annajody

an american in canada

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

my fiance and I want to marry he is American and I am Canadian....he has 2 children he has custody of and cant move to Canada....we want to marry in Canada and then when the paperwork is taken care of me to move to the States...what steps do we need to take for him to be able to come for a visit so we can marry

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

my fiance and I want to marry he is American and I am Canadian....he has 2 children he has custody of and cant move to Canada....we want to marry in Canada and then when the paperwork is taken care of me to move to the States...what steps do we need to take for him to be able to come for a visit so we can marry

You may want to check with Canadian immigration to see if your fiance

will require a certain visa to get married in Canada ... I think :star:

Good Luck!

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think any visa is necessary ( assuming your fiance is US CITIZEN ). Just check your provincial marriage license requirements.

From our experience - option of marrying in Canada [ I'm speaking of ON, the other provinces might be different ] is more bureaucratic and takes significantly more time, so we got married in the US.

Timeline

There's no VISA to get married in Canada. Americans don't require a VISA to enter Canada. He should come prepared with evidence of strong ties to the US since when the Cdn borderguard asks him the reason for his visit and he says'to get married' they are going to want proof that he is not staying.

Examples of proof can be a letter from his employer stating that they are aware he is travelling to Canada on vacation and that they expect him back at work on xx date. Bills, rental or mortgage agreements, the custody agreement for his children etc.....

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline

The link below provides some helpful information. There are quite a few Can-Am couples who have wed in Canada then immigrated to the US. Hopefully, they will find your thread. Good luck, and welcome to VJ. You will find lots of friendly people and helpful information here.

Visitation FAQ's

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As the previous posters have said, just make sure your fiance has proof of ties to the US when he crosses. It takes a significant amount of time to recieve your marriage certificate in most provinces (usually between 1-3 months) and that is a definite requirement for your petition. Most states issue a marriage certificate that day or the next (we got ours right at our ceremony). So you may want to consider this if you are trying to get to the US in the quickest route.

A CR-1 visa (what you will be applying for to allow you to move to the US) will take around a year to process without the wait for the marriage certificate!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

WE got married in Canada in British Columbia.. we didn't have to do anything special because he was a Us citizen..

the whole CR1 process took about a year... that was with 2 RFE's too...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

[/qu

My husband is a USC and he and I married in Canada in 2010 and no special visa was required for him to enter Canada to marry me.

He was allowed to marry and stay but not for more then 6 months.He just went back and forth for 11 months until I got my green card.

Good luck!

Marriage 2010-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2010-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-10-20

I-130 Approved : 2011-03-31

NVC Received : 2011-04-13

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-04-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-04-22

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-04-26

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-05-03

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2011-05-01

Receive IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Pay IV Bill : 2011-04-27

Receive Instruction Package : 2011-04-29

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-05-20

Interview Date Montreal : 2011-07-19

Interview Result : Approved

POE Coutts, Ab : 2011-07-29

I-751 Sent : May 01, 2013

Early Biometrics : May 28, 2013

I-751 Approved: August 26, 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Timeline

thank you for all your help we have decided to try to avoid the time restraints for Canada and marry in the States instead...any opinions if we should go thru the process for us to marry in the states and live there should we do it ourselves...buy a kit...or get a lawyer have the feeling the lawyer will take a while to save up for....

Timeline

thank you for all your help we have decided to try to avoid the time restraints for Canada and marry in the States instead...any opinions if we should go thru the process for us to marry in the states and live there should we do it ourselves...buy a kit...or get a lawyer have the feeling the lawyer will take a while to save up for....

Don't buy a kit - the process is expensive enough without you wasting it on non-essentials. If you have no potential problems or 'red flags' in your relationship (criminal history, visa overstays, etc.) there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do it yourself as well. There are good instructions here on Visa Journey about how to apply for a CR-1 spousal visa and what to expect.

There are many Canadian-American couples here who have already gone through this process as well as those who are currently going through this process. They are more than willing to give you a hand in figuring out the documentation and helping you put together your own packages. If you do not feel comfortable dealing with forms, then you might hire a lawyer or consultant, but they are basically just filling out forms with information that you give them, and you still have to gather all of the supporting documents yourself anyway.

Read over the instructions, read over the various forms involved, ask questions here, and you can probably save yourself the lawyers fees and the kit fees. All of the forms and all of the information are available free of charge at http://www.uscis.gov and our members are very knowledgeable and experienced - more so than some of the lawyers out there! The majority of us seem to have done it without lawyers - I know I did. :)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Don't buy a kit - the process is expensive enough without you wasting it on non-essentials. If you have no potential problems or 'red flags' in your relationship (criminal history, visa overstays, etc.) there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do it yourself as well. There are good instructions here on Visa Journey about how to apply for a CR-1 spousal visa and what to expect.

There are many Canadian-American couples here who have already gone through this process as well as those who are currently going through this process. They are more than willing to give you a hand in figuring out the documentation and helping you put together your own packages. If you do not feel comfortable dealing with forms, then you might hire a lawyer or consultant, but they are basically just filling out forms with information that you give them, and you still have to gather all of the supporting documents yourself anyway.

Read over the instructions, read over the various forms involved, ask questions here, and you can probably save yourself the lawyers fees and the kit fees. All of the forms and all of the information are available free of charge at http://www.uscis.gov and our members are very knowledgeable and experienced - more so than some of the lawyers out there! The majority of us seem to have done it without lawyers - I know I did. :)

thank you all very much for your kindness

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Kathryn already answered this, but it bears repeating: do not hire a lawyer! They don't tell you anything that you can't find out yourself with the help of the USCIS and visa journey websites. It's a waste of money and the process is already expensive.

Timeline

Right - lawyer's, kits etc...all the little ads you see on your sidebar when you're cruising the internet...all a waste and sometimes a scam :( All of us have gone through immigration ourselves quite successfully. You get the hang of it quite quickly! Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. You can ask your questions here in the Cdn forum and others and we like to help out!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.