rkk1

putting visa on hold?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi guys. I was planning on petitioning for my husband's visa last week (submitting the I-130); however, I've not done so yet as he has had a family emergency and needed my support. His mom has contracted a very serious brain disease, and there is a possibility of permanent disability or worse. It's a serious emergency in which she has already been hospitalized, but that she is going back for. If she is able to get through this which we hope she will (it is painful to even type this), she will need treatment for at least a year. It's been very difficult, as he is having an emotional breakdown right now and I'm helpless to do anything. :(

Since things are not yet stabilized, I am uncomfortable submitting his visa, as I don't know if he will end up staying there and taking care of her or what will happen. If I submit the visa petition now, and he delays submitting his paperwork on time (due to taking care of his mom's medical issues) or is not available to interview or come to the US during the specified time, will this cause a permanent loss of the visa? Will it be canceled due to delay? Or can we simply take our own time.

I know normally everyone is trying their best to speed up the process, but with his mom's ill-health, we are not sure whether he will need to stay longer. Even though we want to be together as soon as possible, we still want to keep our options open with regards to her care. Thanks for any input!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Our prayers are with you, sorry for the bad news.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am so sorry for you both.

If it was me I would still file the petition now. A spouse visa for India can take anywhere from 7 months to 1 year.

So file now and after the interview he might be able to extend the visa for a year. He has 6 months to enter normally after he gets the visa.

So file now and pray she gets better within the year.

God Bless

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Additionally you can delay things at the NVC for upto 1 year by simply waiting to pay the fees and submit the documents.

All in all you can easily stretch things out so that from sending the application to POE is in the area of 24 months.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

With your husband's agreement I would start the process. All things considered you will both have your minds on other issues so the wait might not seem as trying.

Timeline

Very True! I forgot about that potential delay also!

Thanks Bob and Anna

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Timeline

Normal process for the Visa would be anywhere between 8-12 months assuming if you start today.

Further you can delay a little bit by delaying in submitting your police clearance etc to NVC.

Simpler option is you hold on and not submit your application at all and wait few months that will push every thing by few months.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for all your input... this really helps to know that there might be some options to delay if we need to.

On an unrelated note, my husband's birthday is this week, which will probably be the worst birthday of his life (being that he is in a terrible state of grief). Do you have any ideas for a care package I could send to him to give him some comfort? I had previously sent him some expensive protein powders etc from here which never made it through to him, so I don't want to send anything particularly expensive, or items that would take forever to reach him. Just thought I'd ask. Even though the package would get there some days after his bday, I'd like to send if off soon just so he knows I'm there for him.

Edited by rkk1

Timeline

I hate sending gifts to egypt because of the custom fees. so now I just order online flowers or cake/cookies.

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.