as you would need close to $60'000 in assets to sponsor on assets. Your aunt will have to fill in a I-134 and give you proof of her income (paystubs, letter from employer) and 3 years proof of tax filing.

3. Freelancer income is difficult to prove, I'd go with the co-sponsor.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

~ hard of hearing... turned up the volume! :lol:

Question: Do you file a tax return in the States? I ask because I would believe a military base in another country is still considered U.S.A., so as long as your income meets the requirements you are good to go.

K-1 does NOT require 3 years tax returns, only 1 year - the most current return.

Lastly your Fiance's income is irrelevant only your income (or co-sponsor) is considered with the K-1.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Marry in Italy seem the best bet.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Sorry for the big font and the confusing post, i'm still new i'll do better next time :). I also don't have a health insurance because my dad is a retire navy so i still go to the local hospital in the base when i'm sick, i still own a military i.d card because i'm not 21 yet. Can that be a problem?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

That is not a bad idea to marry in Italy, if you are going to be there for awhile more it would actually be a pretty good idea in many ways; as a spouse they get a GC right away upon entering the States and the costs are a little cheaper doing the married route.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Have you tried calling the uscis military help line, they are fast on giving you answers.

Im in the Navy and i know when you are on a base overseas you dont pay any kind of taxes. Therefore you will need your aunt to be your cosponser if her income meets the above poverty amount for a household of 3 which would be used to support that is enough for her you and your fiance. I think is better for you to get marry in italy is a beautiful country, and the l-130 for spouse is less expensive and faster. He would receive a green card as soon as he comes to the states and would be able to legaly work in the US he would also be able to travel back to italy when he gets his green card.

Our Timeline

03/30/2012: Married

USCIS

07/18/2012: I-130 Sent

07/19/2012: USPS Delivery Confirmation

07/23/2012: NOA1 Text

07/24/2012: Check Cashed

07/30/2012: NOA1 Hard Copy

Yes but still due to my dad job i don't think i'm a permanent resident in the United States, we always moved all around the world! Would that affect my petition in case i get married in italy?

If upu have a passport that says your nationality is United States of America then you are a US Citizen even though you guys traveled a lot doesn't mean you not a citizen unless you was born abroad and your dad wasn't a us citizen at the time. which i doubt since to be assigned an overseas station your dad had to be a citizen other wise he wouldn't have been traveling all around without one. so check your passport, if you was born in the us then you a citizen, if you was born abroad and at the time your dad was a us citizen then you are a us citizen and last but not least if your dad became a us citizen before you turned 18 then that makes you a us citizen. you might fall under one of these so please check. You threw everyone off with that last thing you said.

Our Timeline

USCIS

Timeline

If upu have a passport that says your nationality is United States of America then you are a US Citizen even though you guys traveled a lot doesn't mean you not a citizen unless you was born abroad and your dad wasn't a us citizen at the time. which i doubt since to be assigned an overseas station your dad had to be a citizen other wise he wouldn't have been traveling all around without one. so check your passport, if you was born in the us then you a citizen, if you was born abroad and at the time your dad was a us citizen then you are a us citizen and last but not least if your dad became a us citizen before you turned 18 then that makes you a us citizen. you might fall under one of these so please check. You threw everyone off with that last thing you said.

Oh no i'm sorry i didn't mean to say i'm not a US citizen, i was born in the United States and my dad is a US citizen, i apologize if i was not clear enough this is all new to me. What i meant to say is that i don't own an address in that United States! Because all the forms that i've downloaded ask to fill in the address section! I'm sorry really i didn't mean to confuse you all! Thank You for all the help!

Oh no i'm sorry i didn't mean to say i'm not a US citizen, i was born in the United States and my dad is a US citizen, i apologize if i was not clear enough this is all new to me. What i meant to say is that i don't own an address in that United States! Because all the forms that i've downloaded ask to fill in the address section! I'm sorry really i didn't mean to confuse you all! Thank You for all the help!

Ohkey i understand now, to be sure about this you defenetly going to have to call the uscis military help line. They will give you the correct answer without asuming stuff, is pretty quick it would only take u less then 5 min. If you cant get a hold of them feel free to let me know and i will gladly call and ask them myself.

Edited by Martha&Alex

Our Timeline

USCIS

Timeline

Ohkey i understand now, to be sure about this you defenetly going to have to call the uscis military help line. They will give you the correct answer without asuming stuff, is pretty quick it would only take u less then 5 min. If you cant get a hold of them feel free to let me know and i will gladly call and ask them myself.

Thank you so much! My and my Fiancee discussed the situation and we decided to get married here to get stuff "easier", when i fill in the I-130 form do i have to fill in the I-129F form too?

Thank you so much! My and my Fiancee discussed the situation and we decided to get married here to get stuff "easier", when i fill in the I-130 form do i have to fill in the I-129F form too?

Not at all just follow the Cr1 guides and thats it. Im glad you guys decided to get it done over there the Cr1 is faster and less expensive and theres not as much evidence needed compared to the k1 that was the best ya'll could of done. I didnt get married back in my country because i was missing some documents which ive never nad and is a hassel to obtain.

I wish you good luck and may god bless you and your fiance.

Our Timeline

USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.