TiffnTom

What options exist for being together while we await I-130?

12 posts in this topic

Hello! My husband and I are newly signed up to the forums, although we have been reading them for months. I am a USC and he is from the UK. We were married in November 2011 and filed the I-130 in december. We received the NOA1, but have not yet received the NOA2. My question is in regards to the flexibility in my travel to the UK while we await the I-130.

My husband is working in the UK and I just came back to the US from the UK after a 5 week visit. I am planning to return to the UK after only being gone for 3 weeks and am planning to stay for 5 months. My ticket is already purchased. I will not be working while in the UK, but of course I would like to. Is it possible to obtain a UK spousal visa that would allow me to work there while the I-130 is pending? Spousal visas to the UK are much more readily obtainable than those to the US, but I don't know how such an action would effect the I-130. We are just looking for any way to be together while we wait without simply flying back and forth all the time. It does not seem like there are any good options for the waiting period. We considered the K3, but based on what we've read here and elsewhere, it doesn't seem like it's all that much quicker and it does seem to complicate matters. If anyone has any insight on ways to deal with this please let us know.

One other question - will my husband's travel to the US be restricted at any time during the processing? I understand that he will have to travel with proof that he will be returning to the UK, but is there any time during which he is actually barred from traveling?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I have never been so overwhelmed as I am when reading about this stuff....it sure ain't easy.

Best,

Tiff & Tom

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to UK regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Spousal visas to the UK are much more readily obtainable than those to the US, but I don't know how such an action would effect the I-130.

USCIS won't care as long as you maintain a permanent home in the US (as described in many places on this site, could be anything from owning a house or car, to having a US-based phone or maintaining a current drivers license).

We considered the K3, but based on what we've read here and elsewhere, it doesn't seem like it's all that much quicker and it does seem to complicate matters.

K3 is dead. You're on the right track.

One other question - will my husband's travel to the US be restricted at any time during the processing? I understand that he will have to travel with proof that he will be returning to the UK, but is there any time during which he is actually barred from traveling?

Shouldn't be any restrictions, but make sure he doesn't overstay (ie 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program).

Our timeline:

01/11/12 - Submitted I-130s to Moscow USCIS in person

01/12/12 - Had interview with Moscow USCIS officer to establish bonafide marriage

01/12/12 - I-130s approved and passed to US Consulate

01/13/12 - IV Unit in Moscow received approved petition

01/23/12 - We received confirmation that I-130s were approved by USCIS

01/24/12 - We received package notification from post office

01/26/12 - Picked up "package" - notifications from IV Unit with case numbers

01/26/12 - Set interview date online

02/01/12 - Passed medical exams

02/02/12 - Received police record

02/09/12 - Interview... APPROVED!

02/13/12 - Visa delivered

02/23/12 - POE Chicago

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can get UK spouse Visa and their processing time is 2weeks to 3 months. Then you will b granted two years visa nd you can work if u want to on spouse visa,after that you can get permanent visa.

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello! My husband and I are newly signed up to the forums, although we have been reading them for months. I am a USC and he is from the UK. We were married in November 2011 and filed the I-130 in december. We received the NOA1, but have not yet received the NOA2. My question is in regards to the flexibility in my travel to the UK while we await the I-130.

My husband is working in the UK and I just came back to the US from the UK after a 5 week visit. I am planning to return to the UK after only being gone for 3 weeks and am planning to stay for 5 months. My ticket is already purchased. I will not be working while in the UK, but of course I would like to. Is it possible to obtain a UK spousal visa that would allow me to work there while the I-130 is pending? Spousal visas to the UK are much more readily obtainable than those to the US, but I don't know how such an action would effect the I-130. We are just looking for any way to be together while we wait without simply flying back and forth all the time. It does not seem like there are any good options for the waiting period. We considered the K3, but based on what we've read here and elsewhere, it doesn't seem like it's all that much quicker and it does seem to complicate matters. If anyone has any insight on ways to deal with this please let us know.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I have never been so overwhelmed as I am when reading about this stuff....it sure ain't easy.

Best,

Tiff & Tom

It's not easy hang in there come to the UK and be happy next to him!

I-130 SENT 2012/01/20

I-130 NOA1 2012/01/24

I-130 NOA2 2012/06/12

NVC receiv 2012/07/02

NVC case # 2012/07/13

DS-3032 emailed 2012/07/13

AOS paid 2012/07/20

AOS sent 2012/07/23

DS-3032 Accepted 2012/07/24

IV paid 2012/07/25

IV/DS-230 sent 2012/07/26

RFE missing pay stubs 2012/08/03

Case completed 2012/08/16

Inteview Date 2012/10/16

221g (new co-sponsor and proof of domicile for my son) crazy stuff!

