Kajikit

Applying for citizenship at 5 years

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

We intended to apply for my citizenship after we filed our taxes this year, but we ended up delaying the application all year (citizenship, not our taxes! We did them in April)... John wanted to know what evidence we need to send in so we can get the ball rolling, and dug out my greencard and realised that I passed the magic 5-year mark last month! It looks like I don't need to send ANY evidence of my marriage to USCIS now? True? Do I really just need to send in a copy of my greencard, passport photos and a check? Can anything ever really be that simple with USCIS involved?

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We intended to apply for my citizenship after we filed our taxes this year, but we ended up delaying the application all year (citizenship, not our taxes! We did them in April)... John wanted to know what evidence we need to send in so we can get the ball rolling, and dug out my greencard and realised that I passed the magic 5-year mark last month! It looks like I don't need to send ANY evidence of my marriage to USCIS now? True? Do I really just need to send in a copy of my greencard, passport photos and a check? Can anything ever really be that simple with USCIS involved?

yep, if you applying based on 5 year eligibility then IT'S THAT SIMPLE :yes: as per N-400 instructions> no marriag evidence required since you are claiming eligibility on 5 year mark- be sure to check that on your form.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Yes.. it can be that simple. After 5 years, you are applying on your own and nothing related to a USC spouse.

Go over the naturalization guide http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

and the document check list to be safe http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf

good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

Wow! Hooray! I was under the impression that it was 5 years with my PERMANENT greencard and I've only had that for three, so I was a bit startled to see such an early residency date on it. I guess it's good that we shilly-shallyed around for so many months. I'm not really in any hurry, but I don't have a passport and I need citizenship to get a US one and be done with the whole Immigration thing forever. I love it in Florida and I've never been back to Australia in seven years, but my parents aren't getting any younger, and I'm starting to worry about their health, and what if they had an emergency and I'm stuck 11,000 miles away...

Edited by Kajikit

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Apply right away and you will get naturalized and have your US passport within 4-5 months.

Edited by nwctzn

Filed: Other Timeline

YOU, and you alone are authorized to even fill out the form. if HE helps you don't tell us or anybody, as that would be illegal, unless he feels like stating on the bottom of the form that he helped you because you . . . well . . . had problems in comprehending English.

:wacko:

Anyway, you'll need pretty much nothing. Photocopies, passport sized photos, check for $680 . . . plus take the past 5 years' worth of tax transcripts with you to the interview, just in case.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

No worries there. English is my first (and only) language... the paperwork was pretty simple. I'm just glad we don't have to worry about coming up with a shopping cart's worth of 'evidence' of our marriage because that's a royal pain in the rear end.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

No worries there. English is my first (and only) language... the paperwork was pretty simple. I'm just glad we don't have to worry about coming up with a shopping cart's worth of 'evidence' of our marriage because that's a royal pain in the rear end.

That is very true. Gathering all the necessary evidences is itself a tedious task, leave alone the citizenship application process. Sending in photocopies of your green card, 2 identical color photographs ( as per the USCIS specifications) and a check/money order for application and biometrics fee along with your completed application will do. Good Luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.