mejms

Tourist visa or IR-1?

40 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Darnell said it right, if you have been living in Mexico then you might be eligible for the DCF process, which might be faster than filing.

using B1 for immigration is a visa fraud, getting caught would put a dent on your application and would certainly slow down the process.

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I have no idea who you could be. Who do you think I am?

Mayhap I confused you with another VJ-er with whom your story sounds similar. Forgive me I am wrong. All the best on your journey.

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

Filed: Timeline

Thanks to everyone for your prompt responses.

Just to be clear, I'm looking for best and easiest way to get my family for the states either for a visit or to live. At some point we would like to live there, but considering that the IR-1 is a year-long process, we'd settle for a trip to see my family in the meantime.

Penguin mentioned 2 things: 1) that my wife would likely be turned down for a tourist visa, as she's the wife of an American citizen and, I take it, more likely to stay in the US past her tourist visa; 2) that being rejected for a tourist visa has no effect whatsoever on your application for an IR-1. Can someone else respond to those two points?

And do you think that an immigration lawyer would be a big advantage?

Her tourist visa application would likely be denied (99% IMHO) because the VOs know the IR1 process can take a year and they will correctly wonder why she would leave the US instead of remain there during said processing (there is no realistic way ICE will track her down and the VOs know this).

An immigration attorney will not improve her chances of getting a tourist visa; in fact, any letter from an immigration attorney would be viewed with (a) latex gloves and (b) immense skepticism because the VOs will (correctly) assume that an immigration attorney will write anything on paper just to appease their client and will be poised to assist said client change status later (after the 'mind change' during baggage claim I have often referred to)...and hiring one to fill out an I-130 will only relieve you of about $3000 and accomplish nothing. All you need is a ball point pen and 30 minutes of time to fill out the papers....why pay some attorney huge sums of money to fill out what are essentially 'color in the dots' forms? Remember, just like TV evangelists, who promise front row seats in heaven in exchange for 'love gifts' (i.e. $$$$), immigration attorneys charge pots of money and get paid whether or not their clients ever obtain a visa....and immigration attorneys have zero power over the visa process (just like TV evangelists have zero power to decide who goes to heaven and who doesn't.)

And a B2 denial will (usually) not compromise a future IR1 application....as long as she does not commit any type of fraud during the first interview (very unlikley).

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm convinced that applying for an IR-1 through the DCF process makes the most sense and is surest way to go. Everyone cleared up my doubts in just one day. I really appreciate your feedback!

I posted on another thread in a different forum here on VJ about the process for taking my adopted stepson to the states.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to file for IR-1 with an I-130 through the DCF for my wife. I'm going to file for an IR-2 also with an I-130 and also through DCF for my son. Do I understand this so far?

Meanwhile, I just made an appointment for next week at the American Consulate for a consular report of birth abroad for my one year old daughter.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I'm convinced that applying for an IR-1 through the DCF process makes the most sense and is surest way to go. Everyone cleared up my doubts in just one day. I really appreciate your feedback!

I posted on another thread in a different forum here on VJ about the process for taking my adopted stepson to the states.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to file for IR-1 with an I-130 through the DCF for my wife. I'm going to file for an IR-2 also with an I-130 and also through DCF for my son. Do I understand this so far?

Meanwhile, I just made an appointment for next week at the American Consulate for a consular report of birth abroad for my one year old daughter.

Exactly right. If the adoption is complete before the visa is issued, the IR2 child should derive citizenship upon arriving in the USA. Your wife will not.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Exactly right. If the adoption is complete before the visa is issued, the IR2 child should derive citizenship upon arriving in the USA. Your wife will not.

I was thinking that it would be best to wait to begin both applications when my son's adoption is finalized (it's only 2 months away), but if I can get a head start on it, I will. Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay ! GoGoGadget DCF'd I-130 !!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I was thinking that it would be best to wait to begin both applications when my son's adoption is finalized (it's only 2 months away), but if I can get a head start on it, I will. Thanks.

No reason to wait to file the petition. Adoption finalization before visa issue is the key to citizenship.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country:
Timeline
No reason to wait to file the petition. Adoption finalization before visa issue is the key to citizenship.

Unless I misunderstand it, even if the step-parent adoption happens after the child enters the US and obtains a greencard they derive US Citizenship. Is that incorrect?

Timeline

Unless I misunderstand it, even if the step-parent adoption happens after the child enters the US and obtains a greencard they derive US Citizenship. Is that incorrect?

Not "upon entry", no.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Not "upon entry", no.

Of course, since entry has already happened, but they do derive Citizenship once the Adoption is complete if they're already in the US...

Timeline

Of course, since entry has already happened, but they do derive Citizenship once the Adoption is complete if they're already in the US...

Sure.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

How could I begin the petition for my son if a passport is required, which I'll only have with his legally changed name when the adoption is complete?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.