Best,

Tiff & Tom

Your visit to the UK will not affect your CR1 visa. The CR1 is the way to go and the K3 is dead.It had been created to speed up the process but it didn't work. You are lucky to have the option of spending time with him over there. We relied on visits about every 6 weeks for a couple of days while we waited. It was difficult being apart but for half of our first year of marriage but we will have many more together. This whole process makes the relationship stronger because you feel like you made it through it together. He should be able to visit you here on VWP if the visa does not come through while you are over there. Best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It will not be that easy for him to visit the US while you wait! Yes he will have to prove his intent to return to the UK but they can still deny him entry, they don't want to risk him getting a denial on his visa app while in the country and then decide to stay illegaly... The VWP is no guarantee to get in, they have their right to put him on next plane back to the uk...

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

It will not be that easy for him to visit the US while you wait! Yes he will have to prove his intent to return to the UK but they can still deny him entry, they don't want to risk him getting a denial on his visa app while in the country and then decide to stay illegaly... The VWP is no guarantee to get in, they have their right to put him on next plane back to the uk...

It's true it's not guaranteed that he will be able to visit the US but most people visiting from the UK during both K1 and CR1 visa applications have had few issues. I visited my husband about 5 times while we were waiting for the visa to be processed - trips ranging from a weekend to almost 3 months.

I always had the stack of papers showing I had intentions to return (lease, letter from boss etc) but I was never asked for any of it. They only ever wanted to see my return ticket. I was always worried on the flight over which wasn't pleasant of course.

If you can go to the UK for that length of time then I would say go for it. You'll have a great appreciation of living in a strange country which will help you appreciate his point of view when you move to the US.

It's true it's not guaranteed that he will be able to visit the US but most people visiting from the UK during both K1 and CR1 visa applications have had few issues. I visited my husband about 5 times while we were waiting for the visa to be processed - trips ranging from a weekend to almost 3 months.

I always had the stack of papers showing I had intentions to return (lease, letter from boss etc) but I was never asked for any of it. They only ever wanted to see my return ticket. I was always worried on the flight over which wasn't pleasant of course.

If you can go to the UK for that length of time then I would say go for it. You'll have a great appreciation of living in a strange country which will help you appreciate his point of view when you move to the US.

Agree with this. Of course, there is no guarantee of entry as that is at the discretion of the CBP, and there is that worry, of course, but I didn't have any problems when I was travelling to the US before coming over here permanently. I brought evidence every time (which included the paperwork for the K1 petition) but was not asked for it either.

I think, also, if you have a visa application in process it shows that you're doing things the correct way, which actually can work in your favour.

L

I think, also, if you have a visa application in process it shows that you're doing things the correct way, which actually can work in your favour.

That's what I'm hoping for. My guy and I submitted our I-129F for the K1 visa about a month ago. We just booked his flight for him to fly here from London on Feb. 8 and stay for 87 days. He'll be bringing a copy of the I-129F submission, NOA1, letter from employer (his contract saying that he has to stay employed there until at least November 2012), utility bill, cell phone bill, bank statement, pay stub, return flight and evidence of medical insurance showing effective dates. He's also making sure to only take clothes in his suitcase, nothing that would show that he is planning on moving at this time. The only issue is that he canceled the lease on his house and is living with his parents while this whole thing is sorted. Perhaps he should have his dad draft up a lease?

I recently saw another posting about a UK woman who was turned away because of lack of ties to her home country which has made me very, very worried. She didn't say if she had filed for any visa, only that she was visiting a boyfriend. I'm really hoping you're right and the visa process will show that we're doing things legally.

Thank you everyone for all of your encouragement! It is good to know there is so much solidarity in the visa journey community :) Although it is quite daunting to think of tackling yet another visa application....

So we thought of one more issue that we think might be pertinent and were wondering if any of you all had any thoughts. Do you think that going the UK visa route would impede any future efforts to immigrate to the UK? As in, if we get a UK visa for me and then are able to come over to America in perhaps 10 months or so - i.e., before the UK visa becomes a "permanently settled" visa - and then sometime years from now we decide we'd like to live & work for a bit in the UK, would our chances of being able to settle there be hindered by the previous visa history? My assumption is that we would just start again at square one with the UK visa, and while that might be a pain it is doable. We just want to avoid any situation that would keep us from visiting our families or possibly allowing our future children an opportunity to experience UK life altogether.

Thank you again for any advice you might have!

Tiff & Tom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Thank you everyone for all of your encouragement! It is good to know there is so much solidarity in the visa journey community :) Although it is quite daunting to think of tackling yet another visa application....

So we thought of one more issue that we think might be pertinent and were wondering if any of you all had any thoughts. Do you think that going the UK visa route would impede any future efforts to immigrate to the UK? As in, if we get a UK visa for me and then are able to come over to America in perhaps 10 months or so - i.e., before the UK visa becomes a "permanently settled" visa - and then sometime years from now we decide we'd like to live & work for a bit in the UK, would our chances of being able to settle there be hindered by the previous visa history? My assumption is that we would just start again at square one with the UK visa, and while that might be a pain it is doable. We just want to avoid any situation that would keep us from visiting our families or possibly allowing our future children an opportunity to experience UK life altogether.

Thank you again for any advice you might have!

Tiff & Tom

I don't see any reason why you would not be able to obtain another UK visa again. As you say, you'd just start back at the beginning and apply for a new, valid visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.