CDN2US

Today's the Day!

32 posts in this topic

One other possibility that has happened in the past with two other Canadian beneficiaries. . what does your fiance do for a living or what has he studied? Previous applicants who have had fairly high level technical jobs or advanced degrees have also been put into AP as their education or training was considered a possible security risk. The one I remember off hand was some sort of a researcher in bio chemistry, and I don't recall the other, but he had advanced degrees in technical sciences as well. Both were eventually requested to submit curriculum vitae and underwent a lot of additional scrutiny that way. As far as I recall both did eventually get their visas but it was very frustrating in the meantime.

Great point Kathryn! :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No offense to my hubby, but this potential issue does not apply to him. Unless his vitae screams "harmless" so much that it's threatening.

:lol:

USC attempting to obtain GC for Canadian husband

event.png

Apr 11, 2011: I-130 filed
Jul 11, 2011: I-130 approved
Aug 18, 2011: NVC process begins
Oct 6, 2011: NVC process completed
Nov 4, 2011: Interview date assigned
Dec 2, 2011: Interview at Consulate (Result: AP - No reason given on 221g)
Feb 7, 2012: Passport requested by Consulate
(...Husband needed passport for personal reasons during this time...)
Apr 9, 2012: Passport mailed to Consulate
Apr 25, 2012: Visa issued
May 1, 2012: Visa in hand
May 31, 2012: POE at Montreal's Trudeau Airport
Early July: Physical Green Card received in mail. Yes, it's green!

March 13, 2014: ROC filed (went to VSC)

March 17, 2014: NOA

April 22, 2014: Biometrics appointment

December 9, 2014: Case inquiry initiated

December 11, 2014: Response: "The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required security checks remain pending."

March 14, 2014: Received NOA that approval had been given on March 10; expect new GC within 60 days.

No offense to my hubby, but this potential issue does not apply to him. Unless his vitae screams "harmless" so much that it's threatening.

:lol:

Give it another week (if you can hold out that long) then get your Senator/Congressperson involved. :)

Yeah, I strongly suspect it's your fiance's background. They probably want to verify that they weren't involved in any terrorist organizations (which sounds crazy, I'm sure...but remember what the point of immigration is). Given the recent upheaval in Egypt, it's entirely possible that USCIS simply hasn't managed to make the verification so far. It happens sometimes -- good luck to you during the waiting process!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

His parents emigrated to Canada in the late 60s/early 70s to escape the persecution that was happening to Christians at the time. Most of their family is and has been in Canada for years. He was born and raised in Canada, has never been to Egypt, and has no family ties there presently.

If they want to look for ties, they'll find none, so I hope that if this is the reason they want AP, they can resolve this quickly...

I never, ever considered this as a possibility. And I really hope they don't turn up some whack-job distant cousin or something.

Craziness.

event.png

December 11, 2014: Response: "The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required security checks remain pending."

March 14, 2014: Received NOA that approval had been given on March 10; expect new GC within 60 days.

Timeline

Called DOS this morning, and received the run-around, no answers.

"His case is in AP."

Why?

"Because they need to do AP."

What exactly is AP?

"AP is AP." (She said that, really.)

What are some common reasons cases go into AP?

"Most cases go into AP because they need AP. They should have told you at the consulate."

They didn't tell him at the consulate.

"Well, what did you expect? That he would be approved that day?"

YES! :crying:

OMG, really?? She then suggested I contact Montreal which we know is only by email and takes weeks to respond.

Super helpful :bonk:

Edited by Tercerero

event.png

Called DOS this morning, and received the run-around, no answers.

"His case is in AP."

Why?

"Because they need to do AP."

What exactly is AP?

"AP is AP." (She said that, really.)

What are some common reasons cases go into AP?

"Most cases go into AP because they need AP. They should have told you at the consulate."

They didn't tell him at the consulate.

"Well, what did you expect? That he would be approved that day?"

YES! :crying:

OMG, really?? She then suggested I contact Montreal which we know is only by email and takes weeks to respond.

Super helpful :bonk:

I would have asked to speak to a supervisor, seriously. That is completely unacceptable. AP is AP? WTH? And yeah, after months, if not a year of gathering extensive paperwork, ensuring everything is in order, you would expect that any background checks would have been done in those months (year) so at the time of interview, you were approved for the visa.... Those people are morons, Yes i said it, they are MORONS!!!

Call back and request a supervisor.... so sorry you are going through this....

