sasaqlain

When to File for Citizenship?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

While my ROC is still pending(touching the 6 month mark in 2 days), I am not that far from applying for Citizenship. My question is that after my AOS, I was out of the US for 3 months. Does that mean that I have to apply for citizenship keeping that absence in mind, since I read somewhere that you should be physically residing in the US for the 3 years(in case of marriage) less the 90 days prior to applying for Citizenship? Whats the timeline if filed for Naturalization in New York?

Thank you.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Other Timeline

No,

the 3-months absence is irrelevant for naturalization purposes.

You can BECOME a U.S citizen exactly 3 years after having become a resident.

You can FILE up to 90 days before that magic date, although I would advise you to wait at least 7 days longer in order to avoid being too early, which would cause a delay.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

... although I would advise you to wait at least 7 days longer in order to avoid being too early, which would cause a delay.

How many days would you advise to be safe?

I-129F sent to Vermont: Late May 2008

NOA1 received: 17 June 2008

NOA2 received: 2 September 2008

Receive NOA2 about 3 1/2 months after sending

NVC received:

NVC left:

Consulate Received:

Packet 3 sent: 22 October 2008

Interview date: 18 November 2008

Visa approved: 18 November 2008

Arrive in U.S.: 20 January 2009

Marry Fiance: 26 January 2009

Mailed AOS: 7 February 2009

AOS application received by USCIS: 9 February 2009

NOA for AOS/EAD/AP sent from USCIS: 12 February 2009

Biometrics appointment received: 23 February 2009

Biometrics Appointment: 7 March 2009

Interview for AOS: 28 May 2009

What about those who had 2 year conditional green cards? When does the 3-year count start? 3 years from receipt of 2-yr green card? or from receipt of 10-yr card?

ROC mailed to USCIS -- June 10, 2011

ROC approved -- November 1, 2011

finally free of USCIS paperwork!

japan, japan! sagot sa kahirapan!

smswp8wx7d.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

What about those who had 2 year conditional green cards? When does the 3-year count start? 3 years from receipt of 2-yr green card? or from receipt of 10-yr card?

It starts the day you became a greencard holder, the day that is stamped on your first greencard.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

It starts the day you became a greencard holder, the day that is stamped on your first greencard.

Thanks!

ROC mailed to USCIS -- June 10, 2011

ROC approved -- November 1, 2011

finally free of USCIS paperwork!

japan, japan! sagot sa kahirapan!

smswp8wx7d.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.