TBoneTX

RUBbette Wives & Housework, si man

891 posts in this topic

Downhill skiing seems too scary to me. Also my sister snapped her femur in half skiing a few years back.

Downhill skiing is freaking awesome! It's one of those things that you do where you know it's pretty dangerous but at the same time, you have to overcome your fear and once you do, you're unstoppable!

And femurs? Well, you have two of them!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Downhill skiing seems too scary to me. Also my sister snapped her femur in half skiing a few years back.

Horses have been far more damaging to me than skiing. Yes, you can get hurt. I have never had anything but bumps and bruises, we DO wear helmets.

If Olya is anything like Alla she would have jumped on skiing just to get a new ski outfit! :lol:

I find skiing to be very relaxing, but invigorating, and definitely an aerobic workout!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I have never skied the North-east but hope to get there someday. I almost wound up in Burlington years ago for education beyond my BS degree but went to California instead. I envy you being so near so many legendary ski areas!

We finally have lots of snow, probably 3 feet deep even though it has settled so much you can walk on top without snowshoes. We have had snow all winter, as usual, courtesy of Lake Superior's natural snow making! This year has been unusually warm so it has not been able to get as deep as usual. I am not near Iron Mt, though that is a good thing, my ex lives there! :lol: Our hills are better than theirs anyway. We don't have the sheer vertical you have there and especially not like my favorite places out west but we do have it pretty good for the midwest, 900'! The problem we have here is that the owner of the best place, Mt Bohemia, won't invest in snow-making. He wants everything 'natural'! (Especially the girls when he does his yearly 'mardi-gras' party! :lol: ) He won't even groom anything! Early in the season the wind at the top usually keeps blowing the dry snow off the rock bands and you can easily ruin your skis. Yesterday was fantastic though, we had several heavy, wet snow-falls last week to restore the base and then a foot of dry powder fell the night before. I am feeling it today though, not in as good a shape this year.

Season ticket prices for Bohemia are only $99 if you buy on the one day in December they have a promotion. The lines are long with all the kids from the university there! The smaller hill charges $800 for a family season pass for up to 5 people. It's a good deal if you have several people who will actually use it!

I keep hoping I can at least get Olya to give it a try. The experience being out there on a bright sunny day after being inside for months is exhilarating! She wants me to promise I won't ever ask the kids if they want to go to the 'expert only' hill but I won't do it. I am looking forward to skiing with them, at least, in the future. I think Olya might get into skiing next year when I start teaching Lera to ski.

I have skied out west in Colorado and Utah and also Arizona (!!!) Freaked me out but Flagstaff has some awesome skiing! I never thought of Arizona as a place to ski. I do not enjoy the expert runs and stay away from them now. When I was young and dumb I did that,and it wasn't much fun then either. I understand why people do it of course,it is challenging and more exciting to say the least, but I go for a workout and pleasure and to me that is not pleasure, but have at it James!

The Green Mts are nothing like the rockies of course. On the other hand because the mountains are more gentle the resorts here have mind boggling amounts of trails and runs, sometimes covering two or three mountains and they measure trail length in upwards of 60 miles! You ride a lift up, then take another lift up and can end up miles apart from each other before you get down if you go down opposite trails! It is awesome! You literally need maps! :lol: 2000 + vertical drop is pretty common. Jaypeak has the highest vertical drop and I think it is a bit over 3000 ft. This Bretton Woods, near Littleton NH, where we are building some new condos and a new ski rental facility, is the biggest I have seen yet!

we have some of the "natural" areas here also, no snowmaking, and only one bog resort has night skiing but many of the little community hills have night skiing, but usually only 2-3 runs and maybe 700 ft drop. These are basically city parks and they are cheap to ski, $5-$15, and close by. You would think they would get laughed at, but not so. They are very popular, fun places, great for families with children, great for a littl ski workout without driving far.

Around here, Stowe and Smugglers Notch are the "ritz" and the usual destination for out of state skiers and they ARE nice, no question. They claim a large percentage of their guests are from Europe. They have great lodging and "famous chef" restaraunts. No holds barred. But locals prefer Bolton, Jay Peak and Mad River Glen. MRG is a traditional ski resort, no snowmaking and NO SNOWBOARDS! :lol: Pasha hates it. :P Beautiful place,gorgeous surroundings but you better have an AWD or 4WD to get up there! Their slogan is "Ski it if you can" :huh: Jay Peak is at the border and popular with the Quebecois, they also have an indoor water park open all year. Bolton is a down and dirty ski "resort" but has night skiing, a great number of trails, 20 minutes from home, good road access, it is the HOT local ski joint. It really is great SKIING, but not much else. Stay away on Friday nights when ALL the local high schools send busloads of students for the Friday Student Night Special from 4-8pm. Alla is really pleased that Pasha does this, she much prefers him having active physical hobbies. I am guessing the place is pretty highly charged with hormones on Friday night. :lol: There are dozens more and many people go on ski safari all season trying to hit all of them. We have driven down to Okema, about 3 hours drive, and it is really a very nice place but not worth the drive for us. It is easily reached for a days skiing from Boston and that is the attraction of that place.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Downhill skiing is freaking awesome! It's one of those things that you do where you know it's pretty dangerous but at the same time, you have to overcome your fear and once you do, you're unstoppable!

And femurs? Well, you have two of them!

Chemically, some people get positive adrenaline highs out of doing thing that are fast, dangerous, etc. I am not one of those people. I would much rather be chilling in the lounge by the fire with whiskey and some trashy reading material.

I have tried it once; do not want.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Chemically, some people get positive adrenaline highs out of doing thing that are fast, dangerous, etc. I am not one of those people. I would much rather be chilling in the lounge by the fire with whiskey and some trashy reading material.