Timeline

I felt her tone was becoming irritated with me although I was calm and asking what I felt were legitimate questions. I did ask what "processing" was happening for the past 8 months that more was needed. That was when she asked me all surprised, "What? You expected him to be approved the same day?!" Like that isn't what happens the majority of the time.

My husband and I are going to take turns calling, so he can be the one to ask for a supervisor on the next call.

Edited by Tercerero

event.png

Timeline

BTW, when I called, I did not expect any status changes or anything, but I did just want a chance to ask these questions. She became more and more flustered as I asked more questions.

Seriously, if that's who they put on the phone for customer service, I'm a little nervous to see who her supervisor is.

event.png

BTW, when I called, I did not expect any status changes or anything, but I did just want a chance to ask these questions. She became more and more flustered as I asked more questions.

Seriously, if that's who they put on the phone for customer service, I'm a little nervous to see who her supervisor is.

Sounds like she became flustered because she didn't know what she was talking about.... The supervisor is a chance but you may have more answers as to what AP means exactly... You would hope that someone who has been there longer would know lol.

Some moron there tried to say i couldn't send things to them and request a signature confirmation. It would appear that they think a lockbox is somehow different than a PO box, I tried to explain that because it is a gov't office that of course many things would be sent to them from petitioners or others that would require a signature. so yes there should be someone to pick it up. A PO box is in a post office for goodness sakes, so they merely have to walk over and pick it up LOL. He wouldn't have it, and was getting increasingly angry when i challenged him on his stupidity... I laughed, wished him a good day and hung up

Timeline

I just find it so hard to believe that these are the people tasked with facilitating my life and marriage.

The interview lady seemed confused that my husband only had one sponsor (me). She mistakenly thought the PC was expired (not even close). Did she even review the file before the interview? He said she barely looked at him and insinuated that it was convenient for him to find an American to date and marry. Lovely...

USCIS/I-130 is the time to validate our relationship and do background checks, no?

NVC is the time to ensure his financial support and make sure that all the documents for the interview are gathered, no?

They've known his family history since the G-325A was filed in April. They've known his travel and visa history since September.

What on earth have they been doing all this time?

event.png

I just find it so hard to believe that these are the people tasked with facilitating my life and marriage.

The interview lady seemed confused that my husband only had one sponsor (me). She mistakenly thought the PC was expired (not even close). Did she even review the file before the interview? He said she barely looked at him and insinuated that it was convenient for him to find an American to date and marry. Lovely...

USCIS/I-130 is the time to validate our relationship and do background checks, no?

NVC is the time to ensure his financial support and make sure that all the documents for the interview are gathered, no?

They've known his family history since the G-325A was filed in April. They've known his travel and visa history since September.

What on earth have they been doing all this time?

It makes you wonder doesn't it? Judging by how she treated your husband, you should contact your senator/congressperson. I find that completely unacceptable. People meet their spouses all over the world, we don't pick and choose.. What bothers me more is that you are married! What more do they need? I came in on a K1, and my interview was pretty easy, the man was super nice. I can understand the wait for the green card once i arrived here, but from my understanding there's a lot more to it when you file for a CR1... These checks should have been completed if i'm not mistaken....

Timeline

Dear hubby got the 221g scanned...here it is. It does seem incomplete...

380456_2765431212031_1145421702_3179218_1515819664_n.jpg

Edited by Tercerero

event.png

Dear hubby got the 221g scanned...here it is. It does seem incomplete...

380456_2765431212031_1145421702_3179218_1515819664_n.jpg

Nah that is what they gave me, minus the AP part, the same part was checked off but instead of AP it said, DS 156 Daughter.

Other than that it was the same....

Just so bizarre given it's a CR1.....

Timeline

We received a blanket response from Montreal consulate in an email.

Good day,

Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview by a Consular Officer. Applicants are advised of this requirement when they apply. Most administrative processing is resolved within 60 days of the visa interview. When administrative processing is required, the timing will vary based on individual circumstances of each case.

We do not require any other information or documents for this process.

We realize that these extended time periods cause frustration to many individuals, and we are sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the immigrant visa program is to facilitate legitimate travel to the U.S. Nonetheless, the Consulate in Montreal, like all U.S. Embassies and Consulates, must adjudicate visas in accordance with the provisions of the law, and, in some cases, this involves extensive administrative processing. While we cannot predict when the processing your visa will be completed, please be assured that the Consulate and the State Department are aware of your concerns and will do all we can to see that the visa is adjudicated as soon as the qualifications have been verified.

I hope that this information may be useful.

Sincerely,

OP8

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.