Piefre

Canada GST Cheque

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The individual wasn't eligible to receive GST, CTC or anything else during the time they entered the US on their K1 and now. No, it probably won't make much difference in the end, but honesty is always the best policy.

I would think that if the Canadian is going to abandon the K1/AOS process and move back, without ever having truly become a permanent resident and was out of Canada for less than 6 months, they could just be deemed a visitor in the US for that period and technically still qualify. I'm not saying I'm right, but if someone files their taxes in Canada for 2011 and doesn't file an exit return because they've moved back to Canada at the beginning of 2012, then technically they didn't really leave and were just visiting the US on the K1 visa.

I could be wrong, but on paper, for the purposes of the GST cheques, how would Canada ever know someone left Canada for 3-4 months intending to live in the US and then came back? They really wouldn't. It's our exit return taxes that truly prove we've left the country and that is why is takes so long for them to find out that they shouldn't be sending the checks anymore right? Or, if they knew that someone was out of the country for say 4 months, but then moved back... well then they might still qualify for the rest of the year since they are a resident again.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would think that if the Canadian is going to abandon the K1/AOS process and move back, without ever having truly become a permanent resident and was out of Canada for less than 6 months, they could just be deemed a visitor in the US for that period and technically still qualify. I'm not saying I'm right, but if someone files their taxes in Canada for 2011 and doesn't file an exit return because they've moved back to Canada at the beginning of 2012, then technically they didn't really leave and were just visiting the US on the K1 visa.

I could be wrong, but on paper, for the purposes of the GST cheques, how would Canada ever know someone left Canada for 3-4 months intending to live in the US and then came back? They really wouldn't. It's our exit return taxes that truly prove we've left the country and that is why is takes so long for them to find out that they shouldn't be sending the checks anymore right? Or, if they knew that someone was out of the country for say 4 months, but then moved back... well then they might still qualify for the rest of the year since they are a resident again.

True, you're probably right, there hasn;t been enough time to establish anything.....I guess I get tired of folks here who are constantly looking for a way around the rules. I mean cripes, isn't anyone just honest anymore, you know?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline

I guess I'm confused, the taxes run for CTC from July to July from the prior year. So the month that you leave you are no longer eligible for this or any other tax credit I paid into while I was a resident?? Just curious I would hate to end up owing a chunk of money, after I moved!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are not eligible for most tax credits if they are dated after the day you POE. For example, I POEd on September 9th. If they mailed me a GST credit dated September 5th I could deposit it.

I believe the child tax credit is slightly different from the other ones and you may still be eligible for it after you move but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else can clear that up.

Timeline

I guess I'm confused, the taxes run for CTC from July to July from the prior year. So the month that you leave you are no longer eligible for this or any other tax credit I paid into while I was a resident?? Just curious I would hate to end up owing a chunk of money, after I moved!

Well you didn't 'pay into it' really...They are administering them from July to June most likely because they're basing it on the previous tax year. Most folks have filed their taxes by end of June so they can do their fancy calculations based on the previous year's income.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Several posts containing personal information have been removed at the OP's request. Several posts answering or quoting the removed posts have also been removed as the situation is no longer on view.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the phone with the CRA. Apparently the GST/HST line cannot change your residency- for that you have to contact the international office at 1-800-267-5177. Have your social insurance number ready.

They moved the international tax office from Quebec to Ottawa: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/international-eng.html

Here is the new address, and the one the lady told me to mail my cheques back to:

International Tax Services Office

Post Office Box 9769, Station T

Ottawa ON K1G 3Y4

CANADA

I hope talking to that lady helped. She had a thick accent so I had some trouble understanding her :S I think she said they would update my information and that I should receive a letter in a few weeks stating that I am no longer eligible for the credits. Sigh... let's hope it works.

Going through my mail I found something from the CRA saying that I was no longer eligible for the Ontario sales tax credit, which makes sense because I called the provincial line so it wouldn't affect the GST credit. So I urge anyone who hasn't called the international office yet to do so.

