nicolev

To College or University?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Disclaimer: This is quite the lengthy question!

I'm a 17-year-old American student currently in the 12th grade. For various reasons, I have decided to study in the UK. I cannot simply join a Study Abroad program in a college here in the States because my purpose of studying in the UK expands beyond simply wanting to study at a British university. It's rather complicated, but it has to do with my gaining citizenship in the future, which, again, is for various reasons including family and the like.

I was originally planning on going directly to university since I am at a level in my education where that is a possible situation. Because I have not taken A-Levels or the American equivalent of these, I am unable to apply to a "typical" British university. However, I did my research and came across Richmond University in London, which is basically an American college in England. I had planned on studying here and then transferring to the University of Nottingham after my first year of study. This would mean that I could still go directly to England next year, and that I would be able to qualify to study at a "typical" British university as soon as I completed my Freshman year of college.

This plan was stable for a bit. I spoke to the American representatives of this school and came to the conclusion that I have a 99% chance of being accepted if I apply. No matter what I do, I've decided to still apply to Richmond as a sort of back up plan. But, now my thoughts have changed...

I was thinking about it, and American education is vastly different from British education. I feel as though the jump from one form of education to the next would be a bit difficult to adjust to, especially considering the fact that, in the US, a Bachelor's in English typically takes a study of four years, while in the UK, at least the program I was looking at, takes three years. Also, I feel as though I would be at a general disadvantage as everyone else in the university (provided they're not international students), will have finished their A-Level courses and studied things which I've potentially not had the chance to educate myself in.

For this reason, I am now considering going to a college in Nottingham before attending university. I do realise that there is a major difference between the American idea of "college" and "college" in the UK. I understand that. I also understand that college in England is technically like the 11th and 12th grades in the US. This is an idea I understand. However, the way I look at it is, if I were to study at an American university/college, I would earn my degree four years from now. If I study at an English college and then university, I will earn that same degree in five years time. However, I did skip a grade in my past years, so, technically, rather than "staying back" two years, by going to college before university, I will simply be put on the exact same level I would have been had I not skipped a grade ... does that make sense? What I mean to say is that while it may appear to me as though I'm repeating the 11th and 12th grade, I'm really not as I'd be receiving a different education in the first place, and I'm supposed to be going into the 12th grade anyway ... plus, college in the US takes longer for the English degree. So, essentially, as I said before, this is really nothing like "staying back."

I've looked into this, and it appears as though most international students who go to college in order to earn credentials for university are actually around 18 and 19 at the start of their first year. So, while most students will seem to be younger than me (as I realise most students are 16 at the start of college), I really won't be that much out of place ... plus, I appear much younger than I am anyway, so that's not a big deal, lol.

My questions are ... is going to college actually worth it? And when I apply to university, will my credentials from my high school career (grade 9 up until the grade I am in now) be considered at all, or just my A-Levels? When I apply to university, since I'd have studied my A-Levels, will I still be considered an international student and therefore still have to apply with a different process than British students?

I have weighed the pros and cons of this, though I am still not certain. By "worth it" I mean, will I be learning anything which will help me at university, or will I basically be learning things which I already know? Part of the reason why I'd like to go to college is because I feel as though this will make the transition from an American education to that of the British variety a bit less painful. I am a strong student, so I am not too worried about the "difficulty" of university, or even college. But, at the same time, I'm still ... uncertain.

Sorry this is so long!

Edited by nicolev

Can I ask how going to University there will be a path to citizenship? Students don't necessarily get leave to remain once their student visas expire.

I would contact the University of Nottingham (or Trent, whichever one you are considering) and ask them about their requirements for admission for an international student - they may not require A levels, so there may be no need to go down that route. The admissions office will most likely be very familiar with the different educational systems around the world and be capable of evaluating your educational background as they admit a number of international students.

