james&olya

Russians not welcome in Copenhagen?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My in-laws just had an unpleasant surprise when they went to check in for their return flight from to Chicago to Moscow. They had come here through Warsaw but their return was booked through Copenhagen. The airline ticket counter clerk told them they could not fly through Copenhagen with their Russian passports unless they had schengen visas! Not even allowed to make connections there! They had to be re-booked through Stockholm for the following day! Anybody hear of this before? The Danes hate Russians?!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

would be the same for a layover in the US (it's called C visa). Certain countries require a visa even though you don't exit the airport. Apparently the EU has such requirement for Russian citizens. it's not a matter of hate, it may be reciprocity (i.e., EU citizens having to get a visa for Russia).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

would be the same for a layover in the US (it's called C visa). Certain countries require a visa even though you don't exit the airport. Apparently the EU has such requirement for Russian citizens. it's not a matter of hate, it may be reciprocity (i.e., EU citizens having to get a visa for Russia).

Not the EU though, Warsaw and Stockholm have no such restriction.

Wikipedia has written it up nicely for you ... here!

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

According to this site the agent is incorrect: http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/

I plugged in Russian passport and it says.

Denmark (DK)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets transiting

For details, click here on the same calendar day *Note: TWOV is not

possible when arriving from a non-Schengen Member State AND

departing to a Schengen Member State For details, click here

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

My in-laws just had an unpleasant surprise when they went to check in for their return flight from to Chicago to Moscow. They had come here through Warsaw but their return was booked through Copenhagen. The airline ticket counter clerk told them they could not fly through Copenhagen with their Russian passports unless they had schengen visas! Not even allowed to make connections there! They had to be re-booked through Stockholm for the following day! Anybody hear of this before? The Danes hate Russians?!

The only thing I can think of is that the airport in Copenhagen is set up that your in laws would have to leave the International Zone of the airport in order to catch their connecting flight...then a Schengen Visa would be needed. Otherwise it's not needed as long as they don't leave that part of the airport which they couldn't anyways seeing how they would have to go through security first at the gate.

Most all if not all International Airports are set up so that people don't have to leave the International Zone in order to catch their connecting flight. In fact I don't know of any that aren't set up that way.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

This happens sometimes, but in many/most cases, if they have a ticket that shows they're in transit, they can go through.

This is why it's always good to check up on a country's visa policies, even if you're only transiting. Some countries are much more strict in their policies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I do not think he is speaing f a layover, he is speaking of connecting flights. Not leaving the airport. EU generally allows ONE connection through an EU country without any sort of visa and would never require a Shengen visa to my knowledge, only a transit visa.

James have you checked this through another source? Are you sure the airline person is correct?

Our family (UKrainian passports) has changed planes many times through London (including bussing it from Heathrow to Gatwick with NO visa as long as you have a green card) Prague, Munich, Brussels, Budapest, Amsterdam, Frankfurt...never a problem

All the same...9 days until citizenship and the blue passport! :dance:

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

According to this site the agent is incorrect: http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/

I plugged in Russian passport and it says.

Denmark (DK)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets transiting

For details, click here on the same calendar day *Note: TWOV is not

possible when arriving from a non-Schengen Member State AND

departing to a Schengen Member State For details, click here

I was afraid of that and is always my intial thought...untrained employees are far more common than travel restrictions for ticketed passengers within airports and they walk among us not knowing they cost people millions of dollars each year.

If this is correct, and I suspect it is, the airline owes you big time James. I hope you got the information to show you were denied boarding.

While I have never had a problem transferring flights in an EU airport, I HAVE had problems with untrained employees on almost every trip, nearly every contact with any government agency from SS to DMV. Unfortunately those of us with families overseas need to e prepared to train the staff of businesses we deal with.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I do not think he is speaing f a layover, he is speaking of connecting flights. Not leaving the airport. EU generally allows ONE connection through an EU country without any sort of visa and would never require a Shengen visa to my knowledge, only a transit visa.

James have you checked this through another source? Are you sure the airline person is correct?

Our family (UKrainian passports) has changed planes many times through London (including bussing it from Heathrow to Gatwick with NO visa as long as you have a green card) Prague, Munich, Brussels, Budapest, Amsterdam, Frankfurt...never a problem

Yes, yes, yes, Gary is right. It has nothing to do with the EU rules. In fact, London lets you leave the transit zone if your layover is shorter than 24 hrs (or something like that). I traveled through Paris, Amsterdam and Vienna - never had ANY problem.

They should educate airport agents better.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Perhaps their layover was for more time than they could've stayed in the terminal? (Overnight, for instance?)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Perhaps their layover was for more time than they could've stayed in the terminal? (Overnight, for instance?)

I had a 23 hour layover in Frankfurt a few years back and it was one of the longest nights in my life. I didn't realize the airport bar there closed so early and I spent half the night trying to sleep on those plastic chairs while the janitors were going back and forth with some kind of floor cleaning machine that looked like a small Zamboni. I was trying to save a few bucks on the hotel room.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My longest layover was about 12 hours. You can stay in the terminal for DAYS as long as you don't leave the transit zone (I know a girl, who got stuck in Rome for 2 or 3 days, because she'd lost her ticket - that was about 5-6 years ago, when e-tickets weren't that common yet).

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

I had a 23 hour layover in Frankfurt a few years back and it was one of the longest nights in my life. I didn't realize the airport bar there closed so early and I spent half the night trying to sleep on those plastic chairs while the janitors were going back and forth with some kind of floor cleaning machine that looked like a small Zamboni. I was trying to save a few bucks on the hotel room.

I had a layover there a few years back and found a "cheap" room for something like 60 Euros. I had planned on going to the club or at least the red light district but after getting hit with that fee for the room, I didn't have enough leftover for anything but some grub.

Euro softcore and free lotion, FTW!

My longest layover was about 12 hours. You can stay in the terminal for DAYS as long as you don't leave the transit zone (I know a girl, who got stuck in Rome for 2 or 3 days, because she'd lost her ticket - that was about 5-6 years ago, when e-tickets weren't that common yet).

Krakozhia!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.