I finally got through! The guy told me the address you posted to mail my tax return, but gave me a totally different address for sending my cheques back to. He told me it was Canada Revenue Agency, Ottawa Technology Centre, Ottawa ON K1A 1B1. What is the Ottawa Technology Centre????

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Timeline

I finally got through! The guy told me the address you posted to mail my tax return, but gave me a totally different address for sending my cheques back to. He told me it was Canada Revenue Agency, Ottawa Technology Centre, Ottawa ON K1A 1B1. What is the Ottawa Technology Centre????

Hmm, not completely sure. It is related to the CRA though. Check this link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/prv/tstc/twts-eng.html I still don't know if I'm going about this correctly since it's only been 2 1/2 weeks since I talked to the CRA and mailed my cheques back, so I haven't got any mail or any kind of confirmation from them yet.

The technology centre is kind of an odd name for a CRA branch :blink:

It's so funny to me that this seems like it should be common knowledge...so much you need to know to move countries...

You'd think...

However, sometimes common knowledge isn't common.headbonk.gif

XYlOm10.pngGSPYm10.png
AOS: 2012-12-28
NOA's x 2: 2012-01-04
Bio App: 2012-02-05 (Honolulu, HAWAII)
Upcoming AOS Interview (March 21) RESCHEDULED between March 28 - June 6
EAD/AP combo card: 2013-03-15
AOS interview: APRIL 16th approved
Green Card: April 25th 2013 - 2015

ROC: 2015-Jan-20
NOA: 2015-Jan-27

BIO Appt: 2015-Feb-24

Approved: 2015-May-26

Hmm, not completely sure. It is related to the CRA though. Check this link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/prv/tstc/twts-eng.html I still don't know if I'm going about this correctly since it's only been 2 1/2 weeks since I talked to the CRA and mailed my cheques back, so I haven't got any mail or any kind of confirmation from them yet.

The technology centre is kind of an odd name for a CRA branch :blink:

Yea, I know! Maybe I will send it where yous ent yours...if we send our taxes there I am sure they can figure it out if I send my GST cheque back with a note explaining why...

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

It's been over a month since I talked to the CRA and sent my cheques back and still nothing... no letter in the mail (like they said I was supposed to get), nothing. I'm guessing they're just moving at a snail's pace like usual but maybe I'll give them a call soon... I really hope my letter didn't get lost in the mail.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

It's been over a month since I talked to the CRA and sent my cheques back and still nothing... no letter in the mail (like they said I was supposed to get), nothing. I'm guessing they're just moving at a snail's pace like usual but maybe I'll give them a call soon... I really hope my letter didn't get lost in the mail.

You know how it is - probably took a week or 2 to get there and trhen a week or 2 in the mail room and now it's on someone's desk - I honestly wouldn't expect any notification for a month or 2. You didn't cash them so you're in good shape.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow! This is a really good stuff. I am working on my taxes right and very close to book my interview. You know what ?

I going to call the GST number and ask them to send me check instead of direct deposit. Because i will have the chance to send the cheque back, Well, I will close my banck account any way. I dont think I will be here when they start paying 2011..

Cam & Ellie

Timeline

Wow! This is a really good stuff. I am working on my taxes right and very close to book my interview. You know what ?

I going to call the GST number and ask them to send me check instead of direct deposit. Because i will have the chance to send the cheque back, Well, I will close my banck account any way. I dont think I will be here when they start paying 2011..

I wouldn't recommend closing your bank account (if it's a Canadian bank account) because when you do your taxes next year they won't direct deposit into American bank accounts and American banks are very finicky with Canadian cheques (and Canadian cash too, for that matter). They are not as internationally friendly as Canadian banks are :/ So the easiest method for your tax refund is direct deposit into a Canadian bank account.

It is a good idea to start getting GST cheques though. The CRA is sooo slow processing everything...

Edited by pocheros

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.