The major difference between a UK degree and a US degree is that a UK degree is specialized in one subject without the more generalized 2 years spent fulfilling general education requirements in a US degree.

90day.jpg

It is long. And you have seriously overthought this. Let me tell you my and my brother's experiences, which are at different stages of the game, with my brother's more analogous to yours. For the record, both my brother and I are American and went to American high schools.

My brother went back to study for a BA in Archaeology at University College London at the age of 39. He'd never done more than a year of college in the US, and that was back in the 80s, so essentially he had to start all over again. He never once considered doing A levels because he knew all that a UK university wants is the domestic equivalent (for the most part) for most countries, and this is certainly the case for the US. US high school diplomas are the equivalents. He applied to UCL, Royal Holloway and another uni (can't remember now) and got into all three. Now, because of some irregularities with his high school education, my brother had to get a GED. So this is a man who 1) has been out of formal education for 20 years 2) had a GED and 3) had no background in archaeology. He was a systems analyst! You are (or soon will be) a high school graduate with a proper diploma, right? You have nothing to worry about.

He went to UCL and ended up getting one of the top three Firsts in his year; he's now doing a PhD there. He's been unbelievably successful and at no time did not having taken A Levels affect his performance. It was never even brought up in the application process. UK universities have a LOT of American students these days, and many of them go straight from high school. I have NO idea why you would want to waste money on going to sixth form college unless it is imperative that you have that experience. Waste of money and time. Unless you don't intend to graduate from high school in the US, in which case you will either have to do A-levels, take the GED or convince the admissions committee you're worth a gamble.

In my own experience, I have an MA from Bristol and also graduated from law school. Having US qualifications didn't stump any one in applying for those courses, or indeed in getting work afterwards. If you're a strong student and a good candidate, none of this will make a difference.

So seriously, contact Nottingham directly and ask them "What do I need to do to be considered?" They would love to have you and your overseas student money! By the way, getting classified as a home student these days is waaaaaaaaay harder than it used to be. Even if you did A-levels, on a student visa you wouldn't be considered settled and therefor eligible for home rates. And stop overthinking all of this!smile.gif

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I'm not British but my husband has explained it bunches of times and his children and niece have just gone through it so let me take a stab.

In the UK, school is over at age 16 (like at the end of your Sophomore year)

They have options at that point--

C stayed at her same school for 2 more years and took A-levels

Then she went to University at Brighton and graduated in 3 years studying maths and business (2011)

Now she's moved back home and is a waitress where she worked 4 years ago.

J left school and went to college and got his National diploma in Uniformed Services. (being a cop??)

Then he went to another college and briefly studied photography.

Then he joined a rock band and is working a day job not related to uniformed services or photography.

K left her school and went to a different school (secondary school) to take A levels because they offered subjects she wanted to study that her school wasn't offering.

What I get from all this is your Jr/Sr years are like taking A-levels. They choose a few specific subjects like German, or math, or music even. I think you are most likely more prepared than you think. C took A-levels in Math but my kids finished AP advanced calculus in high school as part of their normal program and weren't even going to be math majors at University and were as advanced as C.

Uni doesn't take as long because they only take modules in their major or double major. It doesn't mean it's harder because they get a degree faster. A maths major at Uni would not take literature, history, science, psychology, physical education..... American Universities (I have two grads) tend to do two years of a broader background with requirements in many disciplines, then spend more time in their major the final 2 years.

I guess it depends on what you're taking your senior year (academic classes or fluff) and if you have developed good study habits whether you can hack it at Uni. We don't know your background to say really.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

In answer to your posting title, "College or University": University.

If you've finished High School in America, you'll get straight into be able to continue education at a University level in the UK, same as someone who has just finished School (or sixth college or equivilant) in the UK.

Unless you 'don't make the grade' for your preferred university in the UK, two years in a sixth form college or a foundation year somewhere (in my opinion) would be a waste of time and money. Further education is expensive enough, if you can get straight into it, do it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.