cmoore25

Amazon & UK Treats

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Has anybody ordered their favorite UK treats off of amazon? I'm wondering how fresh these items are...

I found twirls, HP sauce and digestives all on amazon (haven't looked for other stuff yet) and all of these items are cheaper on amazon then they are from my local British imports store (and no shipping as I'm a prime member) - so I'm tempted to start stocking up using amazon...but was wondering if others had thoughts or experiences with this first!!

Thank you! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry I havent used Amazon for such purchases, but I have family send me my treats, have just received HP Brown Fruity Sauce and bisto gravy granules, sachets of curry sauce etc, its so much easier and doesnt cost me anything, just some kind words to my family. Good Luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have.

And I have 2 boxes of Dequadin on the way.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

i looked at it, if it is close to it's date they should tell you, i looked at crumpets, they said would have to eat within a few days of arrival

My Journey Uk To Usa

K1
I-129f Sent:- 19-Aug-2010
Date of Entry-27-May-2011
Date Married-24-June-2011

AOS
AOS/EAD Sent:08-Aug-2011
Green Card Received: 16-Nov-2011

ROC

i-751 Sent 01-Nov-2013

i-751 NOA1 04-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics App. 08-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics Completed 29-Nov-2013

Nearly there, and for those who are just starting the k1 it is a long wait but once it is over the time feels well spent

I've not had the best luck with products being in date on amazon. For example some candy was from 2010 and the bread I sent my daughter was furry by the time it arrived. Do you have a Trader joe's in your area? They carry crumpets. Hannaford and Shaws have British section where you can find a lot of items and I found a few things today in Christmas Tree Shop. I have had good luck before online with the English tea store. www.englishteastore.com

I will check out Trader Joe's - our Hannaford is seriously lacking in the British imports department...maybe I'll make a recommendation since others are carrying it!!

Checking out your link now - thanks :)

Ours doesn't have a lot either but luckily david isn't missing much I can get in a shop. He likes curry and they have the same sauces but not in the British section. If Allan likes those check the Indian section for sauce and bakery aisle for naan bread. He keeps saying he'd like a mince pie supper or some other equally unhealthy delight from the local chippy. The closest we came was his mum and I found some frozen sausage rolls and mince pies at Amanda's Union Jack on route 1 in Peabody MA. He liked them but they were very pricey. I think it was $24 per box of 12. It was last xmas so I'm not positive. Trader Joes had marmlade, steel cut oats, crumpets,scones and a couple kinds of naan bread. Christmas tree shop had several types of shortbread and biscuits as well as Robinson orange (it's a concentrated drink you make with water),Scottish tea, whisky cake and they also carry Christmas crackers if you want to wear a silly paper hat and get a little prize. It is hit or miss though. Sometimes I find stuff and other times not so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

There is so much good food in the US that there is always something I can substitue for anything I miss. Don't waste money on imports. Just find something better.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

There is so much good food in the US that there is always something I can substitue for anything I miss. Don't waste money on imports. Just find something better.

I'm sorry but I disagree. I've tried and tried to find thing similar or better but I've had no luck. A friend just bought me some lollies/candy from home. I forgot how awesome they were till I ate that first one. YUM! i'm super excited to make the profiteroles from the mix she brought :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'm sorry but I disagree. I've tried and tried to find thing similar or better but I've had no luck. A friend just bought me some lollies/candy from home. I forgot how awesome they were till I ate that first one. YUM! i'm super excited to make the profiteroles from the mix she brought :D

One strange thing I have noticed about the US food is that they add sugar to everything (bread tastes like cake) but chocolate which is supposed to have bags of sugar in it is kind of bitter and not even close to being sweet enough. I do miss good British sugar free bread but I sometimes make my own or I just have a bagel sandwich with ham egg and cheese instead. Yum! I'm certainly not starving.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

One strange thing I have noticed about the US food is that they add sugar to everything (bread tastes like cake) but chocolate which is supposed to have bags of sugar in it is kind of bitter and not even close to being sweet enough. I do miss good British sugar free bread but I sometimes make my own or I just have a bagel sandwich with ham egg and cheese instead. Yum! I'm certainly not starving.

Yep yep agree on the bread. I'm on multigrain bread as it's the only bread I've found so far that I can eat as bread (otherwise I HAVE to toast it) and on the chocolate agree as well!! I miss read Aussie chocolate but my friend brought me some so i have stock for a little while (including 2 blocks of Cadbury Snack... YUMMO!!)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I havent used Amazon for such purchases, but I have family send me my treats, have just received HP Brown Fruity Sauce and bisto gravy granules, sachets of curry sauce etc, its so much easier and doesnt cost me anything, just some kind words to my family. Good Luck.

THIS. I miss gravy so much. Nobody here seems to understand this concept.

My mum sends me twirls, cadburys fingers and tea but I really really miss the muller corner yogurts. Theres nothing like that here!

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.