Mal86

Decision can't be made and they want a sworn statement

14 posts in this topic

Married wife in ‘01 . Filed for i751 ’01, which was still pending when she admitted to an affair that produced our 3 month old daughter (I didn't believe here and ordered a paternity test to prove it, and she was right :( ). I was devastated and heartbroken, as I never suspected a thing in our 5 year marriage. I applied for divorce immediately in 09 ‘05 with i751 pending. I remarried a US citizen in 05 ‘06. We have 2 girls and are still married now. At the advice of a bad lawyer, in 2005 I stayed quiet about the divorce to see if the i751 would go through, since the lawyer told me that I'd have to wait another 2 years to get the i751 approved with new marriage ( I'm an idiot. I know :huh: ) Sure enough, it didn’t pass. In 03 ‘07 I left the US (voluntary departure) because they wouldn't renew my GC that was set to expire in a month and the letter mentioned that “no appeal lies from this decision." I literally packed my bags, dropped out of college mid-semester, and moved back overseas within a week. My wife (still now), was pregnant 6 months then and followed me overseas and had our first child there, since we didn't want to risk my not attending the delivery even if we had chosen to appeal. In 6 ‘07 got a letter overseas from the USCIS stating they want evidence of i485 with new wife. I didnt know my case was open! It was bad timing and I just signed a contract with big company and my wife was only 10 days from delivering out child, so naturally, I just ignored the message. In 09/2008, after work contract finished overseas, we filed for an i130 at the US embassy, and it was OK’d amazingly fast. and within a month I was back in the US with a 10 yr unconditional GC. In 07 2011, three months short of 3 years continuous residence in the US, I applied for n400. After interview, which was a week ago, the IO stated that a “decision cant be made” and they are calling me in for a “sworn statement" for some reason ( I have no idea what they want me to swear about!) I'm worried as I don't know what they might have against me or what's going on! Anyone been through something similar and can give me some hope? :help:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

for the n-400 citizenship interview thats normal to swear you in first, before your asked any questions, every one goes through the same thing at the interview,don't lie. if you do and get cough you wont get your citizenship,

Filed: Timeline

Married wife in ‘01 . Filed for i751 ’01, which was still pending when she admitted to an affair that produced our 3 month old daughter (I didn't believe here and ordered a paternity test to prove it, and she was right :( ). I was devastated and heartbroken, as I never suspected a thing in our 5 year marriage. I applied for divorce immediately in 09 ‘05 with i751 pending. I remarried a US citizen in 05 ‘06. We have 2 girls and are still married now. At the advice of a bad lawyer, in 2005 I stayed quiet about the divorce to see if the i751 would go through, since the lawyer told me that I'd have to wait another 2 years to get the i751 approved with new marriage ( I'm an idiot. I know :huh: ) Sure enough, it didn’t pass. In 03 ‘07 I left the US (voluntary departure) because they wouldn't renew my GC that was set to expire in a month and the letter mentioned that “no appeal lies from this decision." I literally packed my bags, dropped out of college mid-semester, and moved back overseas within a week. My wife (still now), was pregnant 6 months then and followed me overseas and had our first child there, since we didn't want to risk my not attending the delivery even if we had chosen to appeal. In 6 ‘07 got a letter overseas from the USCIS stating they want evidence of i485 with new wife. I didnt know my case was open! It was bad timing and I just signed a contract with big company and my wife was only 10 days from delivering out child, so naturally, I just ignored the message. In 09/2008, after work contract finished overseas, we filed for an i130 at the US embassy, and it was OK’d amazingly fast. and within a month I was back in the US with a 10 yr unconditional GC. In 07 2011, three months short of 3 years continuous residence in the US, I applied for n400. After interview, which was a week ago, the IO stated that a “decision cant be made” and they are calling me in for a “sworn statement" for some reason ( I have no idea what they want me to swear about!) I'm worried as I don't know what they might have against me or what's going on! Anyone been through something similar and can give me some hope? :help:

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/DATAOBJECTS/I_263B.PDF

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2449/0-0-0-2734.html

Get a lawyer.

Edited by Crusty Old Perv

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

for the n-400 citizenship interview thats normal to swear you in first, before your asked any questions, every one goes through the same thing at the interview,don't lie. if you do and get cough you wont get your citizenship,

He has already had an interview.

2007-11-8 : Married

AOS

2008-3-03 : AOS sent

2008-3-12 : Check cashed

2008-3-14 : Received Receipt Notices of AOS ,EAD and AP

2008-3-17 : Biometrics Appointment notice date

2008-4-03 : Biometrics Appointment ,,,DONE,,,

2008-5-09 : EAD card ordered and AP approval notice

2008-5-13 : AP approval notice sent

2008-5-16 : AP received

2008-5-19 : EAD Approval notice sent

2008-5-21 : EAD received

2008-6-27 : interview appointment letter (for August)

2008-8---- : interview was fine, but was given a RFE, reason: chicken pox shot( although i got the shot when i was little)

2008-10-- : green card

ROC

2010-7-13 : I-751 sent

2010-7-16 : I-751 received

2010-7-20 : I-751 sent back to me. Cause: signatures and filing early.

2010-7-26 : I-751 re-sent

2010-8-09 : First NOA received ( dated 8/2 )

2010-8-12 : Biometrics appointment letter received ( dated 8/6 )

2010-8-19 : Early biometrics

2010-9-08 : Card production ordered

2010-9-15 : Green Card received, with incorrect first name (one letter missing)

I-90

2010-9-16 : Sent I-90 with Green Card

2010-9-17 : I-90 delivered

2010-9-24 : Receipt received. Notice date: 9-22

2011-2-08 : Card production ordered

2011-2-10 : Card received with NO errors.

