Newbies J & J

help!! social security

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

My boyfriend arrived on December 23 and a few days after he came, we have processed his social security number which arrived in less than three weeks. The social security is written: VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTORIZATION, my question is if with this SS he can begin to work or we have to wait to get married and then process of adjustment of status, since we have fear that if he begins to work with this SS he will come to have a problem later in the adjustment of status as he started working before the adjustment of status, please if someone know something about it, can you tell us what we can do, if he can work or he has to wait.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My boyfriend arrived on December 23 and a few days after he came, we have processed his social security number which arrived in less than three weeks. The social security is written: VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTORIZATION, my question is if with this SS he can begin to work or we have to wait to get married and then process of adjustment of status, since we have fear that if he begins to work with this SS he will come to have a problem later in the adjustment of status as he started working before the adjustment of status, please if someone know something about it, can you tell us what we can do, if he can work or he has to wait.

He has to wait until you AOS and obtain either the EAD or the GC and then go to the SSA office and get a new card that will have that statement removed.

No, has can not legally work just yet.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

He is not eligible to work unless he has an Employment Authorization Document (applied for after you marry) or the green card.

He cannot work with smiply a k1 visa.

Good luck

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

thank you very much for your answers, another question my friend's boyfriend who also came to U.S. with the K-1 visa and also obtained his SS before marriage and adjustment of status, he is working after they got his SS, they might have a problem when you make your adjustment of status, my friend says that they will not have problems because she saw years ago a similar case to our and they had no problem, that's why I began to inquire of you to get out of the doubt.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

thank you very much for your answers, another question my friend's boyfriend who also came to U.S. with the K-1 visa and also obtained his SS before marriage and adjustment of status, he is working after they got his SS, they might have a problem when you make your adjustment of status, my friend says that they will not have problems because she saw years ago a similar case to our and they had no problem, that's why I began to inquire of you to get out of the doubt.

What happens to one case, meaning they circumvented the regulations, doesn't make is acceptable for the next case. All are unique. I'd say yes there is a good chance all will be OK but there is that slim chance they may want to make an example out of some particular case.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I would ask this friend how th eemployer filled out the I-9 form required for every employee. It is on the employer to check the proper documentation of their workforce. Now we all know there are several employers in the USA that could careless about the fines of hiring undocumented workers and do so on a regular basis. It's like saying, "I drove down that road 15 mph over the speed limit last week and did not get a ticket." Maybe this week or next week there will be a car with those flashing lights on it to stop you an issue you a ticket. Same can be said for your friend and that other case.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.