I have tried it once; do not want.

So sitting near an open fire with a flammable liquid in your hand doesn't strike you as dangerous? Then why do we let children ski but not drink whiskey?

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

So sitting near an open fire with a flammable liquid in your hand doesn't strike you as dangerous? Then why do we let children ski but not drink whiskey?

I also wouldn't sit very close to the fire!

Cognitive development biological processes blah blah blah. And if I had kids, I doubt they'd grow up skiing.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Horses have been far more damaging to me than skiing. Yes, you can get hurt. I have never had anything but bumps and bruises, we DO wear helmets.

If Olya is anything like Alla she would have jumped on skiing just to get a new ski outfit! :lol:

I find skiing to be very relaxing, but invigorating, and definitely an aerobic workout!

I took out an ACL skiing. It was probably already partially damaged by an industrial accident I had while working in college. I never got it repaired. I have had orthopedists express surprise I can still ski and especially that I still ski the moguls (not well but I have fun and get down in one piece). I have had them insist on checking my knee to attempt to prove me wrong right on the spot. I agree about wearing helmets. Besides, they are so light you forget they are there and they are great to help keep your head warm!

Having the right equipment makes a huge difference. There are some new ultra-fat powder skis that make deep powder ridiculously easy. I skied them yesterday and you can go from powder to packed to ice and back between each turn and it feels as easy as being on a groomed run! I got to try out a pair two years ago in Utah and the 3-4 ft deep fresh powder was an absolute blast! They are an even bigger boost to powder skiing than parabolic skis have been to the groomed stuff.

Timeline

I took out an ACL skiing. It was probably already partially damaged by an industrial accident I had while working in college. I never got it repaired. I have had orthopedists express surprise I can still ski and especially that I still ski the moguls (not well but I have fun and get down in one piece). I have had them insist on checking my knee to attempt to prove me wrong right on the spot. I agree about wearing helmets. Besides, they are so light you forget they are there and they are great to help keep your head warm!

Having the right equipment makes a huge difference. There are some new ultra-fat powder skis that make deep powder ridiculously easy. I skied them yesterday and you can go from powder to packed to ice and back between each turn and it feels as easy as being on a groomed run! I got to try out a pair two years ago in Utah and the 3-4 ft deep fresh powder was an absolute blast! They are an even bigger boost to powder skiing than parabolic skis have been to the groomed stuff.

There are some serious ski nuts here of course. They have racks of skis in their garage or basements. I have a single pair and so does Alla. Probably not perfect for anything but good enough for anything. But I can see why people want to have different skis and enjoy them for different uses. Heck I have a lot of guns and not many skis, some people have only one gun! (I heard it said anyway)

Hey I feel good that I am a heart attack survivor and still ski, plus have some spinal stenosis and I do fine with the aid of some non prescription pain relief (4 Motrin) :lol:

I also wouldn't sit very close to the fire!

Cognitive development biological processes blah blah blah. And if I had kids, I doubt they'd grow up skiing.

Better not have kids here, eekee. I hear they are born with skis on their feet. OUCH!

Gary And Alla

Chemically, some people get positive adrenaline highs out of doing thing that are fast, dangerous, etc. I am not one of those people.

Nor am I.

When I was little my dad would pick up my sister and I from the babysitter's house. He'd hand my sister a can, chug his own beer and then peel out. We'd go careening down the back roads about 80 miles per hour and then he'd cut the lights. My sister (who was about four at the time) would yell, "Faster daddy! Faster!" Meanwhile I'd cower in the back seat holding my head in my hands crying. "Noooooo. Slow down, daddy. Turn on the lights. Slow down!"

I would much rather be chilling in the lounge by the fire with whiskey and some trashy reading material.

I like sitting around the fire, but after a few sips of brandy, I'm knocked out.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There are some serious ski nuts here of course. They have racks of skis in their garage or basements. I have a single pair and so does Alla. Probably not perfect for anything but good enough for anything. But I can see why people want to have different skis and enjoy them for different uses.

I resemble that remark! :lol: I have 9 or 10 pairs of skis but some are older and used only when there are too many rocks still showing. 3 pairs cover most other situations.

Groomed snow - Rossignol Zenith 183cm?

Ice - Rossignol Vipers 178cm?

Powder - Rossignol Super 7 195cm

The Zeniths are really 'parabolic', fat tips and tails, narrow in the waist. Makes it so easy to effortlessly carve up the groomers! My usual choice. (Think Marilyn Monroe)

The Vipers I had read reviews rating them very highly for ice. I had always been afraid of ice so I decided to try them. Amazing! Incredible edge hold and control on ice. I actually look for ice and ski on it! (Think Russian super-model!)

The Super 7's have normal camber under the boot but the front and back of the skis have a reverse camber (convex curve against the snow instead of concave) which makes skiing in powder amazingly easy! In addition they are really wide which helps get you up on top even if you don't like going really fast! (These would be the J Lo's!)

Almost all skis made now are parabolic. I hope you are using skis made in the last 12-14 years when they came out with these. It was like adding power steering to the ski! I am not yet much into guns but your comparison does seem apt about different tools for different circumstances!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
And femurs?
Femurs are those little African monkeys, right, si man?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It seems that this thread is pretty much dead, sigh man. Shall its closure be requested?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Requesting to close a RUB thread???

NO! OK I am going to clean the bedroom (Alla asked for that gift for Intl Women's day)

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Just now chiming in on the ski stuff. Loved it in my younger days until I busted my knee, not to mention my skis on Mt. Snow. Been a scuba diver ever since.

NO! OK I am going to clean the bedroom (Alla asked for that gift for Intl Women's day)

Do a good job, it will be inspected. :whistle:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.