N400 :

11-22-2011 :Sent

02-21-2012 :Interview ( a long delay afterwards)

05-18-2012 :Oath - US citizen

He has already had an interview.

Nonetheless, crusty is right.. get a lawyer! He had to inform USCIS about the divorce since his I-751 was not adjudicated and was not granted unconditional residency in the US until he left and got the visa through the embassy and came back and got 10yr card. Technically, he maybe out of status for that period which would create a lot of problems for him. Its better for the OP to get an experienced lawyer and take the attorney with him at the interview or sworn statement proceedings.

Our Timeline

06/23/2006 Happiest day of my life, got married to my lovely Wife!

AOS

11/27/06 I-485 / I-765 Sent (Overnight)

11/28/06 I-485 / I-765 Received

12/01/06 Notice Date for both

12/02/06, 12/04/06, 12/05/06, 12/06/06, 12/10/06, 12/11/06 Touched !!!

12/19/06 Interview letter Issued!

12/26/06 Interview Notice Received!

02/13/07 Interview

08/25/08 Filed Writ of Mandamus (Law Suit) against USCIS, DOS, FBI

09/16/08 Application Approved (IR6)

09/22/08 Card Production Ordered

09/23/08 Welcome Notice Received

09/29/08 10 YR. GC Received!

N-400

07/18/11 N-400 Sent (Overnight) UPS

07/19/11 N-400 Received

08/23/11 Case status changed - FP letter sent

08/26/11 Fingerprint notice received in mail

08/26/11 Early Fingerprints completed

09/13/11 Original Fingerprints scheduled date

08/30/11 Case status updated: In-Line to be scheduled for an interview

09/12/11 Case status updated: Interview is now scheduled

09/15/11 Interview letter received!

10/19/11 Interview at Santa Ana, CA - I-130 is not approved in file

10/19/11 RFE issued

10/27/11 RFE response received and is being reviewed - even though I didn't get any RFE or responded to one!

11/11/11 Notification for Placed in que for oath ceremony

11/15/11 Notification for Oath being scheduled

11/18/11 N-445 Oath letter received

12/15/11 Oath Ceremony - Its all over! I AM FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Filed: Other Timeline

Short version (I'm on a tiny netbook): I would imagine that they had a close look at your entire A file dating back to 2001. They specifically may have questions about your previous RoC.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

There you go.. Brother summed it up pretty good from his tiny netbook that is :)

Our Timeline

06/23/2006 Happiest day of my life, got married to my lovely Wife!

AOS

11/27/06 I-485 / I-765 Sent (Overnight)

11/28/06 I-485 / I-765 Received

12/01/06 Notice Date for both

12/02/06, 12/04/06, 12/05/06, 12/06/06, 12/10/06, 12/11/06 Touched !!!

12/19/06 Interview letter Issued!

12/26/06 Interview Notice Received!

02/13/07 Interview

08/25/08 Filed Writ of Mandamus (Law Suit) against USCIS, DOS, FBI

09/16/08 Application Approved (IR6)

09/22/08 Card Production Ordered

09/23/08 Welcome Notice Received

09/29/08 10 YR. GC Received!

N-400

07/18/11 N-400 Sent (Overnight) UPS

07/19/11 N-400 Received

08/23/11 Case status changed - FP letter sent

08/26/11 Fingerprint notice received in mail

08/26/11 Early Fingerprints completed

09/13/11 Original Fingerprints scheduled date

08/30/11 Case status updated: In-Line to be scheduled for an interview

09/12/11 Case status updated: Interview is now scheduled

09/15/11 Interview letter received!

10/19/11 Interview at Santa Ana, CA - I-130 is not approved in file

10/19/11 RFE issued

10/27/11 RFE response received and is being reviewed - even though I didn't get any RFE or responded to one!

11/11/11 Notification for Placed in que for oath ceremony

11/15/11 Notification for Oath being scheduled

11/18/11 N-445 Oath letter received

12/15/11 Oath Ceremony - Its all over! I AM FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

I really want to know though is it a problem for u to be divorced n apply for citizenship? I see a lot of people aving this problem? Nd I'm in the same boat

Nope. You just have to wait five years instead of three. If there is any question about your file, it may be prudent to wait the five years when the level of proof required is much less.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Personally.....i wouldnt worry until you know what they need. There may or may not be a problem. Either way, they will let you know. That would be the time to address it.

Personally.....i wouldnt worry until you know what they need. There may or may not be a problem. Either way, they will let you know. That would be the time to address it.

Looking at the form, it appears he won't find out until they are ready to take his sworn statement, just before they read him his rights. I wouldn't go in cold, and he needs the services of a qualified attorney beforehand. If it was me, I would be asking everyone I could, "Who is the go to lawyer for this kind of case?"

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yeah. That's what I keep hearing-- just get a lawyer. But I'm just wondering if it's even necessary.

I forgot to mention: EVEN the IO at the i751 interview in 2007 told me that I could leave the country and reapply with my current wife and just start the whole process over. That's why I was so surprised when I received the letter overseas asking about the i485.

Also, wouldn't they have had my name on record when my current wife applied for my i130 and known if there was a problem? Like I said, they gave me a visa incredibly fast along with an unexpected 10 year GC. I'm also using the same A# as I did when I first entered the country. If there were any questions or doubts about my case, wouldn't I have been asked about it (I was interviewed at the embassy prior to coming back to the US). I'm just confused right now and waiting for Thursday. I'll let you all know what's happens then.

Hi everyone. I went in for my sworn statement today and I was completely OFF. I posted a new topic about what happened here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/343756-possible-n400-denial-for-misinforming-under-oath-about-applying-for-work-at-federal-agency-9-years-ago/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.